The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Debs.

In the 60's/70's I favoured shortscale Gibson basses. Stopped playing in the 80's and sold the two Les Pauls which I now live to regret. Started playing again in 1990 and when buying strings for my remaining EB3 (now back to cherry red) I fell in love with the Warwick bass on the shop wall and had to take it home with me, eventually buying another two. I have retired my rather roadworn Gibson EB3 and now use an Epiphone Elitist EB3 which is a dead ringer for my '64 Gibson but has a more intonatable bridge.

GibsonBasses2.jpgWarwicks.jpg Rig.jpg

....I always tell beginners (if they ask) to always practice guitar standing up I know of only one pro who plays on stage sitting down.

I generally do stand up when I play the Strats and SG, but I like the Epiphone Sheraton as I can play it like BB King and John Lee Hooker - sitting down (not that I'm anywhere near their standard). A not unimportant consideration considering I've got 2 dodgy knees (no more jumping around the stage for me....)

For some obscure reason, I've never used valve amps (I have a chum who swears by them), but I've got a great digital modelling amp and - at the volumes I play at at home - it's pretty much all I need.

Cheers

F

I was thinking of Jeff "Skunk" Baxter - and even he has been known to stand up on stage if someone is taking a photo. One of my all-time favourite solos is him on Steely Dan's "My Old School".

Someone mention Jorma K? Well, he is 70. Coincidently I was talking to my pal Barry Mitterhof last evening. Barry plays Mandolin with Jorma in Hot Tuna and his daughter and mine are best friends at our local High School - where they were both performing last night in the School Concert Band.

Dottore, Made mistake the Chapin/Strat has a one piece mahogany body. My other Chapin Strat has the Ash body (it was not pictured along with my '52 Tele and '82 Les Paul unfashionable year but I love it, it sounds exactly like Mick Taylor's first Lester on Mayall's "Crusade" album "thick and chewy" - but it also has the Green mod).

Best, Pete.

Some really tasty instruments on here, and itjust goes to show that us railway people doother things as well and interestingly railway interests and music appear to go together I guess its ART FORM. :-)

Peter

Ps: Has anyone ever hered of an 'Miazzi Echomatic' and if so who actually owns one.

Should be 'Meazzi'. Don't know anything about the Echomatic, I just know that Meazzi are an Italian company who made, amongst other things, a range of drums, under the Hollywood name, in the 60's and 70's.

Yes,

I had the pleasure of looking at 3 of them last summer and at least one was pristine, I know of 2 of two guys that use them in Shads outfits and one of the chaps is the lead guitarist for Bruce Welch's own band and I don't mean Hank.

I guess according to form if you are fortunate enough to find one and in working order your looking at a 3 to £4000 price tag

Just to mention that Hank Marvin of the Shadows recorded all the early hits using an Echomatic, like Apache, Wonderful land and FBI to name a few.

cheers

Peter

At that sort of price, if you had the money you might instead want to consider the TVS3 which Hank has been using for the last 4 years. These units were specifically designed to replicate all the old echo units he used in the past, and he was in on the project from the design stage. UK price 2.6K, so would save you a few pennies...

Some interesting audio and video links here, particularly the first one: http://www.tvsspecia...s.com/page7.htm

Hi Adrian,

The TVS3 is a fantastic machine and indeed Hank has moved from the Alesis Q20 onto the TVS, you may be aware that another unit is being created By Charlie Hall & John collins.

Charlie Hall was responsible for creating the EFTP software that Hank Used on the Q2 and Q20 machines.

I had the privaledge last year to play through the prototype of the new echo unit that Charlie kindly allowed and I have to say when compared in an A&B comparison with the Meazzi echomatic at the time there was very little difference in sound it was terrific to say the least and at the time still not finished.

I own a Yammaha Magicstomp with the EFTP software to emulate the Echomatic which it does very well, the EFTP software on this machine was also written by Charlie Hall.IO guess if I had £4000 to spend on whatever it would be neither An echomatic or a TVS3 but be sure I will be purchasing the Hall & Collins unit :-)

cheers

Peter

Here's my "Hank" built by Luthier Bill Chapin of Portland. We tried to get the right Fiesta Red that was used on the UK Imports in the '50's. You can really end up chasing your tail with this kind of stuff!

Was only going for Hanks looks, not sound. Note the reverse angled Bridge Pick Up.

Most of my Strats have the second tone control wired to the Bridge pick up rather than the Middle. On that control you can also pull it up turning on the Bridge Pick up whilst the blade switch is in any position. This allows Bridge Pick up and Neck Pick up on together or all three on at once.

post-9016-0-01808100-1327646745.jpg

Best, Pete.

Hi Pete,

you have a nice selection of guitars there, and you have made a nice job of the Hank look-a-like.

With regard to the fiesta red it is a good likeness and your probably aware of the Hank anoraks out there who are very particular about the shade of Hanks original strat he had brought back from America by Cliff and arguably the first strat in the UK at that time.

The shade was sometimes mistaken for salmon pink but was in fact fiesta red and slightly fifferent from the shade he used in 61 0n the young ones film.

I have allways had an ankoring for a fiesta red colour on my strat but was told it would de value my guitar which is an original 1978

cheers

Peter

Peter

Hi Pete,

Sorry for the delayed response, no i am not a member nor did iknow it existed but will have a look at it.

A freind of mine Norman Barratt of Gravy train passed away unexpectedly last year, he was a session guitarist and went on tour with Cliff back in the 80s, at the moment his son is selling all his gear and i can tell you there are some very interesting items, its not a plug but suffice to say there are a couple of early 1960s genuin AC30s up for grabs one of which is on ebay at the mo + a link to Norm playing.

cheers

Peter.

Peter,

Many thanks. I like AC30's but they do not like me, I don't sound right through them. My all time favourite amp, for me, is the JTM45 (in it's various forms) but handwired (of course).

Besides there are too many original AC30's over here - they should stay where they were born!

Best, Pete.

I play 2nd cornet for Rugeley Power Station Brass Band - been playing for 8 years and its great fun. We play for pleasure and don't do competitions.

Best banding/railway moment has been when we played for the Queen when she named 67029 'Royal Diamond' at Rugeley Trent Valley station a few years ago.

Good to see Rugeley mentioned on here - last August we moved from a village near there to the SW. From 1994 until we moved, I was a member of Rugeley Musical Theatre Company (formerly Rugeley Operatic Society) so I have sung alto in all the standard musicals (mainly Chorus, some solo) and also play the piano. I always found music making to be therapeutic when work was dreary and even more fun now I've retired!

• RMweb Gold

I sung a duet with Frank Sinatra once...he sang on the radio and I sang in the shower...

Does that count? ;)

Probably not - you and I ought to stick to modelling perhaps! I used to sing in a school choir - with Ashcombe in the # above - but have never taken up an instrument. At the touring St Petersburg Ballet here last week, with 30-piece orchestra, it was an absolute joy to be within almost touching distance of the woodwinds. Musicians are such clever people to hear and to watch!

I like to think of myself as a musician, but then when I start to play, reality sets in !! ....... I can just about squeak out a passable tune on the accoustic guitar, and like a strum on the Tenor Uke too ...... what with that and me singing, it's guaranteed to get all the local cats howlin' !!

I enjoy myself though, so what the hey !! ....................... :sungum:

Here are my "axes" ............................

post-3897-0-98017100-1328831933.jpg

Rock On !!

Simon.

I've dabbled with playing guitars & basses for more years than I care to think about, though I've always had to work really hard at it to do any good, unlike many of my mates who are professional musicians, & seem to have had the 'gift' from day 1.. I also play a bit of blues harmonica, thanks to Ray Davies, who sat & gave me an hour's lesson after a gig one night long ago..

I had a 69 Le Paul custom, which I restored from a wreck.. (I'd just delivered a huge order of kits to W&H models, they'd paid me cash, & Denmark street was on the way back to the station...) Unfortunately, this went when both cars needed expensive repairs..

These days, I have an Epiphone SG, which I've hot-rodded with better pickups; A Korean Squier Strat, which I px'd my Fender for, as it sounded better; I also have a Guild CE-5 electro-accoustic, which is Les Paul sized & lovely..

I make myself a new instrument every now & again, the attached picture shows No.8, my most recent effort & the best so far..

Next projects are a Status-style headless bass, a flame-top Les Paul, & a Firebird... (I've got some fantastic timber seasoning in the workshop..)

ebaypix.jpg

Bubinga body, bolt-on maple neck with rosewood fretboard. 4 pickups & some fancy switching....

Most of the music I love (and play) originated in the BR steam era.

I play guitar but know my limitations in technique so now play bass in a blues band and a rock’n’roll band. I play a Squier Jazz Bass through a 90s Peavey “Databass†combo (450W and Black Widow 15†but fits in a small car boot)

My guitars include a well worn Gordon Smith double cutaway GS2, a Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster and three Fender “Contemporary†guitars from 1985-87. This is a picture of my Fender System III Contemporary Strat. Japanese made, it has, as standard, two Schaller humbuckers, coil taps, lever locking nut, neck tilt mechanism, Floyd Rose style lockable vibrato with an arm which has two inbuilt allen keys for adjustments.

Archived