THE RAMCHESTER CHRONICLES

HSB

Hello Rod,

just take a short break and surf the link I have posted with the picture. The site  is an image treasure trove and ... should ... translate well with Google Translate :no: . It is about Wuppertal and the railway lines passing through and from there. The image posted is from the ~11km long Samba Line starting from Wuppertal-Elberfeld (today's Wuppertal Central) to Wuppertal-Cronenfeld and was taken before electrification 1965 and the ensuing removal of the old station roofs and their replacement with platform canopies. Read about the Samba Line (linked) and Wuppertal-Elberfeld.

If you just model Wuppertal-Elberfeld's tracks 4 and 5 in an O gauge micro layout you could run almost any era IIIb/c stock with the exception of electrics - Wuppertal was (and is that kind of place). :sungum:

Wuppertal is in Nordrhein-Westfalen and thus was in the British Zone until 1990 - maybe you find some pictures taken by BAOR servicemen in the UK corner of the 'net. :scratchhead:

Now I have to stop before Howard chides me again for distracting you :protest: :beee:

Best Regards,

Christian

(edited for incomplete signature)

Edited by cklammer

This is getting a bit off topic but if the Lenz range had appeared a couple of years earlier in all probability we would have built a German layout instead of Ramchester!

I find those passenger trains with a V36 and an old railbus trailer rather intriguing, especially as Lenz are planning to do a new run of the V36 this year. Unfortunately I don't think anybody produces a suitable coach.

Hello Howard,

o k a y . . . . . . . sorry: it is not a railbus but a VS145 (pre-WWII-DRG vintage): V = Verbrennung S = Steuerwagen. In the image linked from bahnen-wuppertal.de you see a very peculiar combination (from the front):

V36-VS145-VS145-V36 (as one V36 was not enough for the grade on the Samba Line with a V36 having only 360 hp). Regular combination was V36-VS145. These combinations ran on the Samba Line from summer 1950 until 1953 or 1955 in hourly intervals during the day with the longer combination being on the weekends as the Samba Line led to weekend excursion areas.

From the mid-fifties combinations of VT95-VB142-VT95 (Uerdinger Schienenbus/ railbus "mk I" so to say) were used, which been replaced by VT98 (Uerdinger Schienenbus / rail bus "mk II") which in turn were replaced (era IV) by ETA150 (model 515 from era IV on which had by then the less than charming nick name "pot bellied pig" :O). VT/VS/VB98 have regular buffers, VT95/VB142 do not.

Links: db58.de DSO noetzel24.de Cronenberger Strecke (Sambalinie) Wuppertal-Elberfeld (Hbf) Pot Bellied Pig :jester: :butcher:

Look very closely at the track plan for Wuppertal-Elberfeld :angel: :boast:

Best Regards,

Christian

Edited by cklammer

Hi Christian,

Reading the Wikipedia entry on the V36 I got the mistaken impression the coaches were pre-war railbus or railcar trailers (I wasn't sure from the photos if they were 4- or 8-wheel vehicles) but as they are described on your link as control cars am I right in assuming they were originally designed for push-pull trains?

Edited by HSB

Just a quick update on progress today. Howard has been working on station signs which are coming along fine. The ones we had were supposedly to 7mm scale but Ramchester is a small station and the signs looked far too big. Fortunately with Howards skills he has copied them and reduced their size so we think they will be OK.

I have been bashing on with the BG which now has the two periscopes stuck onto the roof. I have also made a start on the guards compartment which is in etched brass and was purchased with the kit. I have made the initial folds and so far so good. The wrong holes in the sides of the BG referred to earlier have been filled and new ones drilled where required. With the chassis, roof,  and the sides almost complete the model is ready for assembly BUT painting rears its ugly head and although most of it will be in black, the sides are to be in maroon and these are the bits that will be most visible so I must do a good job on them if the model is not to be spoilt. The problem is that I hate painting.....

Rod

Hi Christian,

Reading the Wikipedia entry on the V36 I got the mistaken impression the coaches were pre-war railbus or railcar trailers (I wasn't sure from the photos if they were 4- or 8-wheel vehicles) but as they are described on your link as control cars am I right in assuming they were originally designed for push-pull trains?

Good Evening Howard,

Yes, that is correct regarding the push-pull-trains.  So the English expression for "Wendezug" is "push-pull-train" - RMWeb surely broadens me horizons :no:

On the Samba Line the V36/VS145 combinations turned over in Cronenberg in three-and-a-half minutes flat - which enabled the hourly schedule on the line in first place, it is claimed.

Here are some VS 145 drawings. You will need them as there are no O gauge models I am aware of .... :locomotive:

Best Regards,

Christian

Thanks for that, Christian, but I don't think I'll be attempting to scratchbuild one any time soon! I don't think there's even anything vaguely similar that might be adapted - not that I'd want to carve around a £250 model anyway! Perhaps Lenz or MBW might consider doing one one day but I don't suppose there would be enough demand.

Howard and I had a further session on the layout this afternoon. We decided some time ago that the wall supporting the platform surface was too far back from the platform edge. As a result Howard has made a start on making up a new one to bring it out somewhat. Of course this was not a case of just sticking on another layer of card and covering it with embossed plastic sheet. The ballast between the ends of the sleepers and the existing wall had to be removed in order to maintain a decent appearance. Clearly this is not a 5 minute job and will take several sessions before everything is "back to normal". Still Howard has made a very good start.

While he was performing this task I worked on the guards compartment of the BG. This is mostly of etched brass and has been very well etched with all the parts fitting into recessed depressions or slots. I decided to superglue these together and at the end of the afternoon this part is complete. All I have to do now is to paint it. Ugh.

Rod

• Like 1

I have been away for a few days in the ancient city of Bath. Really lovely place with lots to interest everyone with museums, parks and of course the Roman baths. Maggie and I travelled up by train and our hotel was across the road from the station - really convenient. We could have done with a few more days there but at present we could only manage 3 days BUT I am sure we will go back there in the near future.

As a result nothing has been done to Ramchester so there is nothing to report or update you on.

I did purchase a new camera so I intend to take a couple of pictures to try it out on model photography.

More anon.

Rod

When you do, allow yourself time to visit The Titfield Thunderbolt bookshop. It's a brisk 20m walk from the city centre or there are plenty of buses to take you. The bookshop has a super selection of railway titles and the owner is now the publisher of the Wild Swan range.
http://www.titfield.co.uk/index.htm
No connection other than as a very satisfied customer!
Dave

Edited by daifly

Hello Dave.

I had planned to visit The Titfield Thunderbolt book shop but simply ran out of time. It is now on top of the list for my next visit to Bath even if I have to crawl there on my hands and knees lol!!! My collection of railway books numbers some 750 plus, several of which I have purchased from their stand at exhibitions so it is a definite "must do" for next time.

Rod 

Howard and I have been busy this afternoon. He has been working on the station signs and then he pressed on with the platform support wall referred to in an earlier post.

I took the bull by the horns and have begun to paint the "bits and bobs" on the BG's underframe satin black. These will doubtless require a second coat as I am bound to have missed bits. Still its progress I suppose.

Rod

I was quite right when I said that the BG's underframe fittings would need a second coat. I looked today to inspect my work and found that I had missed bits or had not put the paint on evenly. As I mentioned in an earlier post I hate painting. With my eyesight I am unable to see the difference between shiny brass and wet paint - even if it is black! Anyway I have gone over the fittings again and will have a further look tomorrow.

Howards has done a bit more work on the platform support wall and also worked on the signs so some progress has been made.

Rod

We have both been working on the platform support wall this afternoon. I now have a clear idea as to what needs to be done and how we are going to do it. The work involves the removal of the ballast between the sleeper ends and the existing wall (done), removing the paving slabs which currently form the overhang (done), and cutting back the edge of the platform (almost done). We will then cut and fix a new wall in front of the existing one to bring it out to where we want it. This will have an extra layer of bricks at the top to bring the top out a little further and then we will cut and fix new slabs to form the overhang which will be much closer to the support wall than at present. Howard has already started to cut the replacement wall and has made a start on sticking the embossed bricks in place. On this sort of work I am the labourer and HE is the boss!!!

He has also purchased two more wagons for his projected German layout and he will doubtless post a picture of them standing on Ramchester on his own thread.

Rod

And here's the labourer at work this afternoon:-

post-12623-0-72477600-1425667790.jpg

We've been dissatisfied with the front of the platform for some time as the paving slabs looked too thick and there was far too much overhang. Also, the brick paper we used has become rather marked and discoloured and is being replaced with the embossed plastic material we used on the other station structures.

• Like 3

We've had a couple of sessions this week and the new platform front is slowly progressing. The pictures show the ramp end of the platform with the new wall and paving stones laid temporarily in position.

post-12623-0-29621200-1426184376_thumb.jpg

post-12623-0-53105300-1426184448_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Hello Everyone.

As promised in Post 684 here are a some pictures taken with my new camera.

The first shot is of the Black5 about to enter the tunnel. The crew of the loco must be sweating that they will reach their destination as the tender is very, very low on coal!!

The next picture shows the Black 5 resting in the fiddle yard.

The third shot is of the two lines of mineral wagons in the coal yard. When I have mastered the camera and getting a photo from dropbox to the image editor on this website I will try to sharpen it a little and increase the depth of field.

In the meantime I hope you enjoy these.

Rod

post-13361-0-11968700-1426282214_thumb.jpg

post-13361-0-13959900-1426282376_thumb.jpg

post-13361-0-22451800-1426283735_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

I made a little more progress on the first section of the platform front today. I will paint it before fixing it in position.

Rod has started work on a BR fitted van kit.

post-12623-0-78785600-1426529581.jpg

Edited by HSB
  • Like 5

As Howard posted yesterday work on the platform wall is continuing and progress is being made - I am glad to say. This will be a longer job than we thought but nevertheless it has to be done. The new platform face will look considerably better than the old one. However this is a job which visually is beyond me so it is down to Howard.

I have put off working on the BG for a bit as I have to pluck up courage to paint the sides in BR maroon. I have a can of Precision Paints but as I have never sprayed from a can before I am a bit scared to move on for the moment. If anyone has any tips on spraying from a can please do get in touch so that I can get on with this task. Any help in this direction will be appreciated.

In the meantime I have started on my next wagon kit - a Slater's BR 12t box van and I will post progress on this thread.

Rod

Hi Rod,

I'm not particularly fond of the Phoenix Precision rattle cans. I much prefer the closest match from the Halfords range.

The best tips I have for the PP cans to to shake then up really, really well. The paint in them does settle if they are stored for a long time.

Spraying is simply a matter of giving the sides a nice even spray. Starting and stopping spraying off of the sides. Many light coats always give a better finish. I find spraying on a warm sunny day is preferable, but not always available. I have sprayed outside on a particularly mild Boxing Day in the past though!

Then once you've finished spraying turn the can upside down and spray until the nozzle is clear. This usually, but not always, helps prevent the nozzle from clogging. Which is a problem I've had in the past. A blocked nozzle is easily fixed by forcing a pin into the hole (after removing the nozzle from the can), but it's still a nuisance.

Hope this helps. 

I tend to use Precision paint aerosols all the time for my kit builds. No real issues as such. I always shake the can for a minute or two then test spray a piece of card. once I am happy the paint flows freely, I just build up the layers.

Just give each coat time to dry. if applied too thickly the paint runs.

Oh, and spray in a well ventilated space. The paint really stinks!

D.

Thank you Kev and Father D for your advice. I think that I will try the suggestion of test spraying onto a piece of card first to see how it goes but I feel a little more confident after hearing from you both. I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks again.

Rod

It was Howards birthday earlier this week so for a present my wife and I took him to the local "Princess Theatre" to see the show "Oh What A Lovely War", which is currently on tour. We all enjoyed it even though it did show up how incompetent British Senior Officers were in the Great War. Millions of men Killed and even more millions of men injured - what a mess. Still it was a hundred years ago so it is best to consign it to history and hope that we can learn from it. Gone but not forgotten.

Haven't done any modelling for a couple of days but I have purchased a further three Lenz DB wagons so my German goods train is slowly getting longer - 7 wagons so far.

Here are a few pictures of my new purchases;

Picture 1 shows a DB tank in Aral livery.

Picture 2 shows a DB steel open wagon.

Picture 3 shows a van in Konigsbucher livery.

Picture 4 shows the three new wagons together at Ramchester station.

I am slowly building up my nerve to start painting the BG's sides which I must het around to in the very near future.

Rod

post-13361-0-49273200-1426793737_thumb.jpg

post-13361-0-13866200-1426793858_thumb.jpg

post-13361-0-15573000-1426793996_thumb.jpg

post-13361-0-10565100-1426794348_thumb.jpg

Edited by railwayrod
  • Like 7

Back on topic, I painted the first section of platform wall today but not to my complete satisfaction so will touch it up a bit next session before I install it. Rod has done a bit more work on his 'vanfit'.

• Like 1