THE RAMCHESTER CHRONICLES

HSB

Help!! I looked at the BG's sides yesterday after I had speayed them and was disappointed to find that there was a number of bubbles on them where I had obviously applied too much paint. I tried to carefully sand these out with very fine wet  & dry paper but around the door hinges this did not seem to work. I tried thinners vut that did not work either.

I now feel that my only recourse is to strip off the paint from the sides but what to use? This is an Easibuild kit with plastic sides and I do not want to damage these. Can anyone point me in the right direction - perhaps there is another thread somewhere on RMweb with the answer.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Rod

Hi Rod, I see other people have already suggested a few solutions.

I use a cheap and cheerful nail polish remover from Boots. It costs about a pound and is a purple liquid. Part of their 'essentials range'. I have used this many times on all sorts of plastics without issue. Best use a cotton bud soaked in the nail polish remover rather than a cotton wool pad as they tend to leave little wisps of the pad on raised detail.

I have found that the Phoenix rattle cans are prone to blockage or spitting and this can lead to overspray issues.

Spraying from 9 - 12 inches away is about right.

If you have a blocked nozzle, try and remove any obvious blockage with a pin. Make sure after spraying that you invert the can and spray until the spray is clear.

Once you have cleaned up the BG and are ready to try again, test spray on a bit of card first.

Hope this helps.

Sorry to hear you had some difficulties with this.

D.

P.s. If the above experience has put you off spraying, I would be happy to spray the model for you if you like. No charge. Just PM me.

I used Phoenix 'SuperStrip' on one of the Lima Mk.1s I reworked some time ago which the previous owner had repainted and it did seem to work quite well. I have found the bottle which still has some left in it so I will take it round to Rod's next session.

Hi Howard, :)

Well done that man - you are a good friend! :angel:  :imsohappy:  :yes:

The Pheonix stuff is re-usable, but 9 times out of 10, it isnt always practical to reuse and re-store/bottle it - Ive found it useful though. :yes:

With brass and other metals most common or garden paint strippers are okay, Ive even heard of some using brake-fluid.

Kindest,

CME :)

Hi Rod, I see other people have already suggested a few solutions.

I use a cheap and cheerful nail polish remover from Boots. It costs about a pound and is a purple liquid. Part of their 'essentials range'. I have used this many times on all sorts of plastics without issue. Best use a cotton bud soaked in the nail polish remover rather than a cotton wool pad as they tend to leave little wisps of the pad on raised detail.

I have found that the Phoenix rattle cans are prone to blockage or spitting and this can lead to overspray issues.

Spraying from 9 - 12 inches away is about right.

If you have a blocked nozzle, try and remove any obvious blockage with a pin. Make sure after spraying that you invert the can and spray until the spray is clear.

Once you have cleaned up the BG and are ready to try again, test spray on a bit of card first.

Hope this helps.

Sorry to hear you had some difficulties with this.

D.

P.s. If the above experience has put you off spraying, I would be happy to spray the model for you if you like. No charge. Just PM me.

Hi FD, :)

Another nice fellow. :imsohappy:  :yes:

Swmbo went out last night for a meal with some of the girls - that's what they call each other, yet most of em are way past their teens! :derisive:  - and her putting on nail polish, some of the old cellulose based stuff, made me remember just how volatile it is - it stank the house out and the love of my life whinges whenever I open up a fairly innocuous tinlet of enamel paint <rolls eyes>! :derisive:

I like your tip on using nail varnish remover but I would say that one must only buy the type that you have tested as cellulose and/or acetone is of course a powerful solvent and could really mess up plastics.

I have been - although as most know my model making progress has been slow of late - trialling a few new products (I was asked to review them - which is taking longer than first thought :help: ) and FMR's 'Model Clean' will, if the acrylic paint is fairly fresh (ie a few days old), remove the paint quite effectively (acrylics can only usually be removed, with difficulty, using Acetone). Model Clean and the Ultimate range of products, such as the Airbrush Cleaner and Thinner are reasonably friendly, with only mild aromas, akin to eg. IPA and/or Screenwash and all seem very effective. I thoroughly recommend them and I am discovering more about their effectiveness and abilities each time that I use them.

As the Phoenix product is easier to access and 'known' I recommended that, but for future reference, I would recommend that one have a chat with Steve at FMR as he knows his onions as he used to be a painting pro - I believe that he had some input into the JLTRT paint ranges (but dont quote me on that), LINK below;-

http://www.finescalemodelworld.co.uk/

I hope that helps.

Kindest,

CME :)

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Thank you everyone for your kind advice. I have just picked up a book from WH Smith published by Model Rail magazine called "The definitive Guide to Painting" and this afternoon I spent a very pleasant couple of hours on the decking going through some of it (accompanied by the odd glass to two of lager!) While this is no substitute for actually "doing" the job it has given me a bit of confidence to have a go at stripping off the paint. The author seems to use either the Phoenix product or something called "Strip Magic" which is available from Gaugemaster.

I will try Howard's spare stock first and see how it goes and then go from there.

Thanks again everyone for your help. Will let you know how things turn out.

Rod

Edited by railwayrod

Help!! I looked at the BG's sides yesterday after I had speayed them and was disappointed to find that there was a number of bubbles on them where I had obviously applied too much paint. I tried to carefully sand these out with very fine wet  & dry paper but around the door hinges this did not seem to work. I tried thinners vut that did not work either.

I now feel that my only recourse is to strip off the paint from the sides but what to use? This is an Easibuild kit with plastic sides and I do not want to damage these. Can anyone point me in the right direction - perhaps there is another thread somewhere on RMweb with the answer.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Rod

A few years ago I got a Badger "Air Eraser" at a model RR show for cheap.  Great investment to strip both factory paint, and my own failures, off both plastic and brass.  The Aluminum Oxide which came with it worked great, but isn't cheap.  I learned that baking soda also works, but not as well, and its a lot cheaper.  Since I got it I haven't used any chemical paint strippers.

Thanks Mike and all those who have given me the benefit of their experience.. Today I have tried the Phoenix product which Howard had spare and with some trepidation I made a start on one side of the BG. I worked steadily at it for  a couple of hours and I am very pleased to say that it worked. I now have one side virtually back to bare plastic and brass. Next time I will tackle the other side and then give both a thorough clean ready to try again with the spray can.

This afternoon Howard had a go at repainting the paving slabs which he had laboriously replaced along the platform edge and if he is satisfied he will them attempt to paint a white line along its edge.

Will keep you informed re progress.

Rod

• Like 1

Hi Jinty.

Thanks for your kind words re the paint stripping. Yes it was the Phoenix stripper I used as Howard had some spare so I thought I would try this first. If this had not worked I would have tried something else but this is now not necessary.

Rod

Stripped the pain off the other side of my BG this afternoon so I now have the two sides more or less back to basics. I will double check that I have removed all of the paint before I give the sides a thorough clean ready to start again.

Howard has been busy colouring the far side platform paving slabs and has painted a white line along the platform front edge; he now has to paint the white line along the top of the platform. I can see that keeping it straight is going to be a problem but he is talking about using low tack masking tape. Has anyone got any other ideas?

At least work is moving forward even if sometimes we have to go back before we can move ahead. Ah well!!

Rod

As Rod has mentioned previously I have been painting the white line down the edge of the platform. After experimenting with various strips of wood as a guide/masker I have ended up doing it free-hand. While not perfect by the time I have tidied it up and it has received a good coat of grime it should look okay. 

• Like 1

Yesterday I finished getting all the paint off the BG and gave it a rub down with very fine paper. Next job is to persuade Howard to deepen the lines representing the doors as they have become quite shallow with the work that I have had to do on them and I am sure they will disappear with another coat of paint.

Once he has done this for me it is into the washing plant for a thorough clean and a second attempt at painting.

Wish me luck.

Rod

Edited by railwayrod
  • Like 1

I had a go at clearing out the grooves around the doors on Rod's BG today although it was hard to get the knife to stay in the original grooves and I've had to fill a few nicks in with a bit of filler. Hopefully, once it's been lightly sanded and given a new coat of paint it should look okay at normal viewing distance.

I have also been sticking a layer of thick black paper on top of the platform to bring the level up to match the edging slabs and also, hopefully, to help bed the building in.

post-12623-0-41749800-1434387699.jpg

• Like 5

Had a short session this afternoon and managed to fit the two tie bars to my Slater's 13t open wagon. This is almost complete (except for painting - ugh) but I am still waiting for Slater's to send me a new casting for the brake hose retainer. The 12t Vanfit tis also waiting for the same part before it too can be finished.

More anon

Rod

The platform edging looks great Rod, I do like that Station building as well, it sits with the backscene really nicely.

I find broken parts in kits annoying, I had both the brake levers in my Fruit D snapped, so I mended them with some brass rod and glue, then I found out that JLTRT have a 'broken parts' guarantee!!! Typical

Jinty

Thank you Father Dougal for your valued enquiry.

Today I have sanded down with very, very fine paper the two coach sides following Howards work on deepening the door grooves and filling the odd scratch. I have also given them a good wash and rinse and at present they are laying in the railway room to thoroughly dry before I attempt to paint them next session.

Will post a picture when the paint is dry.

Howard has been working on the platform surface - sticking down black paper and painting the white line on the bay side. He still has a fair way to go yet but progress is being made.

Best wishes

Rod

Edited by railwayrod

Well I've been and done it!! This afternoon I have given the BG's sides a thin coat of paint following the advice of Father Dougal and others on this thread. I have just been down to the railway room (shed - called Platform 2) and first inspection seems to be favourable. I did not want to handle the sides at this stage so I will have to wait until morning to see if the paint has "blobbed". I did notice that this first coat was rather thin so a second one will be required next time. Perhaps I held the spray can a little too far away but tomorrow should give me the answer.

If all goes well I will add a picture this weekend for you to judge for yourselves.

Thanks for all your good wishes etc.

Rod

Well I've been and done it!! This afternoon I have given the BG's sides a thin coat of paint following the advice of Father Dougal and others on this thread. I have just been down to the railway room (shed - called Platform 2) and first inspection seems to be favourable. I did not want to handle the sides at this stage so I will have to wait until morning to see if the paint has "blobbed". I did notice that this first coat was rather thin so a second one will be required next time. Perhaps I held the spray can a little too far away but tomorrow should give me the answer.

If all goes well I will add a picture this weekend for you to judge for yourselves.

Thanks for all your good wishes etc.

Rod

Well done Rod.

I usually apply 3 or 4 coats with Phoenix rattle cans to achieve a desirable level of colour density. Then I protect the paint with a coat of varnish.

D.

I am slowly making progress with painting the white lines and resurfacing the platform.

post-12623-0-94445100-1434735524_thumb.jpg

Rod gave his coach sides another spray this afternoon and things are looking okay so far!

• Like 3

Thank you Christian for your valued comments.

As Howard indicated yesterday I have now given the BG's sides a second coat of paint and on inspection this morning they appear to be OK. I am adding a photo of them which will say that they do need a third coat which I will attend to next time.

The second photo shows Howard perched on top of the steps painting the white line down the far side of the platform.

Rod

post-13361-0-99058600-1434819455_thumb.jpg

post-13361-0-71946100-1434819486_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Howard and I had a further shortish session this afternoon and he finished painting the white line along the rear platform edge. He also surfaced a bit more of the platform and now only has about 3 feet to go.

I spent the afternoon track cleaning in readiness for my open day this coming Wednesday afternoon. I also had a problem with the electrics in the fiddle yard but after a little work this seems now to be OK. A good clean up is all that is needed in readiness for Wednesday.

Rod

Edited by railwayrod
  • Like 1