Hornby 28xx - Motor Problems

South Wiltshire Railway

Hi,

Today i just got a Hornby 28xx class from Kernow Model Rail Centre and i done a few running test and well, the motor seems to be a little shuttering. Then i just got it to work then, its stop and chucking out smoke. All my other trains work without no problem, there is no such connection problems. Just wondering has anyone had this problem?

Cheers

Tom

Hi,

Today i just got a Hornby 28xx class from Kernow Model Rail Centre and i done a few running test and well, the motor seems to be a little shuttering. Then i just got it to work then, its stop and chucking out smoke. All my other trains work without no problem, there is no such connection problems. Just wondering has anyone had this problem?

Cheers

Tom

Solution - send back to Kernow - sounds like a motor about to die!

Simplest thing to do is pack it up & post it back to the retailer, I suggest you use recorded delivery to prove that it is received by them, your rights are such that you can request a full refund including your out of pocket expenses (postage).

You can of course accept a replacement at your discretion

I had one from "Penny Lane Models" just before Christmas. Running on DC. Started OK for a couple of minutes and then running really slowly. The capacitor/suppressor across the motor wiring had melted. Removed what was left of it and rewired and now fine.

Tender drawbar also fixed the wrong way round by the factory, also sorted but it`s not a screw on the tender it`s a plug, glued at the top.

Hornby very helpful when feedback sent and questions asked.

I sorted mine but not something you would wish on a novice on Christmas morning.

I didn`t send mine back but you certainly should, smoke sounds very dodgy.

I will, i sent an email ages ago, and still no reply. The Dcc plug was the right way thought it was the problem, had another right running it and it doesn't work now. So looks like an letter will have to go back for a replacement loco!

Am I right that this was a 'DCC-ready' loco? And it ran poorly, ... with 'Dcc plug' do you mean the engine-tender connecting 4-wire plug?

Take a close look at the 4-wire harness where it comes out of the underside of the cab, alongside the engine-tender coupling. This can snag on the drawbar, .. maybe it shorted?

Otherwise I would not try to mess with is unless very carefully. if there was a fault with it the retailer will replace it.

Rob

Running on DC. Started OK for a couple of minutes and then running really slowly. The capacitor/suppressor across the motor wiring had melted. Removed what was left of it and rewired and now fine.

I didn`t send mine back but you certainly should, smoke sounds very dodgy.

I had something similar happen. New loco, on test run (DC) it started smoking, and I thought it was the motor. Took the body off, and the remains of the capacitor fell out. Tried loco again, and it ran OK, and has done since. Now, ought I have contacted Hornby for a new capacitor? The loco certainly seems fine now. The other 28XX I have has not had this problem.

I had something similar happen. New loco, on test run (DC) it started smoking, and I thought it was the motor. Took the body off, and the remains of the capacitor fell out. Tried loco again, and it ran OK, and has done since. Now, ought I have contacted Hornby for a new capacitor? The loco certainly seems fine now. The other 28XX I have has not had this problem.

I am told by a friend who used to design capacitors professionally that running without one will make very little difference on a modern Hornby motor. The capacitor is there to reduce sparking from the motor brushes/commutator which may cause TV interference in some circumstances. He thinks this may be a batch of capacitors which do not meet the specification. I`d be interested to hear if anyone else has had this on any other locos.

Archived