The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Debs.

My main instrument is the Trumpet. Unfortunately I've played a lot less since being at uni. My favourite style to play is Jazz but I have played with Brass Bands, Wind Bands and Orchestras. I've never really enjoyed playing in full orchestras as there are long periods with nothing to do.

I can also strum a chord on guitar and, in my mum's opinion, I 'strum' the piano... ie. I only really know how to play chords these days!

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone play the spoons?

Yup! Ask the lads from Barrow in Furness MRC........ I'm also a dab hand at the broom handle with bottle tops.

I used to be solo tenor horn at Slaidburn Silver Band over 30 years ago. William Rimmer's march "Slaidburn", which was our band signature piece, still stirs the blood. (It should be Slaidburn, not Sladeburn...........)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTmj9YRCNj0

Cheers,

Mick

With my parentage (Mum grade 8 pianist and percussionist; Dad jazz trumpet - he once played in a services touring band with Stan Tracey - and classical French horn) I should have been a better musician than I am. I got to Grade 4 'cello at school and sang in the choir, and for a while later played around with a Fender Jazz copy fretless bass wondering how Percy Jones managed it. I've still got Mum's piano but I'm just a 'listener' these days, albeit a wide range of music types.

• RMweb Premium

Guitar again, I'm afraid.

Started off playing dance band work with my dad, who was a full time pro musician, and graduated to a folk rock style band of the Steeleye/Fairport/Five Hand Reel type which was actually pretty good. I see that there is mention of the folk style harp, and I enjoy the work of Maire Ni Chathasiaig and CHris Newman in that genre, though I am nowhere near as good a guitarist as Chris.

I am now luck enough to own a few decent guitars - Ovation, Taylor, and a vintage Hofner.

• RMweb Premium

There is at least one regular RMWebber hiding a rather big light under his bushel here.....

I have seen him play guitar and was blown away!

I won't "out" him here in case he has chosen to keep quiet about it.

As for me, I have, after waiting many years, finally picked up my daughter's guitar and have learned a few chords but I will never be any more than a basic strummer and out of tune singer, purely for my own amusement.

Of course, if you put the celebrity musician/modellers together, now that would be a band! Who knows if messrs Daltrey/Stewart/Holland etc are RMwebbers under well disguised user names.........?

What do you call a guy who hangs around with musicians?

A drummer, Mea Culpa.

Been playing kit drums for 40 years, mainly rock of all types, pop at times and a bit of Jazz and Fusion which I always enjoy. Play mainly in my studio these days, my last live outing was in a scratch band playing at a small music festival organised by a friend in aid of charity.

Arthur

Old Chinese Proverb; If thine enemy offend thee, buy each of his children a drum! . :lol:

Known to squeak and toot on Tenor Sax and used warble on clarinet. I wouldn't describe either as PLAYING and I'm seriously out of practice. Only "performed" twice as stand in in a pub in Glasgow back in the '70s - was never invited back as I obviously made an impression.

I very rarely get the sax out these days and have lost the mouth for it. Still enjoy it and really should take up refresher lessons again - but time, encouragement, inclination and finding a suitable teacher seems near impossible. So it just sits in the corner gathering dust and the occasional polish.

• RMweb Premium

Bass. Used to play a 1964 Hofner Violin but sold it for £50! (a few years ago). One of the worst decisions of my life when you see what originals go for now.

I'd endorse that myself - I once saw the paperwork for the original sale of one of the world's most famous Hofner violins - probably THE most famous - when the owner of a music shop in Liverpool who was a client and sold my my Ovation brought it from his safe - signed by Mr McCartney as well, and with some interesting comments on it about trying to get the repayments back.

There is at least one regular RMWebber hiding a rather big light under his bushel here.....

Indeed, there are several - we debated this a couple of years ago, and we found that there are a number of talented musicians on here.

trumpet, guitar, and bagpipes

I once heard a wry, passing-comment (from a Scot.), directed at an itinerant`s strained attempts at playing the `pipes in an underpass:

W` nabody put poor-yon bestie away fram it`s suffrin` :laugh:

Strat XII modded with Fender HSS pickups and modern machine heads to replace those awful heads made without holes.

Been learning guitar since 1962; just beginning to get the hang of it ....as my bent, arthritic fingers start to get really painful...

Gave up the second band as I reasoned that modelling railways might last longer but with a February exhibition starting at 10 am some 120 miles away, I am beginning to wonder. Hit 'em up, move 'em out !

Acoustic guitar badly. I enjoy the lovely sound my 12 string gives (very flattering) when I can get the darned thing in tune. I don't know if an electronic tuner would help, but at the moment there are times whin I just can't get close and have to abandon the attempt and go back to 6 strings.

Ed

• RMweb Premium

Tanglewood Acoustic at Church mainly & I do a bit of singing there too.

My Gibson Les Paul Custom Copy and Ibanez Semi are purely decorative. Just restrung my really old g german built acoustic from way back and it now sounds nice and 'clangy'; good balance to the beautifully mellow Tanglewood.

Decided to start some 'proper' lessons just before Christmas and am still doing that. However it has demonstrated just how little I've done/progressed musically since 1966. Good discipline though.

My late dad played sax/clarinet as a 'dep' with Glenn Miller when he was here during the war. Pity I didn't inherit his musicianship!

Oh, I once sang Tenor in the Peers' Chorus in Iolanthe at a small theatre in Ewell many years ago - great fun.

P @ 36E

Guitar for me. A Gibson 2010 Custom shop reissue ES-355 with Bigsby. The only time in my life when I've gone completely mad with my hard earned cash. She is the most beautiful guitar in the world though! She is called Bernie in honour of Bernard Butler.

I play Bb Bass (Tuba) for Boarshurst Brass Band http://www.boarshurstband.co.uk/boarshurstband.co.uk/Home.html, based in the midst of true banding country, Saddleworth.

post-6679-0-92561100-1326656729.jpg

Not the easiest of instruments on marching jobs.

heres the band on U tube winning the 2011 Greenfield Whit Friday contest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl0yxs55538

Also been seen with a Strat in my hands from time to time!!

• RMweb Gold

Acoustic guitar badly. I enjoy the lovely sound my 12 string gives (very flattering) when I can get the darned thing in tune. I don't know if an electronic tuner would help, but at the moment there are times whin I just can't get close and have to abandon the attempt and go back to 6 strings.

Ed

I've never regretted buying an electronic tuner.

Me: classical, been trying to learn for about 18 years, but only made real progress in the last 4 after I started taking lessons. Well worth the time and money. I have a couple of acoustics, a lovely spanish that my wife bought me last year for my birthday, a Mexican Tele and a Traveller. I only play for my own amusement but I do enjoy it.

Guitar primarily, both acoustic and electric, with occasional gob-iron and keyboard, the latter mainly for arranging backing tracks.

Played in numerous bands and solo since I was at school and have been in a duo playing mainly hotels for most of the last two decades although I am now more or less retired.

HSB

Archived