Banbury in N scale - A great time at the Abingdon in March 2024

roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Jon and Swifty11

This morning i have been checking the Dapol magnetic couplins on the freightliner flats as we had a few of those keep coming uncoupled or were very hard to couple in the fiddleyard. They all now seem to be working better after using some Kadee Greas'em powder in the ones that were stiff.

The Dapol Childrens Railway livery class 66 didnt want to stay coupled to the loaded caol hoppers so this has had its Dapol magnetic couplers fitted with a spot of canopy glue to stop them from drooping.

Another Dapol 66 has had extra weight added this morning so that it can also haul the coal hoppers now that they are fitted with the Dapol magnetic couplers at the end of the rake. The fixed knuckles have been used on the majority of the inteermediate coal wagons.

Also this morning, more of the class 168's have now had the Tomix couplers fitted to the intermediate coaches.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 2

Ian,

Correct me if I'm wrong (!) - the scenic section is 16' by 30" and you have two fiddleyards at 12' long each. How are the fiddleyard oriented in relation to the scenic section (i.e. out either side, 90 degrees, behind)?

Unfortunately it is unlikely that I'll be over in the UK to see it in person this year.......

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Pete

The overall size including the fiddleyard is 16 feet by 3 feet.

The scenic section is 12 feet by 2 feet.

The fiddleyard runs round the back of the layout on separate but adjoining boards.

Se the photos below which should explain a bit better. its the same fiddleyard that is used on Santa Barbara.

The first shot shows the main fiddleyard roads that are on a 1 foot wide board that abuts the backscene of the scenic boards

post-1557-0-08291700-1361704078_thumb.jpg

The end boards run at 90 degress to the other boards and contain the 180 degree curves to get round to the scenic section. A time delay shot with the Blue Pullman wizzing round the curve.

post-1557-0-39690400-1361704101_thumb.jpg

Ian

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

I have a hand drawn track plan. I shoukd trgbtobuse Templot to draw it out

Hi Ian,

Templot is primarily intended for designing handbuilt track. It's not suitable for use with Peco pointwork.

May I suggest that you use David Hoogvorst's AnyRail program instead: http://www.anyrail.com

regards,

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

Martin

Thanks for that info.

I will give that a try.

Branchiie

It's amazing how quickly the stock builds up. Some of the stock has been built or obtained by two others who help with the layout.

The downside is setting it up and packing it away at the end of a show. Doesn't help with all the new models being released either!

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Seeing your NMT HST - did you use the Electra vinyls? Mine are a very different colour to the power cars - much more sunshine yellow rather than the warning panel yellow of the power cars. I know the prototype has varied over the years, but yours look very similar colour!

• RMweb Gold

Yes the coaches are Electra Graphics vinyls. This isn't mine although I am pretty sure they are a slight difference in colour not sure if he has coated the vinyls with Matt varnish which I now do with these vinyls before peeling them off the sheet.

• RMweb Gold

This morning we were at Banbury station about 07.30 to see the procession of loco hauled Chiltern services and the MOD freight.

Its a very husy station nowadays in the rush hour with people going in both directions to work

I will post a link to the video once I upload it to YouTube later.

Looks like the vegetation clearance has commenced today for the new multi story car park next to the Royal Mail property

Ian

post-1557-0-30685400-1361787949_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-46112800-1361787979_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Hi Ian,

Templot is primarily intended for designing handbuilt track. It's not suitable for use with Peco pointwork.

May I suggest that you use David Hoogvorst's AnyRail program instead: http://www.anyrail.com

regards,

Martin.

XtrkCad is an alternative (free as well) - I've used it since the 90s and can recommend it - comes with Peco code 55 template libraries

STEVE

• RMweb Gold

Thanks ben

It just misses the cant of the tracks. I contemplated doing this but with squeezing up the track layout it woould have been difficult to do when adding the turnouts at the south end by the South box.

After yesterdays visit to Banbury I now have some more detailing to do!

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Work has now commenced on more detailing work.

The first area to be dealt with is to add the missing concrete troughing at the North end of the station. the photo below shows the start of this alteration. The junctions are now being insterted for two runs across the track bed of the disconnected loading bays. There is also another run parrallel to the tracks to add. Whilst I was aware of this prior to our visit last Monday, there are plenty of other details I have now spotted that will be added in the next few weeks.

Ian

post-1557-0-69585500-1362039515_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if Big Jim was driving either of the DVT's?

Layout is looking good.

Pete

Thanks Pete

I did keep a look out incase he was but its not always easy to see through into the cab especially when holding a camera doing video.

One driver did blow the horn on departing when he saw I had a camera which made a nice touch.

I missed videoing the earlier  non stop set as was expecting it to stop and also I had moved under the canopy as it started to rain.

Regards

Ian

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if Big Jim was driving either of the DVT's?Layout is looking good.Pete

no, i was annual leave last week

couple more prototype pics for you.....

60063 crawling through warwick parkway, sounded nice!

23BC21D7-FE68-4792-A58C-EE0A5A5DE433-675

and one of banbury, unusually 67010 was parked in the up bay, i was on 82302/67014 combo

63DF693F-1B70-45C5-8A3B-BF529F64DEAD-675

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Jim.

A couple of nice shots there.

I need to get hold of more ex WSMR class 67's!

Interesting as to why it was there. Had it failed or whas it enroute soemwhere awaiting a different driver I wonder.

Note that the black rubber walkway / crossing across the sidings and Up freight loop (was to the left of 67010) has now gone. I presume that used to be to allow road / rail maintenance vehicles to access the tracks. The one on the model is staying!

Ian

• RMweb Gold

I have woken up early and cant get back to sleep with too much on my mind, so looks like I will be going into the garage to do a bit more trunking and orange ducting in the areas shown in the photos below - maybe doing soem of these bits wil make me feel tired and get soem more sleep!

Its amazing just how much there is of this trunking and ducting despite previously adding quite a bit some months back.

post-1557-0-46025600-1362194407_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-79298600-1362194455_thumb.jpg

• Like 6