THE RAMCHESTER CHRONICLES

HSB

Hi CME.

Yes these W irons are the sprung versions as I prefer to have all 4 wheels firmly on the track where possible. They are a bit fiddly (for me) to assemble but I managed to complete the task and only lost one of the tiny springs! The springing does give a much smoother ride and the effort of assembling these is well worthwhile.

On the next session I have in "Platform 2" I will probably fit them to the chassis in readiness for the wheels. Watch this space.

Rod

Howard came round this afternoon and we did a little bit more work on the layout. He has produced a few more paving slabs for the platform edge and the photo shows him busy sticking them in place.

I have been making progress on the Vanfit and now have some of the chassis details in place together with two of the sprung axle boxes.

Rod

post-13361-0-96518900-1429306296_thumb.jpg

post-13361-0-95892500-1429306445_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hi CME.

Yes these W irons are the sprung versions as I prefer to have all 4 wheels firmly on the track where possible. They are a bit fiddly (for me) to assemble but I managed to complete the task and only lost one of the tiny springs! The springing does give a much smoother ride and the effort of assembling these is well worthwhile.

On the next session I have in "Platform 2" I will probably fit them to the chassis in readiness for the wheels. Watch this space.

Rod

Hi Rod,

Many thanks for the tip off - I may try those next time then, I have the feeling that they would have been very awkward to fit to my Slaters Shoc Van though as the chassis is so delicate (more air than plastic :mosking: )

Howard came round this afternoon and we did a little bit more work on the layout. He has produced a few more paving slabs for the platform edge and the photo shows him busy sticking them in place.

I have been making progress on the Vanfit and now have some of the chassis details in place together with two of the sprung axle boxes.

Rod

Nice work chaps, very nice indeed!

Kindest,

CME :)

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Just a short report on today's activities. Howard has been making some more slabs for the platform edging and has completed about 30 inches out of 15 feet. Still progress is being made every time we meet.

I continued with the Vanfit although I did not get very far as it appears that one of the brass castings has been lost. Still tomorrow a call to Salter's should overcome this. I still have not plucked up the courage to paint the sides of the BG but I will have to do this one day as I want it to be finished in the near future.

More anon.

Rod

We had another session on Wednesday plus a short one this afternoon and I now have nearly a third of the platform edge paving slabs in place. I am also currently working on a 'Ladies Room' sign for the station building.

Rod has been working on the W irons and sprung axle boxes on his 'vanfit'.

• Like 2

As Howard said above I have been working on the vanfit this afternoon. Unfortunately I managed to gum up one of the axle boxes whilst opening out the holes for the bearing cups. This required disassembly on the whole W iron and then giving it a good clean up to remove the superglue. In the process I managed to break off the guard rail at the bottom of the W iron so this will have to be carefully  - nay very carefully - glued back. Otherwise the W iron and its spring etc has been successfully put back together. I have also fitted one pair of wheel so now have "two wheels on my wagon" Next time the second pair of wheels will be fitted (I hope) and the vehicle will begin to look like a railway wagon!

Rod

Another session this afternoon and I now have nearly five and a half feet of paving slabs in place with some more under construction. Unfortunately, we have now run out of the plastic strip I am sticking under the front edge so a trip to a local model shop is now called for!

• Like 1

The station master now has a sign on his door:-

post-12623-0-46182000-1430412643.jpg

I have painted a few more paving slabs ready to be laid next time and I am also working on some poster boards to go on the station building walls.

• Like 5

We had a short session this afternoon to move Ramchester onward.

Howard has fitted a few more paving slabs along the platform edge and has now reached about the half way point of this task.

I have been busy with the Vanfit which now has all 4 wheels fitted as well as some of the detail castings for door stops vac pipes etc (still haven't got around to phoning Slater's regarding the missing casting yet, but will do next week all being well). The dummy springs are also in place so my next job is to fit the axle boxes to the sprung W irons and fit the break gear. I will post a picture next time I promise!

Rod

• Like 2

I have now put a few posters on the station building which I think helps to bring it to life. I have also put a couple of old enamel signs on the wall at the end of the bay.

post-12623-0-99050900-1430763204.jpg

post-12623-0-82001200-1430763217.jpg

• Like 5

Whilst Howard was working on the station building I continued work on the Vanfit. The wagon now has axle boxes fitted and I have also added a few more brass castings for the body supports. I still have a few more to add before I move on to fitting the brake gear and its supporting bits and pieces. Hopefully this will be undertaken next session.

Rod

• Like 2

Another session this afternoon. I managed to fit the remaining body support castings to the Vanfit but did not have time to tackle the breakgear. This will have to wait until next time.

Howard worked on another poster board for the station building and managed to produce and paint some more paving slabs for the station platform edge. He also brought round his latest two German wagons so have attached a picture to this post.

The white refrigerated van is by Lenz and the container wagon is by Brawa. This latter is a work of art as when the containers are removed the chassis is a beautiful open moulding/casting. The two wagons are pictured at Ramchester.

Rod

post-13361-0-84947500-1430936945_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

As Howard indicated in an earlier post I have purchased 3 more DB wagons bringing my total up to 10 - a nice train length! Here are a few pictures of the latest additions to my collection.

Picture 1 shows a DB van with a very long wheelbase..

Picture 2 shows the DB Silo wagon..

Picture 3 shows DB steel open wagon..

Picture 4 shows all 3 new wagons standing at Ramchester.

All of these are by Brawa.

Hope you enjoy them.

Rod

post-13361-0-61458300-1431064849_thumb.jpg

post-13361-0-94565700-1431064890_thumb.jpg

post-13361-0-81488400-1431064923_thumb.jpg

post-13361-0-36730600-1431064953_thumb.jpg

Edited by railwayrod
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone.

Just got back from a fab week in the Isles of Scilly. This is about the 25th+ time we have been and we love it. Things are so laid back over there but everything works according to plan. On one occasion we entered a lady's house twice and never set eyes on her! I will add that we were instructed to do so by her neighbour as we wanted to buy some clotted cream to take back with us - it restores your faith in human nature.

Looking forward to getting back to some modelling this week now that I have returned to reality. More anon.

Rod

• Like 1

We had a session on the layout this afternoon after a break while Rod was on his hols and I have stuck a few more paving slabs down before starting work on some more. I have also put another poster board on the station building and planted a few weeds on the embankment. Rod is still working on his vanfit.

• Like 1

Did a little more work on the Vanfit this afternoon. Yesterday I made up 4 guard irons? as I felt the Slater's plastic ones were far too fragile. These were made up from a strip of nickel silver and superglued in place. Today I have fitted the rest of the brake gear so the van is getting nearer completion (until Howard says that I have not fitted so and so). Picture next time of work to date.

Rod

Did a little more work on the Vanfit this afternoon. Yesterday I made up 4 guard irons? as I felt the Slater's plastic ones were far too fragile. These were made up from a strip of nickel silver and superglued in place. Today I have fitted the rest of the brake gear so the van is getting nearer completion (until Howard says that I have not fitted so and so). Picture next time of work to date.

Rod

Hi Rod,

Did you mean guard irons? Or the brake-gear safety/check loops (Im not sure if I am using the correct terminology?)

I found the latter very fragile on my Slaters Shoc Van - as I was on holiday when building the under-frame/chassis I improvised and filed down/shaped some paper-clips.

ATVB

CME.

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Probably a part which would be better etched!

I couldn't go round to Rod's this afternoon as I was waiting for somebody from bl**dy British Gas to come and fit a smart meter and they never came! Argh!!! Good news is they are going to knock £22 off my next bill in compensation and the engineer involved is going to get a rap on the knuckles for not following correct procedure.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Rod

Will it be in the Club Competition tomorrow Rod?

Cheers, Dave.

Hi Dave and CME.

I think I meant safety loops but like you I was not sure of the correct terminology. Anyway they are the bits which hang down from the chassis around the brake levers to keep the shoes in line with the wheels. Hope this is clear.

No David the van will not be in the competition tomorrow as it is still not finished. A few more bits need to be added and of course a complete paint job is needed. I will perhaps enter it in next years competition.

I will post a picture later on this evening.

Rod

As promised in my last post earlier this evening here are a few pictures of progress to the Vanfit and the Goods Yard Models lorry.

This afternoon I finished the brake gear and inserted two strengthening "bulkheads" inside the van. I also fitted the rain strips to the roof. Meanwhile Howard was making and painting some more paving slabs for the platform edge and when he got fed up with this task he fitted the wing mirrors to the GYM Flatbed (see photos).

There are two photos of the Flatbed from the side and from the front. This is a lovely model but I do not know if Goods Yard Models are still in business but it is a pity if they are not as I would probably buy another one.

The other two photos show each side of the Vanfit. Please note that the roof of the van is only laid on top pending painting.

Rod

post-13361-0-60076600-1432147425_thumb.jpg

post-13361-0-87537500-1432147450_thumb.jpg

post-13361-0-35036500-1432147471_thumb.jpg

post-13361-0-47927500-1432147500_thumb.jpg

• Like 3