Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Plausible Fictitious Unusual Workings on Your Layout

• RMweb Gold

I will be running 'Holcombe Brook & Tottington' as the previous owners did which was a what if scenario with the electric passenger trains, Class 504's, running in the 1960's, with a presumption that the urban sprall of the 80's started 20 years earlier. I like the idea of undoing all those cuts of the 50's & 60's.

Being a north west layout it will have the famous wakes weeks so there is a need for seaside specials. Then there are football specials (I will have to invent a new First Division team Holcombe Brook Rovers!) which presumbably could have all sorts of trains on them, a Western Blue Pullman visited Bury on a football special, there is a picture in one of the books on Bury.

Peter

Well, a circus train is unusual, but plausible, half a dozen horse boxes, a couple of elephant vans and cattle vans, as well as some general NPCCS vehicles.

:sarcastic: .........and a bunch of clowns!

That`s the passengers, not we modellers! :laugh:

A few branch lines near works were used for testing a photographing engines (the Highworth near Swindon was one).

Also I think a few branches in the West Country (and probably elsewhere) were used to park the Royal Train overnight, right up to fairly recent times

Not that it is in my era/region, but I wonder if anybody knows what would be prototypical rolling stock for the transportation of weekly production from the jam butty mines in Knotty Ash during the late sixties/early seventies?

I have a very hazy recollection that the Diddymen transported everything on a 1970s gravy train, so I'd suggest 45T TTA tank wagons.

I only have problems with my exhibition layout, but I still do it. I have a model of the yet to be built clan Hengist which is a regular performer and my best loco, which runs on it.

Causes lots of comment good and bad.

Jack

See post #9 above:-

Railtour duty is always a fallback option. :) I am modelling a branchline on the B&NSR, City of Truro did a railtour on the line in 1957 so if they ever make one in N gauge I will snap one up as it is easy to justify it making a small run down the branch. I also have Evening Star which could be a tad harder as it was not built until 1960 (the B&NSR closed to passengers in 1959). However I plan to run the layout up until the green diesel-era anyway so I will just claim it retained its passenger services for a bit longer and ES made a Railtour visit somewhere in the early 60s.

I think that Rail Tours were given special dispensation to run on "closed to passenger" lines. There is an undated picture in the "Railways of Warwickshire" site of a rail-tour at Shipston on Stour apparently after such closure. (The web master [That's NOT me!] would be interested to know the Tour identity and date, also the where-abouts of the photos being taken by the participants!)

I travelled in a Narrow Gauge Railway Society trip on the V of R after passenger services had ceased, using school-type benches in the open trucks. Caused much amusement to the local populace as we crossed Raven Square!

It seems from many examples I've seen that last excursions/ railtours were frequently run over by then freight-only lines. This seems to have been very common during the sixties, with many of the Scottish branches hosting such trips.

It seems from many examples I've seen that last excursions/ railtours were frequently run over by then freight-only lines. This seems to have been very common during the sixties, with many of the Scottish branches hosting such trips.

I half expect StuartP's Portwilliam in due course to feature the Garlieston railtour consisting of Caley 0-6-0 and a rake of wooden Highs, rammed with hardy railtourists. :)

• RMweb Premium

Hi

I've always liked the SR 3rd Rail EMUs and have been kit building a few over the last two or three years.

I can't really justify these on a Woodhead themed layout (unless someone can come up with a plausible reason) so I will one day just have to build a second layout for just for these.

Cheers

Paul

I think that Rail Tours were given special dispensation to run on "closed to passenger" lines. There is an undated picture in the "Railways of Warwickshire" site of a rail-tour at Shipston on Stour apparently after such closure. (The web master [That's NOT me!] would be interested to know the Tour identity and date, also the where-abouts of the photos being taken by the participants!)

I think that railtour was in the mid-1950s so after the line had been closed to passengers but was still open for frieght. This one in fact.

http://www.sixbellsj...s/550424re.html

There was another (a brakevan special) in the late 50s behind standard 2 mogul 78009.

In fact, Shipston-on-Stour seems to have been a favourite for specials. There was one in 1952 behind a M&SWJR 2-4-0 (prototype for everything).

http://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/50s/5208xxsl.html

I have always thought that Moreton-in-the-Marsh station would make a very good model, particularly if one imagined that Shipston branch had retained its passenger service for longer. Cross-country route so a modest (but attractive) GWR station that could still have anything up to a Castle running through with an express. Shipston branch with all the interchange workings that implies. Rather smart UD creamery at the north end of the station as a dedicated source of freight (could be modelled in half-relief if short on space). And there are convenient road bridges at both ends of the station to act as scenic breaks.

I have always thought that Moreton-in-the-Marsh station would make a very good model, particularly if one imagined that Shipston branch had retained its passenger service for longer. Cross-country route so a modest (but attractive) GWR station that could still have anything up to a Castle running through with an express. Shipston branch with all the interchange workings that implies. Rather smart UD creamery at the north end of the station as a dedicated source of freight (could be modelled in half-relief if short on space). And there are convenient road bridges at both ends of the station to act as scenic breaks.

On similar lines (or, indeed, exactly the same line!), Evesham would be a good basis for a big roundy roundy (maybe a loft layout at home, or a club exhibition special), because you could include both the GWR and Midland stations giving plenty of opportunity for lots of different locos and stock to pass through. Plus you have prototypes for lots of nice cliches: A river bridge, a rail-over-rail bridge, a small loco depot and lots of shunting.

Hi

I've always liked the SR 3rd Rail EMUs and have been kit building a few over the last two or three years.

I can't really justify these on a Woodhead themed layout (unless someone can come up with a plausible reason) so I will one day just have to build a second layout for just for these.

Cheers

Paul

Being towed to Horwich for overall as they were transferred from Doncaster, due to a high volume of work at that site?

XF

• RMweb Premium

I've still got my Hellifield Bogie snowplough train from Long Preston and can't bear to dispose of it so it will run through Lancaster Green Ayre and go up the branch to Castle, obvioulsy being sent to the LNWR section for testinjg over shap by the new LMS bosses, However it might be closely followed by a Pennsy 01a and I haven't thought up a reason for that other than the old chestnut of "Its my train set".

Jamie

Archived