RMweb

Banbury in N scale - A great time at the Abingdon in March 2024

roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Pete

They are much better than they used to be and osme are as good but the US Kato and Atlas stuff is very reliable. Not so keen on the newer Kato SD70Ace mechanisms as have had one loco strip the gears on a truck but that was cheap and easy to get a replacement from the USA (much easier than UK outline stuff). I also had one fairly new P42 with a duff motor and couldnt remeber where I had bought it so again a new motor ordered from the USA.

Considering how many USA N scale locos, its a pretty good low failure rate.

UK wise I have had plenty of stuttering locos some with poor pick ups and quite a few failed Farish 66's after only a year or so (spilt gears blown circuit boards and decoders after they had been working fine). The Dapol ones tend to be faulty straight off when inserting a decoder or a bit rough to start with but most of them are now running fine but still not as smooth as a Kato loco.

The new Dapol one has been test run but yet to do any distance so we will find out at the weekend.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Thisd morning the DCR 56303 had the last bit of cant rail stripe added.

The Easi Shunt knuckle couplers are fitted at one end. However the inner NEM box was very loose in the outer box, so it drooped.

Its now had some canopy glue added ot make it all level. The lack of horizontal movement in the box should be fine on a loco as they method thta I use to fit these couplers ot Farish 66's make them rigid and they work fine on the 11.5" radius curves in the fiddleyard.

Tonight it will get a few passes of dullcote mat varnish then it is ready for the weekend.

Plenty of other tasks to do tonight.

• RMweb Gold

Last night was spent sorting some of the stock out etc. So no more work on the layout it's self.

I did get to play around with the graphics for the FGW 165. This morning they were printed on white decal sheet and then sealed with spray. Still not too sure about the colour match but will put them on for now.

post-1557-0-99014800-1416469410_thumb.jpg

The DCC 56 has had half a dozen coats of Dullcote but parts of it are still gloss.

post-1557-0-41494100-1416469490_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ian,

I did get to play around with the graphics for the FGW 165. This morning they were printed on white decal sheet and then sealed with spray. Still not too sure about the colour match but will put them on for now.
attachicon.gif20141120_064931-picsay.jpg

They look a much better colour than the ones I tried to make - hope they look OK when in place.

See you at Warley!

Cheers,

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian,

They look a much better colour than the ones I tried to make - hope they look OK when in place.

See you at Warley!

Cheers,

Dave

Thanks Dave.

It did take up much of the evening playing around with size and colour.

See you tomorrow.

Ian

PS - if the decals turn out Ok I will run a few more off if i get chance.

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

On my way home from a work do to load the layout. Hope Ai don't wake the neighbours.

Oh and one more thing.

If you want one of these then please order now before you forget.

On my way home from a work do to load the layout. Hope Ai don't wake the neighbours.

Oh and one more thing.

If you want one of these then please order now before you forget.

post-1557-0-69891300-1416518738.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Gary

Look forward to seeing you.

We have a full crew this weekend so hopefully will get time to chat.

This mornings first task was to get the decals on one side of the FGW 165 DMU.

The colour match isn't bad although they do require a bit more work but at least they are on temporarily for now for Warley.

I might try printing them from the work colour laser printer when no one is about. Not the best photo as I didn't want to touch the decals trying to couple the unit etc. but it shows what the decals look like.

post-1557-0-28483600-1416553399_thumb.jpg

They are now safely stored in the stock box to dry.

Car now fully loaded ready for my other half to drive to Banbury where I will meet her later.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 6

Hope all is well upon assembly, Ian.

After a fraught few weeks and a rotten trip up from Devon tonight we are ready to go in the morning. Thomas Ivor very much looking forward to seeing you! Have you got 950001 with you, perchance? We have at least started ours now...

• RMweb Premium

Hope all is well upon assembly, Ian.After a fraught few weeks and a rotten trip up from Devon tonight we are ready to go in the morning. Thomas Ivor very much looking forward to seeing you! Have you got 950001 with you, perchance? We have at least started ours now...

did you get caught in thaty awful traffic on the m42 as well

• RMweb Gold

Hope all is well upon assembly, Ian.

After a fraught few weeks and a rotten trip up from Devon tonight we are ready to go in the morning. Thomas Ivor very much looking forward to seeing you! Have you got 950001 with you, perchance? We have at least started ours now...

Tom

Look forward to seeing you and Ivor. We are stand C50 which is about half way down the hall over to the right not far from the roller shutters as you enter.

Layout all set up and working but it was quite windy and cold with the shutters up for vehicle entry into the hall. I am wearing a Hinksey Yard exhibitors badge as that's what was in amongst ours for some reason and only noticed yesterday when we got them out to put on!!!

95001 is set up in the fiddle yard.

My journey up from Marylebone to Banbury was rather pleasant in the loco husked service with 67018 on the front.

My other half got stuck a few times on the M25 and M40. I took over for the rest of the journey and whilst the traffic was heavy we managed to keep moving on the M40 and M42.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday went well at NEC although we still had a few mishaps. Must get block detection fitted soon!!

Glad that Tom and Ivor enjoyed themselves with Ivor having two operating sessions. He did really well both times.

Hopefully I will get chance to take a few photos today and also get chance to at least look at the superb N scale layouts near us especially Hinksey Yard.

And don't forget about pledging for a Pendolino on Kickstarter.

post-1557-0-28714900-1416724064.jpg

• Like 1

A mere 47 hours after I picked him up, Thomas Ivor has been and gone! He had a wonderful time yesterday at the NEC, although the crowding was hard work in the morning and I am starting to wonder whether the show represents best value for us. Flat GoPro batteries precluded us making a planned video to show what a child's experience of the show. It is hard work!

It was therefore such a pleasure to spend some time taking a rest from the crowds and operating 'Banbury'! Thank you so much to Ian, Mike and the team for your patience and kindness. Thomas Ivor emphatically determined that it was the highlight of his outing, and to have the opportunity to do it in front of such a crowd was a big thing for him. I am very proud of his achievement!

A few happy snaps with our gratitude:

post-9664-0-15104400-1416765490_thumb.jpg

post-9664-0-99327900-1416765527_thumb.jpg

post-9664-0-28285500-1416765594_thumb.jpg

post-9664-0-75246100-1416765627_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Tom

It was a pleasure to see him thoroughly engrossed in operating. Look forward to seeing you both some time next year.

Now on our way back down the M40 and was clear till I started typing this but now a 5 minute delay ahead probably about High Wycombe!

I did the first bit of the drive and now my other half has taken over.

Superb show as ever but didn't really get to see many layouts. Wallet is a bit lighter though!!

Some photos to follow.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Glad you enjoyed watching.

Today the layout ran exceptionally well when us operators weren't msking mistake, me making some silly ones!!

I didn't take very many photos this weekend as it was just too busy out front but this evening not long before the close of the show it was quiet so I got a few.

We had a visiting Arriva Trains Wales DVT on the Chiltern services as happened on the prototype a few times.

post-1557-0-60373500-1416771902_thumb.jpg

And a couple of general views.

post-1557-0-15754300-1416772088_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-76701200-1416772156_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian

Thanks for taking the time to talk to me on Saturday and also for your explanation as to how your computer system runs your layout.

Given that Banbury was the main reason I travelled all the way up from Portsmouth (dragging my poor wife with me) I certainly wasn't disappointed. I also think you should give your layout a lot more credit than you do - it's one of the best I've seen and it's definitely made me want to get started on my own creation of Westbury.

Keep the updates coming.

All the best

Mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Ian,

Many congratulations in being awarded "best N gauge layout in show" by the Warley organisers for Banbury.

It's a great layout and seems to get better each time I view it!  Loved the preserved coaching stock and MoD trains too... and I think that post office car park will look considerably more colourful once it's full of red vans!

And thanks again for your support for our N gauge pendolino project - I have put a pic of Banbury with the leaflets on in our thread!

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian

Thanks for taking the time to talk to me on Saturday and also for your explanation as to how your computer system runs your layout.

Given that Banbury was the main reason I travelled all the way up from Portsmouth (dragging my poor wife with me) I certainly wasn't disappointed. I also think you should give your layout a lot more credit than you do - it's one of the best I've seen and it's definitely made me want to get started on my own creation of Westbury.

Keep the updates coming.

All the best

Mike

Thanks Mike

It was good to talk with you. Good luck with Westbury as that's quite a bit bigger project than Banbury.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Ian,

Many congratulations in being awarded "best N gauge layout in show" by the Warley organisers for Banbury.

It's a great layout and seems to get better each time I view it! Loved the preserved coaching stock and MoD trains too... and I think that post office car park will look considerably more colourful once it's full of red vans!

And thanks again for your support for our N gauge pendolino project - I have put a pic of Banbury with the leaflets on in our thread!

cheers

Ben A.

Thanks Ben.

It was a complete surprise when they turned up Sunday morning with Pete. Plenty of other N scale layouts worthy of ending such as Hinksey Yard, St Ruth etc. My other half suddenly appeared with her phone!!!

post-1557-0-98867600-1416814819_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Congratulations on a well deserved award.

It was great to be able to have a chat and catch up on the 165 progress.

And many thanks for the "Hinksey Yard 20 miles (or for this weekend only - just behind us)" advertising!   :drink_mini:

Cheers,

Dave