Loch Leven,

Andrew P

TBH I always get much better pictures of my layouts and macro projects - not just railways - with a higher f number. This is explained by and intrinsically linked to the depth of field effect, which is all about the apperture size you're looking through. The wikipedia page (here) is very good at explaining it.

In short, the higher the f number, the smaller the camera apperture, so the less "angle of confusion". Therefore more of the picture is in focus. The only downside is that you need to have a relatively long exposure (and no shaking camera), or an external light / flash to get enough light through to get the picture.

Thanks Andy, My camera is a Fuji S5700 normal Digital camera I will study what you have said and also find the manual and read the Wiki link. Thanks for your help. Andy.

Do you use a DSLR or a compact?

All the best with the layout, I'm following intently :)

Andy

TBH I always get much better pictures of my layouts and macro projects - not just railways - with a higher f number. This is explained by and intrinsically linked to the depth of field effect, which is all about the apperture size you're looking through. The wikipedia page (here) is very good at explaining it.

In short, the higher the f number, the smaller the camera apperture, so the less "angle of confusion". Therefore more of the picture is in focus. The only downside is that you need to have a relatively long exposure (and no shaking camera), or an external light / flash to get enough light through to get the picture.

Do you use a DSLR or a compact?

All the best with the layout, I'm following intently :)

Andy

Hi Andy, My camera is a Fuji S5700 normal digital camera, I will study what you have said and also find the manual and read the Wiki link. Thanks and all the best Andy.

Had a busy afternoon putting some more rock outcrops around, using DAS. I have also done the cobbled yard around "Jock" The Strap Makers, factory :stinker: I hope to get some photos of that and the rocks when painted and post over the weekend.

Looking better every time l look mate, well done, just a thought l think it would look even better if it was on the S&D with 3fs - 4fs - Bullied's - standard's, l can just see your well weathered 9f, coasting through on an oil working, as l said just a thought.........

Looking better every time l look mate, well done, just a thought l think it would look even better if it was on the S&D with 3fs - 4fs - Bullied's - standard's, l can just see your well weathered 9f, coasting through on an oil working, as l said just a thought.........

Thanks mate, already collecting stock for that layout but more Midlands based, I have a Black 5, Jubilee and 8F all with Sound and a K3, next thing I need is the new Hornby B1. I have just ordered a Peak in Blue with SOUND.

Right now for some pic's of my efforts over the last few days, the cobbles in the yard, and the rocks, I have painted the surrounding area green ready for the grass treatment. Ignore the white spots on the track, that will get cleaned up at a later date. The next jobbbie is the main yard and its entrance. I also need to find a way of blending that end into the hill and tunnel entrance.

post-9335-0-22628100-1327829880_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-25652600-1327829894_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-71719600-1327829906_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-67068000-1327829918_thumb.jpg

Being more likely to have been built by cut and cover, rather than tunnelled, the culvert under the railway shouldn't have bedrock on top of it. :no:

A grassy bank would look better than the bare rock here.

Being more likely to have been built by cut and cover, rather than tunnelled, the culvert under the railway shouldn't have bedrock on top of it. :no:

A grassy bank would look better than the bare rock here.

Thanks for your in put Oscale I will change that. This is the great thing about the web, you get great advice from people who know more than you do, and that can only go to improve the finished layout. Thanks again.

Hi, well the last couple of days have seen a bit more activity, this time in the yard. I have finished the yard off with BBQ ash, put a fence along the rear with a small embankment and some trees and hedgerow to blend it in to the back back scene, I feel it has worked, it is now a case of hiding the yard entrance, but not the cottage. and then it is the end of the layout to sort out.

post-9335-0-11221300-1328130736_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-19909600-1328130751_thumb.jpg

Why the name change : you may ask! Well Loch Leven was going to be its name originally and then I thought Less is More was a good choice but now I have had second thoughts, so, it is back to my first idea. I went to Fort William in 1970 to the Scottish Six Days Trials, (motor cycle trials) and in those days there was only a small ferry at the mouth of Loch Leven with the A82 going around the Loch and through Kinlochleven,so it was about a 15 mile drive around the Loch and on a Sunday morning, and at a time when NOTHING opened in Scotland on a Sunday and my mate and I had only some chocolate biscuits left in my Ford Thames Camper Van until Monday morning, so I have a lot of memories of that trip. The only thing is that I was NOT INTO RAILWAYS at that time so Fort William Station and the surrounding area was not visited, WHAT A WASTE. I missed all those blue 37's etc.

Thanks for that Chard, I hadn't realised you had it in your Blog, Keep it warm because the Lessismore brance might be a long one we could join from your line to Scotland. Mind you that would be Moreismore. :no:

At last the pic's I promised a couple of days ago. The security fencing around the distribution yard is the Ratio one and was a right pig to do with my poor eyesight and shaky fingers. I was going to use the Knightwing fence but I didn't buy enough at Stafford yesterday. I was going back today but it was decided to give it a miss with the bad roads. Ignore the end back scene still as I could not buy any decent trees at the show or foliage to make any.

post-9335-0-19028900-1328465212_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-58366200-1328465247_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-65263100-1328465268_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-06664000-1328465287_thumb.jpg

Archived