RMweb

Banbury in N scale - A great time at the Abingdon in March 2024

roundhouse

That's a great layout you have there lots of detail / realism. I might of missed it as I was looking through but could you let us know how big the layout is and a track plan?

cheers

Alan

• RMweb Gold

Alan

Thanks

It's 16 feet by 3 feet and including the fiddleyard.

The scenic section is about 12 feet by 2 feet.

I have yet to draw up a decent track of plan as still getting to grips with Xtrkcad. I However the layout will be in Rail Express in time for DEMU Showcase where I am pretty sure there will be a good track plan.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

This morning I replaced a sticking SEEP solenoid in the fiddleyard that doesnt get used on Santa Barbara (so was not a problem at Derby show) but is the North end turnout to platform 1 on Banbury.

On inpsecting the removed solenoid I found out that this particular batch, the washer for the switdh gets stuck under the solenoid plastic moulding. S0 a soldering iron poked itot that gap has resolved the issue and this will now become the spare. This one was only one of two obtained and fitted prrior to building Banbury when modifying the fiddleyard. (The rest on the Banbury boards are Peco solenoids under the turnouts). I have noticed over the years that the SEEP ones can be variable with different issues depending on the batch that they come from.

I had another look at the gass bottle cage I started last night and think its a bit too large, so will have to check the fit on the cattle dock when I get chance to unbox the boards, hopefully tonight, otherwise it may have to wait to be worked on further till after this weekends show..

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Last night I finally finished adding all the turnouts into the JMRI software, tweeked the track plan a bit more and replaced a microswitch for the feedback in the fiddleyard that didnt work, so it was back to working on the scenery.

The gas bottle cage I had started was way too big when I put it on the cattle dock so this is now taken apart and being rebuilt smaller. Some gas bottles are under construction but one decided to go flying in the conservatory this morning when I cut it off the styrene rod. Must have a search for it tonight.

Still plenty that I want to do to get the layout ready for RAILEX.

Ian

Ian,

Bad news on the roof lights to the island platform there are two per bay so the number is double.

Will be back at the station later so will get photos.

Was thinking do you want me to send you info on the ICC car park as of 2011

It don't think it was used as an overflow car park at that date, will check.

Gary

• RMweb Gold

Gary

Yes I hence why theres about , 7 large ones and 2 smaller ones. One bay just has one in it.

This photo shows some of them.

post-1557-0-55413200-1369318772_thumb.jpg

I think the overflow car park came into use at some point during 2011 (I have one photo that looks like the signage was there in 2011). I have a few shots taken early in 2012 of the car park signage and took quite a few at Easter time.

Lunchtime I scaled these signs down to N scale and hope to print them at home tonight ready for fixing.

Will be a useful check against your records though.

Regards

Ian

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Gary

Thanks for those. When I get chance I will have to check the accuracy of my buildings against them.

Interesting to note that when built the roof lights where pitched rather than the domes. Also there were toplight windows in the canopy up stands which are now infilled.

Thanks again for this info.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Last night was a night off from worknig on the layout but I did manage to print out the overflow car park signs.

This morning the sheet got a couple of spray coates of DUllcoteand a coat of grey on the back.

So the taks for tonight is to cut them out and glue them on the pallisade fencing.

Unfortunately there is still too much to do on the gas bottle store for them to be done htis weekend.

Once the signs are on, it will be time to box up the two centre boards and load ready for an early morning drive to RAILEX.

Looking forward to this weekend.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

The layout ran very well but some of including me made mistakes.

Very pleased with the layouts reliability now though.

The Farish 70 was out so after testing fitting a decoder and a bit of weatheting it was time to run them.

post-1557-0-38403200-1369501709_thumb.jpg

Gordons SuperVoyagers running in multiple were in use agsin along with my two XC Voyagers

post-1557-0-64802900-1369501730_thumb.jpg

The overflow car park digns are now fitted

post-1557-0-11273200-1369501753_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Pete

Still plenty more detailing to go to keep me busy.

Will take some more photos today and hopefully some video of Gordons sound fitted 66. It's got me wanting to fit sound to my locos now. Shame that the Surroundtraxx box doesn't have UK diesel sounds in it.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for your comments.

We had another good day today. More photos to post and a video to upload.

The Farish 70's ran well except when trying to pull a long. Container train. There is room for some extra weight so some lead was added but still need to add a bit more.

DEMU Showcase is our next show withbBanbury and plenty still to do on the stock and the layout.

Ian

Message from my son!

"I like your model railway. I will see you soon. Thank you for running Oliver Cromwell and Tornado for me and the silver Skip. I like the sound of the class 66"

Thank you for your time this afternoon. Cracking little piece of the modern railway you have re-created.

• RMweb Gold

Message from my son!

"I like your model railway. I will see you soon. Thank you for running Oliver Cromwell and Tornado for me and the silver Skip. I like the sound of the class 66"

Thank you for your time this afternoon. Cracking little piece of the modern railway you have re-created.

Say thanks to your sone Tom.

Glad he enjoyed it. Hopefully see you at DEMU.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

a few pics for you from last night and this morning, did a tamper conduct in a possession just north of the station

DSCF3718.jpg

DSCF3725.jpg

DSCF3726.jpg

a bit blurry, no tripod

DSCF3733.jpg

and this morning, thought i'd pop into the box before i headed home

DSCF3762.jpg

DSCF3763.jpg

DSCF3764.jpg

DSCF3765.jpg

• Like 5

Ian,

Good video

Given it was my first Sound conversion, I am very pleased on how it worked out, can see this getting a bit expensive 

Might see if I can convert a class 60 in time for DEMU. :imsohappy:

• RMweb Gold

Gordon

That would be good.

I may well try doing a Freightliner 66 or a WSMR 67 for DEMU.

I have been adding more weight to the Farish 70 this morning.
A few shots of where I have put it.

The loco now weathered, is the longest UK diesel I have so has had to go into a MK3 coach slot in tbe stock trays.
post-1557-0-48082500-1369650418_thumb.jpg

I have fitted the long Dapol Easy mate coupler to this one but the medium one appears to be working OK on 70 003.
post-1557-0-34307800-1369650438_thumb.jpg

The chassis with the extra weight insulated from the split frame and circuit board.
post-1557-0-01660700-1369650456_thumb.jpg

A small amount of lead wrapped in tape has bern positioned under the cab.
post-1557-0-58848300-1369650480_thumb.jpg
A small bit of lead glued under the chassis.

post-1557-0-49708400-1369650501_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 4