THE RAMCHESTER CHRONICLES

HSB

Visitors to Ramchester Part 1.

As promised in my last post here are a few pictures of visiting locos and trains to Ramchester at my recent open day. Before I start I must apologise for the delay in getting these posted but things have conspired against me in getting down to edit the pictures. Firstly Maggie and I had to attend a funeral in Somerset of an old family friend who died recently and the following day Howard and I attended the Wells show (Sunday). Then on Monday Maggie and I attended yet another funeral of one of our walking group who died of cancer. Then on Tuesday I had a day sailing along the South Devon coast as far as Dartmouth and back - a great day out! Today - well here we are!

I have decided to break this post up into parts as there are too many photographs for one post so I hope you will understand and bear with me.

The first photos show Andrew's King class loco at Ramchester with his train of Collett coaches. This is a Tower Molels loco as are the coaches. Next it is seen departing the station and then at speed round the curve near the entrance to the tunnel. This looked very impressive but unfortunately as it got to the tunnel it stalled and jammed up so it will have to be returned to Tower.

post-13361-0-23947400-1502915020_thumb.jpg

post-13361-0-96628200-1502914950_thumb.jpg

post-13361-0-58776100-1502915098_thumb.jpg

post-13361-0-16576300-1502915163_thumb.jpg

The next photos show a glimpse of the next visitor which is Kevin's Prairie.

post-13361-0-58485400-1502915314_thumb.jpg

post-13361-0-32365000-1502915372_thumb.jpg

That is all I have time for at present as I need to get the rest of the photos sorted out which I will do tomorrow and post asap. 

Rod

• Like 10

Visitors to Ramchester Part 2.

It seemed to me that a cataclysmic event occurred last week as the locos depicted on Ramchester were most definitely Great Western. Not only that but they were in Great Western livery so clearly a time change had also occurred as well as a shift in location! Who said that Dr Who was dead!

The pictures this time depict Kevin's Prairie and his milk train but in my next post I will show some more locos from elsewhere so please bear with me. The first phots shows Kevin's Prairie in close up standing in the platform at Ramchester.

post-13361-0-44189500-1503082616_thumb.jpg

Next the milk train arrives at  Ramchester.

post-13361-0-32088400-1503082785_thumb.jpg

Finally the milk train departs.

post-13361-0-24089600-1503082922_thumb.jpg

That's as far as I have got at the moment but next post will contain a Southern loco and a .....

Rod

• Like 9

Visitors to Ramchester Part 3.

This is the final part of the recent visit of members of EXG0G last week.

Two more locos arrived, the first of which was in BR livery so no time warp this time. It was a Dapol Terrier which belonged to Barrie who had converted it to battery power. He had fitted a switch into the circuitry so that it would run on 12v DC or via radio control on the battery.I remember running this loco at the recent Exeter MRC's annual exhibition on a table with no track! People asked if we had a magnet under the table to move it along. Barrie just smiled and then told folks the truth that it was operated by radio control.

post-13361-0-70483400-1503235628_thumb.jpg

post-13361-0-32696400-1503235679_thumb.jpg

The final loco for that day wsa the arrival of a Minerva "Victory" in black livery which was later spotted departing with a B set.

post-13361-0-76594300-1503235877_thumb.jpg

post-13361-0-79084100-1503235934_thumb.jpg

It was a really good day and from my point of view it was nice to see the layout operating while others had fun. I just made tea and helped everyone to consume Maggie's goodies.

Rod

Edited by railwayrod
  • Like 7

Visitors to Ramheer Part 3.

This is the final part of the recent visit of members of EXG0G last week.

Two more locos arrived, the first of which was in BR livery so no time warp this time. It was a Dapol Terrier which belonged to Barrie who had converted it to battery power. He had fitted a switch into the circuitry so that it would run on 12v DC or via radio control on the battery.I remember running this loco at the recent Exeter MRC's annual exhibition on a table with no track! People asked if we had a magnet under the table to move it along. Barrie just smiled and then told folks the truth that it was operated by radio control.

attachicon.gifTerrier at Ramchester.jpg

attachicon.gifTerriier at Ramchester.jpg

The final loco for that day wsa the arrival of a Minerva "Victory" in black livery which was later spotted departing with a B set.

attachicon.gifBlack Victory.jpg

attachicon.gifVictory departing.jpg

It was a really good day and from my point of view it was nice to see the layout operating while others had fun. I just made tea and helped everyone to consume Maggie's goodies.

Rod

Bless you Rod, its great to see a layout shared and utilised!

I had to do a double take as I thought someone had taken my Terrier for a spin!

Any chance of your buddy setting up a Thread on how he managed to fit RC into a terrier and can run it RC or DC please??

Kindest,

CME

As requested by CME and others here are pictures of my main line coaching stock.

post-13361-0-41656400-1503689731_thumb.jpg

The first one is D1910 corridor brake 1st

post-13361-0-54171700-1503689837_thumb.jpg

Next we have a D2159 corridor composite with porthole windows.

post-13361-0-92750200-1503689975_thumb.jpg

The third one is D1899 corridor 3rd.

post-13361-0-36404400-1503690051_thumb.jpg

The fourth coach is D2170 porthole corridor 3rd.

post-13361-0-80938500-1503690106_thumb.jpg

And finally D2161 porthole corridor brake 3rd.

All are brass kits by Sidelines and put together for me by the firms owner Malcolm Binns.These were purchased over successive years from Telford to spread the cost.

I carried out a slight modification to the bogie pivots as my curve at the end of the room is super elevated which caused the coaches to derail on occasions. This was a simple task - well it had to be for me to do it - which took only a few minutes per bogie. I have used the original screw couplings on the rake but have fitted tension lock ones on the outer ends of the brake ends, thus making coupling very easy as I do not intend to separate them. They are all period 3 vehicles which fit my time span perfectly.

All for now

Rod

• Like 10

I am sure you will CME, Your modelling is very good and from what I see on your posts the kits should not present you with major problems.

See you at Telford?

Rod

Hi Rod,

Thanks, thats jolly kind of you.

Sidelines kits are very comprehensive and build into cracking models with care. The Stanier All Steel, Period III coaching stock was very sleek and smart and at 57' is ideal for smaller layouts too.

Kindest regards,

M.

What a superb weekend! Warm, sunny and just right for sitting on my decking in the garden with a cold beer! Maggie and I did a couple of walks which were also very pleasant and enjoyable. All this means that work on Ramchester has been at a stand still for a few days and with Telford looming not much will be done this week as I need to put my list together of the bits and pieces that I want to pick up at the show. Howard and I are going up on Friday and will probably call at the Gloucester and Warwick Railway en route before completing our journey to Telford where we have booked accommodation for two nights. This will give us plenty of time to see the show on Saturday and Sunday before we set off back to sunny Devon.

I hope to see some of you there so give me a tap on the shoulder if you see me please as with my eyesight I probably will not recognize you.

Rod

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well Telford has come and gone for another year and what a good show it was. One thing that surprised me was that attendance particularly on the Saturday seemed to be a great deal less than usual as was the Sunday attendance. However the good side from the punters point of view was that it made access to the layouts and the trade stands relatively easy. While this was good for us visitors I suspect that some of the traders were not so happy.

It was nice to see one or two new traders at the show and I hope they will not be put off by the low attendance and feel that it is not worth their while in coming to future events. However it was nice to see that Hattons were there with samples of their forthcoming A3 locomotive, their war well wagon and a test shot of their Gresley coaches (albeit in unpainted form and in two halves). I gather that this only arrived the night before the show.

I made a few purchases of which more in my next post but suffice to say that Ramchester WILL become DCC controlled in the very near future.

Rod

Hi CME.

I am afraid the garden railway is still at a stand still and may never get any further. I would like to build a portable German layout and I do not have time to do this and develop the garden line. At present it looks as though the garden line will be abandoned and the stock sold off to finance the German layout but I have not made the final decision yet.

Anyone interested in LGB stock?

Rod

Hi CME.

I am afraid the garden railway is still at a stand still and may never get any further. I would like to build a portable German layout and I do not have time to do this and develop the garden line. At present it looks as though the garden line will be abandoned and the stock sold off to finance the German layout but I have not made the final decision yet.

Anyone interested in LGB stock?

Rod

Hi Rod,

Its a hobby so you have to follow your heart, and time etc are finite resources. Im sure that youll have no problems selling the LGB stock, garden rlys are quite a challenge to get going and to maintain, having your indoor layout is ideal, superb in fact-good luck with the German layout.

Kindest regards,

CME

I have just begun to sort out some of my recent pictures of Ramchester.

Here is a picture of Bert the coal office attendant who is a Detailed Miniatures model and I think looks superb. He is one of my purchases from Telford last week.

post-13361-0-27292100-1504895940_thumb.jpg

And another view.

post-13361-0-33945200-1504896016_thumb.jpg

Rod

• Like 10

Just a quick post to highlight another couple of my purchases from Telford last weekend. For some time now I have been disappointed with my Skytrex meat van and when Dapol's version came out I decided to replace it with the Dapol version.

Here are a couple of pictures of said van.

post-13361-0-58155500-1505082831_thumb.jpg

post-13361-0-87609700-1505083244_thumb.jpg

I also purchased the Dapol open wagon with tarpaulin bar as below.

post-13361-0-34324300-1505082891_thumb.jpg

post-13361-0-78016300-1505082983_thumb.jpg

And here are the two together in Ramchester's goods yard.

post-13361-0-79632700-1505083109_thumb.jpg

More soon.

Rod

• Like 6

Just a quick post to highlight another couple of my purchases from Telford last weekend. For some time now I have been disappointed with my Skytrex meat van and when Dapol's version came out I decided to replace it with the Dapol version.

attachicon.gifDSC01805 (2).JPG

attachicon.gifDSC01804 (2).JPG

attachicon.gifDSC01806 (2).JPG

attachicon.gifDSC01807 (2).JPG

attachicon.gifDSC01813 (2).JPG

More soon.

Rod

Very nice Rod, but IMHO you do need to do something about the colour of that meat van....

post-9071-0-27311900-1505117908.jpg

Chaz

• Like 1

I have just begun to sort out some of my recent pictures of Ramchester.

Here is a picture of Bert the coal office attendant who is a Detailed Miniatures model and I think looks superb. He is one of my purchases from Telford last week.

attachicon.gifDSC01809 (2).JPG

And another view.

attachicon.gifDSC01811 (2).JPG

Rod

Hi Rod,

I believe that figures can make or break a good model, as the human eye is drawn to specific colours AND the human, form, even in miniature. I used to paint military figures, yet these days, I find myself outsourcing the painting of figures more and more as it really is an art form in 7mm....

attachicon.gifDSC01805 (2).JPG

attachicon.gifDSC01804 (2).JPG

attachicon.gifDSC01806 (2).JPG

attachicon.gifDSC01807 (2).JPG

attachicon.gifDSC01813 (2).JPG

More soon.

Rod

......Very Nice!

Dapol have started to add Instanters - where appropriate - now too

Very nice Rod, but IMHO you do need to do something about the colour of that meat van....

attachicon.gifDSC_0992-1.jpg

Chaz

Nice work!

Airbrushed or by brush?

I realised the other day that I had about a dozen various RTR vehicles that needed fettling and weathering, which means that with kit builds my fleet is almost complete...I say almost LOL! Didnt realise I had, for birthdays and Christmas, as well as my own purchases had so many to weather! I love building kits, but RTR is a real help.

The very best to all,

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Like 1

When I purchased the van and looked at it at home I too thought that the colour needed some attention. I do not want to repaint it as this will mean that I will lose the lettering etc. Howard and I had a short discussion this afternoon but did not reach a firm conclusion. We will have to wait and see.

Rod

When I purchased the van and looked at it at home I too thought that the colour needed some attention. I do not want to repaint it as this will mean that I will lose the lettering etc. Howard and I had a short discussion this afternoon but did not reach a firm conclusion. We will have to wait and see.

Rod

All is not lost, Fox do a set of transfers for the crimson meat van. My meat van (posted above) is a Slater's kit built some time ago. I believe all the paint was put on with an airbrush, although nowadays I only use an airbrush for a final toning down mist coat.

If you do decide to repaint be careful - it matters very much what colour you put any sort of crimson over. Crimson paint is transparent so the final colour is very influenced by the undercoat - put it directly over that bright red and it is likely to look too bright in its turn. I found a grey or brown undercoat suits best.

If you are really set on not repainting you could go for a weathering treatment to tame the bright red.

post-9071-0-81155500-1505160606.jpg

Above, a bauxite coloured van is painted with a layer of "dirt-mix" enamel - matte black and leather give a good dirt colour. Start at one corner sploshing it on, work all the way round and when you get back to the start....

post-9071-0-33575000-1505160710.jpg

...start removing the paint with cotton buds wetted or dampened with white spirit. You can control how dirty the result looks by varying the amount of white spirit.

post-9071-0-50775800-1505160950.jpg

Finished result, with the lettering still visible.

HTH

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 3