Ian Allen book/model shop, worth a look?

Grimly Feendish

I'll be back in dear old blighty in about a weeks time and I'm wondering if on my drive up from Heathrow to Shropshire if it will be worth while taking a left off the M6 and toddling along to the Ian Allen book/model shop in Brum on my way.

Can anybody tell me if they have a decent range of books or products in stock? Is it a big place?

I'm looking for books covering the prototype from modernization to the end of the BR Blue era. Modelling wise I'm looking for a shop that carries a good stock of "bits & pieces" and not just a box shifter, if you know what I mean.

I'll also be in the Didcot area for a few days. Would it be worth my while visiting Howes of Oxford? I've never been there, but if I can get away for a couple of hours during the day I'm very tempted.

Thanks,

John.

• RMweb Gold

I visit ian allan in brum most weeks when im walking between moor at and new st, its a very good shop on 2 levels, upstairs being the railway department.

They are not cheap for models but cheaper than nearby modelzone, there is a clearance sale on at the moment with stuff like m7s reduced to about £70, emt hst twin pack for £90, and a lot of contenental stuff by liliput etc 1/2 proce or 1/3 off

Howes is worth a look if your passing too, decent prices and plenty to see in the shop, a few bargains to be had in the 2nd hand cabinet maybe?

They do have a good stock of Hornby, Bachmann & Farish rolling stock, Metcalfe & Superquick kits plus some modelling paraphernalia - paints, brushes, tools as they also cater to military modelling. Occasional bargains can be had and they can be a source for those 'quick to sell out everywhere else' items so worth popping in but otherwise their prices aren't so competitive. Check Modelzone for the same reasons and their exclusives.

I snaffled a Farish 60 in EWS livery earlier this year when it was out of stock everywhere else for the bargain price of £59.95 from MZ. Ian Allen still had a LT pannier in the cabinet last week. (stand back for the stampede! :triniti: )

C. :)

... on my drive up from Heathrow to Shropshire if it will be worth while taking a left off the M6 ...

If you are going to Brum you may, depending on the time of day, like to miss out the M1 and take the M40 as you miss out more M25. Don't know how well you know the UK but it's possibly a quicker drive. At the end of the M40 head north one junction and take the A34/A3400 into town. Then when you get to Digbeth you have a choice of car parks. Going on to Shropshire it's then heading north, A38M, M6, M54. IMHO it's a much less crowded drive than M25, M1, M6.

And yes, the Ian Allan shop is good.

IA Birmingham, recommended. Friendly, helpful staff, excellent range of books and DVDs. Comprehensive blue and red box selections, plus the generic accessories (Peco, Woodland Scenics, Oxford, Base etc). Also I would second the travel preference of M40 option vs the M1 and M6, as the M40 is far easier to access from Heathrow for starters, and it takes you within 30 minutes' driving or so of Howes into the bargain.

• RMweb Gold

The relativley new location for the shop which is very close to the second entrance to new Street station is much better than the old shop and really handy if going by train. Not sure what the parking will be like though.

A very good range of books and a pretty good range of models. We try and make time to visit when in the Birmingham area.

Ian

Archived