THE RAMCHESTER CHRONICLES

HSB

Rod already has a Jinty ( a San Cheng RTR one). In fact he has two Jinties but the other one was built for him to Scale7 standards so can't be used on Ramchester.

I have done a bit more work on the background scenery to the left of the station building. I have built up the ground slightly behind the platform to more closely match the backscene and I have decided to alter the hotel fence at the same time. The two pics show the basic modifications with and without the station building and fences in place.

post-12623-0-81417400-1422645547_thumb.jpg

post-12623-0-44210200-1422645712.jpg

The strip of "earth" in front of the fence is going to be the station garden.

• Like 1

Here are a couple of pictures of the other side of the 4F as I realized that apart from the two shots on Dave M's layout you have only seen one side..

The first picture shows the 4F in front of the signal box. The second shot shows the 4F and the Jinty. Picture 3 shows recent progress on the BG's ends with the corridor connections fitted. The buffers are still not fixed into place as I want to paint the housings before I attach the buffers permanently. The ends need the hand rails and some other details to finish.

Rod

post-13361-0-26198200-1422721169_thumb.jpg

post-13361-0-62488500-1422721709_thumb.jpg

post-13361-0-50042000-1422721820_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I forgot to ask him, yet I was chatting with Jim very recently and there was no sign of him shutting up shop - thank goodness! - as there are a few kits I need from him (but I am awaiting some more track being laid on Down Ampney first!).

I wish I modelled the LMS/LMR (or S&D?) in steam era - I love Jinty's.

Here are a couple of pictures of the other side of the 4F as I realized that apart from the two shots on Dave M's layout you have only seen one side..

The first picture shows the 4F in front of the signal box. The second shot shows the 4F and the Jinty. Picture 3 shows recent progress on the BG's ends with the corridor connections fitted. The buffers are still not fixed into place as I want to paint the housings before I attach the buffers permanently. The ends need the hand rails and some other details to finish.

Rod

Hi Rod,

I cant remember (without cycling back through the Thread) if we covered this off, yet I presume, as you are modelling early cross-ever era,  that you are - with the steps on the ends of the BG - modelling the coach as pre-window reinforcements/mods etc?

If so, how does the thickness of the EZB plastic sides compare to eg. a Lima MK1's sides?

Kindest,

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

I forgot to ask him, yet I was chatting with Jim very recently and there was no sign of him shutting up shop - thank goodness! - as there are a few kits I need from him (but I am awaiting some more track being laid on Down Ampney first!).

I wish I modelled the LMS/LMR (or S&D?) in steam era - I love Jinty's.

CME

Two words:  "Preservation charter"   ;)  Get a Jinty and tell everyone its a preserved loco pulling a chartered train of railfans.  Rule #1 applies.  

Hi CME.

Mike is right - if you like Jinty locos get one and worry about it later. They wandered all over the Midland region of BR and much beyond at times so I am sure you will not need an excuse to have one on your layout.

My BG has window frames so is not the first build. However it is difficult to find details of exactly when and what alterations were made to these vehicles in the late 50's and early 60's so I am building a generic version which I hope will be as accurate as I can get it. One thing I do not want to do is to put the kit to one side until I have the relevant information as I feel that at my time of life to do this will probably mean that it will never get built. As a result I am prepared to tolerate minor inaccuracies in order to get it finished. If it looks right then it will be right (for me) but I will try to build it to the best of my limited ability and to get it as accurate as I can manage.

Thanks for your interest.

Rod

• Like 1

Hi CME.

Mike is right - if you like Jinty locos get one and worry about it later. They wandered all over the Midland region of BR and much beyond at times so I am sure you will not need an excuse to have one on your layout.

My BG has window frames so is not the first build. However it is difficult to find details of exactly when and what alterations were made to these vehicles in the late 50's and early 60's so I am building a generic version which I hope will be as accurate as I can get it. One thing I do not want to do is to put the kit to one side until I have the relevant information as I feel that at my time of life to do this will probably mean that it will never get built. As a result I am prepared to tolerate minor inaccuracies in order to get it finished. If it looks right then it will be right (for me) but I will try to build it to the best of my limited ability and to get it as accurate as I can manage.

Thanks for your interest.

Rod

Thanks Rod,

Another purchase has honed into view - more quickly than I thought - so a Jinty will have to wait. I'm sorry to say that 'kettles' are secondary to the diesels at the mo, although when time permits I would really love to back date that layout as I love Panniers and Halls et al (4F's, Black 5's too).

I understand about the coach and by and large I agree (I only mention such as I would hate for you to paint it and I hadnt said anything), the MKI's are a little mine-field at times, having said that the rule of thumb is, when the window frames were added (to correct corrosion problems), the steps were/had been removed from the ends, at or about the same time - how do I know? I nearly made the same error, so did Darren Sherwood-Jones (in a mag. article). I am not a pedant and like you I try to get the basics right.

Hi CME

Cant answer your question re thickness of Lima Mark 1 sides vs Easy Build sides as Howard's Mark 1's have been finished and I do not want to attempt to take them apart without his permission.

Rod

That's okay Rod, it was just a point of interest, I guess I could get an idea from my 121/122 against one of my Limas.

With thanks and kind regards,

CME

Howard and I had a further session yesterday afternoon and a little more progress was made. He worked on the scenery in the area between the station building and the hotel in the corner and began "planting" a hedge which when complete will hide the fact that the road actually goes nowhere. In the meantime I carried on with the BG which hopefully is nearing the stage where some painting is required before assembly. I did paint the buffer housings satin black in readiness for their being fitted permantly to the ends.

Rod

• Like 1

Another stint in "Platform 2" this afternoon. Howard has continued to work on the scenery by the station and had to repair the hotel fence. In the meantime I decided to give the BG a rest for today and pick up on my Black 5. This model is a San Cheng product which had been fully painted and lettered and lightly weathered. As purchased it came with screw couplings which are way beyond my vision to use. This has meant that the loco has been run "light engine" for most of its life unless someone present couples up my rake of ex LMS coaches behind it. So this afternoon I fitted a loop of 1mm brass wire to the tender having firstly carefully drilling two small holes in the underside of the chassis. The loop was then bent up and super glued into place. I had to make three attempts at bending the loop before I was satisfied with it so with tea drinking this little job took all afternoon. Happy days!!

Rod

• Like 1

Actually, I wasn't repairing the fence but doing some heavy weathering to age and lighten it (it looked too dark before - especially in the photos). it did, however, get knocked off the table and 're-kitted'. In it's new configuration two of the joins are not at right angles and were only lightly cemented together which will be no problem when it's glued in position but made it a little vulnerable when handling. Next session I will stick the sections back together before planting it permanently on the layout along with a small tree I made this afternoon.

Not much progress on Ramchester this weekend as the weather has been so nice that we have been out walking. Maggie and I are volunteer walk leaders for the local Care Trust and lead walks on Saturday mornings and walk by ourselves on Sunday. Good stuff for cardiac rehab! That said I have been giving some thought to my proposed German layout which I hope to start later this year. For some time now I have been thinking along the lines of a branch terminus and Howard has drawn up a few ideas on this theme. However I am anxious to avoid duplication with both his proposed German layout and Ramchester - both of which are branch lines.

My thinking at present is that maybe I should model a more urban area - for example a German version of something like Cyril Freezers "Minories" or perhaps to do something "industrial". The latter would make it somewhat difficult to justify my passenger train. It is intended that this layout will be capable of portability so I can take it down when operating Ramchester if necessary. All these are just musings at the moment but a new theme is opening up which I will explore before starting construction.

What do you think.

Rod

Rod,

Over in Howard's layout thread "Brückenheim" I have put several links useable for "generic" research.

As you want a small, portable O gauge layout your selection is somewhat limited - right off the top of my head I can not think of anything urban.

As for an German "Minories" equivalent you would be hard put except for urban central terminus where engines were swapped anyway ...

I really do not want to discourage you ... but research (with stressing "search") will have to be done in order to locate a suitable prototype.

Truly small stuff is (almost always) rural ...

Best Regards,

Christian

the hotel fence has now been permanently planted in position along with a new tree in the station garden and a bit more greenery added to the general area.

post-12623-0-27894500-1423594933.jpg

Edited by HSB
  • Like 5

Thanks Christian for your valuable remarks. I have had a brief look at your links on Howard's thread and will go back to them in the very near future. As I indicated above I am only musing at present so who knows what I will finally decide to build  - only time will tell.

Rod

At last my Black 5 has had Bachmann compatible loops fitted to both the loco and the tender. It has now entered full service on Ramchester and I have included some pictures of its arrival and departure from the station.

Picture 1 sees the class 5 running tender first out of the tunnel on empty coaching stock in readiness to form the train to London.

Picture 2 captures the London train leaving Ramchester.

Picture 3 is taken inside the tunnel as the London train approaches. The camera man must be very careful if he is not to be overcome by fumes!!

Hope you enjoy the photos.

Rod

post-13361-0-02933600-1423847104_thumb.jpg

post-13361-0-93449200-1423847323_thumb.jpg

post-13361-0-88960700-1423847505_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Hello Everyone.

Whilst Howard was busy with the scenery yesterday I did a little more work on the BG. The buffers have now been super glued into place and the steps which are on the buffer beam have been formed and also glued into place, so apart from the hand rails the ends are now complete. On looking through the information that I have I find that some of the holes for the hand rails on the guards door appear to be in the wrong place. This will mean that I will have to re drill them and fill in the ones which are incorrect. A bit disappointing this but at least I have the opportunity to put the matter right.

Will keep you posted.

Rod

• Like 1

Thanks Christian for your valuable remarks. I have had a brief look at your links on Howard's thread and will go back to them in the very near future. As I indicated above I am only musing at present so who knows what I will finally decide to build  - only time will tell.

Rod

Good evening Rod,

I got something which may or may not be of use for you in your quest for a foldable (micro) layout modelling German prototype in an urban location.

Do you wish me to post my prototype info (lots) here or somewhere else? (I want to avoid hijacking this thread)

A teaser :angel: :

a_Z-EB-V-36-238-Bf-Elberfeld-Kurzzug-HOL

(from http://www.bahnen-wuppertal.de/html/cronenberger-strecke.html)

Wuppertal is a real railwayman's town :sungum:

Best Regards,

Christian

• Like 3

Please don't encourage him, Christian! There's still plenty of work to do on Ramchester (or should I say for ME to do!) and I want Rod to help me build my layout before he starts on anything else!  :umbrage:

Very interesting link, though. Thanks for that.  :good:

Good evening Rod,

I got something which may or may not be of use for you in your quest for a foldable (micro) layout modelling German prototype in an urban location.

Do you wish me to post my prototype info (lots) here or somewhere else? (I want to avoid hijacking this thread)

A teaser :angel: :

a_Z-EB-V-36-238-Bf-Elberfeld-Kurzzug-HOL

(from http://www.bahnen-wuppertal.de/html/cronenberger-strecke.html)

Wuppertal is a real railwayman's town :sungum:

Best Regards,

Christian

I think I still have a HO model of one of those locos somewhere-nice!

I agree with Howard though, I have to stay focused too or else it wont get done LOL!

ATVB

CME

We worked on the layout on Wednesday and today while yesterday we went for a play with somebody else's train set.

The station fence is now firmly in place and the scenery behind it more-or-less complete while Rod now has the ends on his BG.

post-12623-0-10259500-1424457867.jpg

• Like 3