THE RAMCHESTER CHRONICLES

HSB

Hello Chaz.

Many thanks for your useful and helpful comments on signalling. Unfortunately I do not have the book you mention but now that I know it exists I will try to find a copy.

It is intended that passenger trains will be departing from both the bay platform and the main platform whilst goods trains will depart from the non platform part of the loop. I had kind of worked out that I would need several ground signals and have purchased a kit for these. However what I do not know is;

1. Both the bay and the main platform need starter signals (probably in the form of a bracket signal) but should these be with a distance signal attached to the post?

2. On the approach to the station should there be some sort of bracket signal indicating which line is going to be taken, i.e. bay, main platform face or loop?

3. Between the tunnel and the signal box can I get away with no signals at all?

Any help that you or anyone else reading this thread can give me would be very much appreciated.

Thank you  in advance.

Rod

To answer your points as best as I can (incidentally it makes it easier to discuss signalling if you can state which direction is up and which is down - I'm going to assume that up is from Ramchester back to the junction)

1   There would only be a distant signal on the up starters if the section ahead is so short that the home protecting the station in advance is very close. It would be unusual.

2   Yes, a splitting bracket would be correct for down traffic  - this is the home signal. (This was the arrangement at St Albans.) This signal will be sited somewhere between the tunnel and the signal cabin - probably closer to the latter. You can assume that the down distant signals for this home would be on the other side of the tunnel.

3    There might well be another up signal - termed an advanced starter. It extends the station limits and protects the section ahead when stock is being shunted - for example out of the siding that you have behind the bay road. However this is not essential as a procedure called blocking back can be used if there is no advanced starter. The choice depended (I think) on traffic density.

A couple of other points

An up goods (departing from the loop) can be signalled away with a ground disc. A starter would be wrong for the loop.

A down goods would be probably brought to a stand before being signalled into the station. The signalman would certainly reassure himself that the train was under control and running slowly before pulling off either a home or ground signal. Not sure about LMS practice here but on the LNER an arriving goods might well be signalled in with a miniature shunt arm rather than a ground disc.

I do hope I've got all that right, but no doubt if there are any clangers someone who knows better will help us out!

Chaz

Edited by chaz

can I get away with no signals at all?    Wrong attitude!  :declare:   When I was building Dock Green at some point I said to myself "oh no, I can have only one signal (and even that is debateable)". Signals make such a big difference to a model railway, especially if they are correctly sited and operated.

Looking again at your track plan I think that provided all the siding points connected to the loop are hand thrown with trackside levers (and that should not include the two crossovers) the ground signals will not be too numerous.

one to protect the exit from the siding behind the bay

one to signal a loco over the release crossover

one to allow a movement from the loop to the main - make this a yellow one and you can pass it at danger to move on to the headshunt

an advanced starter would make sense - it would allow you to use the platform starters to signal shunt moves - I would put it just in front of the tunnel mouth.

The above are all up signals, you will also need some down signals. To sort out these I suggest you study some signal diagrams for similar stations to Ramchester.

Of course Rule One applies to all of this...

Chaz

Edited by chaz

Thanks for that Howard, is each square representing 1' ?

Best regards

Craig.

They are 150mm squares. It was drawn on Templot  so it doesn't quite match the PECO (and one Marcway 3-way) points we used. The total length of the fiddle yard is around 14'.

Edited by HSB

Hi All,

I can, I think, get away with one starter signal - as the rest would, in effect, be in the garden (that isnt worth the hassle).

Ground signals will be needed though - the Q is though working or non working!?

I have a mate who is a signaller so I am sure, along with a few reference sources I have, it should help.

As with track and coaches, I love looking at signals, yet the thought of making them doesnt inspire me.

ATVB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Hi All,

I can, I think, get away with one starter signal - as the rest would, in effect, be in the garden (that isnt worth the hassle).

Ground signals will be needed though - the Q is though working or non working!?

I have a mate who is a signaller so I am sure, along with a few reference sources I have, it should help.

As with track and coaches, I love looking at signals, yet the thought of making them doesnt inspire me.

ATVB

CME

Ground signals.... working or non working!?   It is, of course, up to you but IMHO working signals are worth the effort. They will allow you to work your station much more realistically - you can even do what I did with my (now dismantled) home layout - when you have two operators one is the signalman and the other is the driver. (A third operator can be the porter and make the tea).

• Like 1

Hi Chaz,

Thanks - I am inclined to agree, working is best if achievable.

Hopefully the layout can be operated by a single operator, or with drivers, signallers and fiddle-yard operator.

Two of the boxes should be able to be operated by the fiddle-yard operator, because, in effect, both of the outdoor boxes - whilst they will be modelled-are fictitious (arnt they all?), yet in reality the Fiddle-yard will hand over to the Scenic Section operator. The layout will be divided into three block sections, Fiddle-Yard, Garden (link) and Scenic Section, I hope to also operate a basic token system, so as to avoid more than one train on the outdoor single track block-section.

Sorry for the hijack Rod and Howard.

Kindest,

CME

Thanks Chaz for your info re signals which I am sure will be most useful when I get my head around the problem.

Craig I will post a picture of the fiddle yard next time - hope this is OK.

CME No problem with the hijack!!

Rod

Sorry Gents I didn't want to be a bore going on about the fiddle yard, especially with a great scenic section you guys have, but in a way behind the scenes is as important to make "front of house" modelling look and run great.

Thanks

Craig.

Sorry for the late input into the signalling debate but for prototype info the Signal box website by John Hinson is a mine of information and includes many prototype signalling diagrams for reference.

http://www.signalbox.org/

Despite my interest in signalling though, I chose to model a prototype location that didn't have any, at least not after 1887. That's chicken for you.

Rob

Howard or Rod can I be cheeky here and for a picture of the fiddle yard set up please ? I am just interested what arrangement and dimensions you have.

Best regards

Craig.

Craig, further to my earlier reply we actually revised the plan on page 12 after some problems with derailments and the current plan is in post #320 on page 13 with a picture in post #359 on page 15.

This afternoon Howard and I did a little more work on the layout. He is concentrating on the platform and was busy filling in the gaps between the black paper sheets which form the surface and rubbing down to make the gaps almost invisible. A long job but worth all the effort.

I Hate painting BUT it has to be done so I made a start on painting the bodies of my Van fit and open wagon. I used Precision Bauxite thinned down and applied it by brush. Unfortunately I thinned it too much so I will have to give it at one more coat if not two. I will have an inspection tomorrow to see if I have made a mess of it. Time will tell.

Rod

Just a short session this afternoon. Howard has been cutting out and fitting the glazing on my mechanical hourse and trailer but still has the windscreen to do. So a little more progress on that project.

I have given the Vanfit and the open wagon a second coat of Bauxite and will inspect it later to see how it looks.

More anon.

Rod

Just a quick update. Howard has now managed to fit half of the wind screen in my mechanical horse. I gave my two wagons another coat of paint and upon inspection tonight they now appear to be nearly OK. Here are a couple of pictures of the pair standing at Ramchester station. The next job is to carefully touch up the paint work in one or two places then fix transfers etc. The roof of the van is still to be fastened on as it is just lying on top of the vehicle at picture time.

rod

post-13361-0-66352100-1437591415_thumb.jpg

post-13361-0-87635800-1437591497_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Ramchester or should I say Ramsburg has just taken delivery of two more DB wagonsThese are from Lenz and Brawa and below are some pictures of these standing on Ramchester, mainly because Ramsburg has not been started as yet but one day.....

Rod

post-13361-0-41035600-1437746003_thumb.jpg

post-13361-0-54871200-1437746129_thumb.jpg

post-13361-0-71337100-1437746424_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Hello guys,

Ramchester is so very obviously an English location ... Ramsburg just does not fit :no: :nono: :scratchhead:... and Hamburg it is most certainly not  :O 

There is a "Rendsburg" in Schleswig-Holstein ... but we have tons of "-burgs". "Limburg" known for it's cheese ... as I said, just lots and lots.

"Rodsburg" and "Howardsburg" we lack, though  :angel: ... so here is your chance to leave your on German geography  :declare: 

Best Regards,

Christian

Thanks Simond for your nice comments on the track. We have worked very hard to make the whole layout look as realistic as possible and the trackwork was no exception. We still need to give it a bit more weathering especially in the station area where locos might  stand and drop oil etc but we are slowly getting there.

Hello Christian. It is not my intention to convert Ramchester into a DB layout and I simply use it as a backdrop to photograph my new DB models. Ramsburg/Ramsdorf/Ramsfeld etc are possible names for my next layout which will be based on the DB system possibly somewhere near the German/Swiss border but nothing has been decided yet. At present I am just collecting stock for this future project which will not start until next year.

In the meantime Ramchester rules the roost until it is "finished" at which point its future will be decided but not before.

Rod

Have been busy this afternoon building a new bird table as our current one is too big and only attracts pigeons and crows. So a smaller one is on the work bench in the garage. At the same time I have been cutting out pieces for a programming track for my DB locos and these are about ready to be assembled. As I did not have a spare yard of Peco track I made one up using spare sleepers and two lengths of Peco rail. I will post a photo of this next time.

In the meantime here are a couple of pictures of Ramchester and its fiddle yard full of lovely stock!

Rod  

post-13361-0-38247400-1438020481_thumb.jpg

post-13361-0-09651200-1438020517_thumb.jpg

post-13361-0-06672100-1438020547.jpg

• Like 5

Rod

Just a quick question re your German wagons. I'm looking to buy one for a friend who's helped me out a lot but I'm struggling to find a UK dealer. Would you be so kind as to tell me who supplied yours?

Steve