Loch Leven,

Andrew P

Hi Guys and Galls well the time has come to get started again. Marston was a disaster I kept changing it and so the base board was like a cullender underneath, mind you it did make it liight. Loch Long is the end of a Station that is on a line that was prosossed but never built to reach Fort William from the South. This would have taken the line either over or around Loch Leven just to the south of Fort William.My main interest is shunting stock, making up and breaking down train formations etc. I decided not to model the Station as with only 5 ft 6 inch scenic area room was at a premium so again like Kingsmill, and St Budoc I have gone for the bit the other side of the road bridge. With Loch Leven the line has left Fort William and headded south passing the station (fiddle yard) and then passes under the road bridge with the pub and Chapel above and then passes the sidings (scenic section) before entering the short tunnel, this will enter a second fiddle yard at exhibitions for more operation. The center road is the main line into the Station and is also used to run around the train and sort into sidings. The goods yard it self is next to the station so you cant see that. When a train is to be made up to depart is is formed in the road to the front of the layout and is brought back into the station area usually by the shunter for the departing loco to take away. There is also a Bagged Cement distribution Shed that has van traffic and can only be accessed from the goods yard head shunt so that make operation more interesting. Well I will see how it goes, Hopefully I will finish this one.

post-9335-0-38372500-1326545663_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-73961800-1326545672_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-17571000-1326545681_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-56602200-1326545686_thumb.jpg

looking like a good start ,what track are you using?

keep up the good work.

Hi James, Thanks The track is standard Peco Code 100, the ballast for the main line is some orange coloured sand I found in a box as some Scottish ballast is a red colour and the sidings are normal very fine beach sand and will be weathered when dried.

You've been busy there Andy! I've lost count of the number of layouts that you have built!

Should provide plenty of operational and scenic interest with this one!

Cheers mate yes operation is my main interest and with Kadees I should enjoy playing SORRY I mean shunting.

Your the inspiration now OH MASTER, I bow to your detailing skills, HA HA

Ha ha i feel like Yoda haha, iv actually been reading Kingsmill today for a little inspiration for the next project, i have modellers block at the moment, i dont know how you do it, i have boards ready and a blank canvas and no plan to go with, i think iv lost my mojo hahaha

Ha ha i feel like Yoda haha, iv actually been reading Kingsmill today for a little inspiration for the next project, i have modellers block at the moment, i dont know how you do it, i have boards ready and a blank canvas and no plan to go with, i think iv lost my mojo hahaha

Then do what I did a couple of years ago and try O GAUGE. :no:

I too have been amazed at the number of layout's that you have built over the year's, l have known you for well over twenty year's, and you still amaze me with your enthusiasm, (l still think the best one was in your garage when we lived in the south where you had four train's running on different up and over track's, amazing), well done again...good luck with the next one...............

Cheers George, yes that was a fun layout with full length Freightliners and 18 wagon spoil trains behind Lima 60 and 66's, great days mate. But now I am into more prototype operation, although not totally authentic it gives me enjoyment shunting a yard as I can't run long trains any more unless I go N Gauge and my eyes and WALLET wont let me do that.

Guest oldlugger

Your new layout Andy has a very nice atmosphere and look to it; you should retain the uncluttered appearance as this enhances the these characteristics. I especially like the area around the road bridge (the one with the white pub). The backscene works well too as it has been painted in slightly muted colours. Looking forward to more photos...

All the best

Simon

Your new layout Andy has a very nice atmosphere and look to it; you should retain the uncluttered appearance as this enhances the these characteristics. I especially like the area around the road bridge (the one with the white pub). The backscene works well too as it has been painted in slightly muted colours. Looking forward to more photos...

All the best

Simon

Thanks Simon, Yes I did try harder with the back scene this time, I will have some photos of the Chapel on here later if I can get my comp to work properly as I keeps saying I have run out of memory, (or maybe thats just me!).

Hi, well I have finally made a start with some scenics and started with the little Skaledale Chapel by the road bridge, I just need a better tree to put behind it. The pic's are not very good as I think my camera settings have altered so I need to look into that before any more photos. the next bit will be the pub but I need to re name it first, Possibly The Thirsty Jock, or Loch View or something, any ideas out there?

post-9335-0-80732900-1327260264_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-60517700-1327260271_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-63350100-1327260279_thumb.jpg

Thanks all, the pub names are coming in well, I have not ruled any out yet but its got to be right. The jam on the bridge will probably have a copper sorting out the two drivers who both refuse to back up so that will be different.

Finally sorted out my camera settings, my F was at 13.5 instead of 3.5 ????????? or what ever!!! Anyway a couple more pic's to be going on with, first my Blue Scottish fleet and then the new trees over Chapel Street.

post-9335-0-97410400-1327580541_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-06209000-1327580552_thumb.jpg

liking the locomotive fleet is that 47148 ?

It is indeed sir, only picked it up yesterday so it has not been detailed, weathered or fitted a sound chip yet. The shop has another one so I may get that as well to re number it. but I have just ordered the Peak Cross Fell in Blue with sound so thats my next spend sorted.

Finally sorted out my camera settings, my F was at 13.5 instead of 3.5 ?????????

TBH I always get much better pictures of my layouts and macro projects - not just railways - with a higher f number. This is explained by and intrinsically linked to the depth of field effect, which is all about the apperture size you're looking through. The wikipedia page (here) is very good at explaining it.

In short, the higher the f number, the smaller the camera apperture, so the less "angle of confusion". Therefore more of the picture is in focus. The only downside is that you need to have a relatively long exposure (and no shaking camera), or an external light / flash to get enough light through to get the picture.

Do you use a DSLR or a compact?

All the best with the layout, I'm following intently :)

Andy

Archived