Banbury in N scale - A great time at the Abingdon in March 2024

roundhouse

Hi Ian,

It was great to see Banbury again although I never had to chance to spend long enough to really enjoy all the extra detail you have added and watch trains go by and even to get to have a chat. What I can say though is it looks even better in the flesh that the great photos we see of it on here and hopefully will see it at a show when I can spend some time just watching trains go by.

Hope you had a safe trip back home.

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Mark

Thanks for your comments.

Much the same with me as every time I though I had a moment to come only next door something needed doing or I needed to go and buy something!!

Love the sounds coming from your 37's Makes me want to model a little bit of Scotland from our numerous trips there in the 80's but I have too many other projects in mind as it is.

Our journey back was very good - 3.5 hours non stop. Good job the tennis was on in that respect.

I hope yours was as good.

Regards

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

I was going to have a few days break from the layoit but as it was too hot yesterday evening to do anything outside I sat in the shade in the conservatory doing dome weathering to both N scsle and Czech HO (more on that in a separate thread).

Two autoballasters had their wheels painted thrn the rest of the wagon weathered. These will be left yo dry for a few days before masking around the Rail track names ready to blank this out.

post-1557-0-81959100-1373351005_thumb.jpg

A start has also bern made on the Network Rail class 150 conversion. The glazing has bern removed apart from the cab end for now. Removal of the First Northwestern branding has commenced using fine wet and dry paper. Looking forward to fitting PH Designs etched as they look superb

post-1557-0-01952800-1373351215_thumb.jpg

Ian

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Tom

WIll be interested in how yours goes aswell.

I picked up the 150 at the weekend. It was a little bit hesitant so adjusted the circuit board pick ups onto the motor and it ran well. Fitted the 6 pin decoder. it started running but then the decoder went up in smoke.

Turns out that when I had adjusted the motor contacts , one of them was ever so slightly touching the chassis. Should have waited till I was back home and checked it under the magnifying glass!!

Luckily it was a decoder I had bought in the USA so was relatively cheap loss.

I have ordered the decals from Railtec.

http://www.railtec-models.com/catalog.php?&type=5&gauge=2mm&xfer_region=1&livery=104

Ian

• Like 1

Tom

WIll be interested in how yours goes aswell.

[snip]

I have ordered the decals from Railtec.

http://www.railtec-models.com/catalog.php?&type=5&gauge=2mm&xfer_region=1&livery=104

Ian

Mine might not progress for a while but if I get all the bits together I stand a better chance of 'hitting' it at some stage! Have just ordered the decals at your prompting ;-)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ah High Wycombe, we're both going to be at the same show again, i really must take the time to watch Banbury for a while there!

A very good show to do.

They look after you well there.

Look forward to seeing the extended Warren Lane

Ian

• RMweb Premium

I have only just ordered the 950 etch - to go on the selfsame base model! Will be interested to see how you get on with it.

Hi

I've also got one on order so will be watching both of yours with interest.

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Just a little bit of work on the 150 this morning.

I filed down the windows surround flush with the body. The next stage is to cut the relevant etch and file off the tags.

I intend to put some styrene pieces in tbe window opening to support the etch and to help get it flush with the bodywork.

post-1557-0-72807400-1373438182_thumb.jpg

Another small project is the C Rail tank container kit. The rest of the support structure was fixed this morning. A he small piece of styrene on tbe top is to keep these support pieces from bowing in whilst they set.

post-1557-0-45620600-1373438381_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Last night I managed to spend some time working on the 150.

The PH Designs etched window infills fit superbly well. To give them strength I have fitted styrene pieces recessed into the openings. Before they set the etch is positioned and a straight edge put across the body hello surface to make sure that the are flush with the body side.

The window that has been completely blanked off is filled with a piece of styrene rather than the etch.

The door infill was a bit trickier as the door edges are angled so the etch needs chamfering. One edge is pretty good but the other is slightly go proud hence the use of some filler.

I Wi get some paint on the body side thrn have a close look to see if more work is required.

post-1557-0-61436800-1373697697_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Not much to show on progress with the 150.

After painting in white, it showed up the blanked off door which I used styrene to infill rather than the etch, to be set back too far. So this morning the paint was removed form this area and some filler added. Hopefully tonight I can sand down and repaint the patch.

If all is Ok the unit will be painted yellow very soon as it would be nice to get this out of the way and onto some scenic works on the layout ready for Midland Railex next month. Although the garage is a bit too warm to work in at the moment despite all the insulation.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Bob

It probably wont be far off a week for me aswell.

I have not long been in so only just managed to sand down the lbanked off door and tocuh up with white piant. If it looks Ok in the morning I may get a coat of yellow on it before heading off to work.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

I had forgotten vapour the small grilles on the side of each unit just behind the cab door and about a third of the way down the left hand side of each unit.

I diversity left them off to low sanding of the body side but they still needed to go on before applying the yellow finish.

So this morning these were added to one coach and painted white.

The other coach will be set with tonight. The filler caps are in a different location to that moulded on by Farish so have been removed. I will probably leave these off for now as I feel that I may not get them right if adding using micro strips.

Now the next dilemma is how to apply the yellow. So far I have used enamel paints to prime the body sides. I have acrylic spray cans of yellow to go over the enamel or I can hand brush using Rail match yellow enamel.

I am not good enough with my airbrush to spray the enamel.

Ian

post-1557-0-75332800-1374041172_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Jon

I don't mind at all

I think it is this one that I got from Maplins.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/22w-fluorescent-daylight-magnifier-lamp-47980

It has a circular neon light so really does give out a nice even light. I have used it in almost complete darkness in the conservatory at night time. It gave out so much light that I didn't need to switch the conservatory light on.

Ian

Jon

I don't mind at all

I think it is this one that I got from Maplins.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/22w-fluorescent-daylight-magnifier-lamp-47980

It has a circular neon light so really does give out a nice even light. I have used it in almost complete darkness in the conservatory at night time. It gave out so much light that I didn't need to switch the conservatory light on.

Ian

Thanks, I'll check my local Maplins at the weekend.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian

I would airbrush it if you can, you may lose some of the details in the generator doors with aerosol paint. I did mine with the airbrush, and to be honest pulled my hair out at times but it was worth it in the end. Keep up the good work

Bob

IMG_0882_zps11644c64.jpg

I have decided against the Acrylic aerosol but have gone for brushing the paint on. The first coat of yellow has gone on very smoothly so hopefully will be Ok after a few coats.

Fingers crossed as yellow isn't an easy colour to get right!!

Ian

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Despite having little time last night for modelling I did manage to get the last of the grilles on the side of the second coach on thr NR class 150.

The first coach had the last of its yellow coats of paint this morning. I had concerns after the second coat that it wasn't going to look right but happier now. It's not perfect and the door grilles have lost a bit of depth but as long as the final coats af yellow are on the second coach then I will have a final review before painting the roof and adding the decals.

Here is a photo taken this morning.

Ian

post-1557-0-61771800-1374215680_thumb.jpg

• Like 4