The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Debs.

Hi,

Done the clubscene in the past + Shadows tribute stuff :-) Blues /Metal etc but mostly session work as a guitarist and my claim to fame as a guitarist for Gravy Train ( not the girly band of late ) look you tube early 70s rock gravy train.

I have since gone back to my roots doing Shadows stuff, using Fender 1978 stratocaster VoxAc30 - EFTP Magicstomp and Bioss ME5 for rock heavier music, I like the compressor on the Me5 alltho old hat.

If you type Peter Leyland into you tube, someone caught me doing a tame instrumental Las tres cerabellas, very tame for me :-)

cheers

Pete

• RMweb Gold

I play 2nd cornet for Rugeley Power Station Brass Band - been playing for 8 years and its great fun. We play for pleasure and don't do competitions.

Best banding/railway moment has been when we played for the Queen when she named 67029 'Royal Diamond' at Rugeley Trent Valley station a few years ago.

Never did the mineworkers though my last band, Woodfalls, has since been up there I think. Cheers

Dave

Woodfalls are there this weekend in the Championship Section Dave - results not till later this afternoon (it be on www.4barsrest.com,) all lower sections completed yesterday. I came home early due to not feeling well, something to do with excessive celebration after we won the 3rd Section.

• RMweb Premium

... I came home early due to not feeling well, something to do with excessive celebration after we won the 3rd Section.

Ah yes. Been there, done that, got the T shirt. Congrats on the win.

Looks like my old firm got 3rd overall and won the most entertaining band award. Probably be some sore heads in the morning...

Cheers

Dave

...An RMweb unplugged session now seems more than just a possibility for a (future) member`s day! :music:

It'd be one hell of a band. A great line up on guitars, keyboards, bass and drums; a fantastic brass section (with extra woodwinds!), we plug in the few unamplified instruments in the mix (electric accordion - whoa outtasite man, crazy like), electric violin for those Stephane Grappelli/Jean Luc Ponty moments and a completely insane frontman (and I'm sure I'll get nominated for that job, ask JohnDMU, Tim or ChrisF...)

All that's missing are the backing singers (as inspired by Robert Palmer....)

F

Hi Paul,

Well :-), if I had any credibility as a musician it has now gone for good, 'oh dear' I bet all the pensioners liked it, I will never be known as a rock guitarist ever again after that.

For your interest it was taken last year at my daughters boyfriends dads house, there just to do Shads numbers but sorry they didn't film me doing Apache or FBI :-)

Pete

• RMweb Gold

All that's needed now is for some daft s*d to suggest forming a band to make a charity record, rope in a music producer who also likes model railways, maybe a frontman with similar credentials and the selection of a suitable tune...

What tune/s would be apt, do you think ?

I played the guitar for 20 years in various bands (with various levels of talent!), in pubs, clubs etc. but never full-time. Still have my trusty 87 US Standard Strat (which I have trashed from new) and a Gordon Smith GS1, but aching wrists and forearms mean that they are used less and less nowadays. Great fun back in the day though!

Andy

• RMweb Gold

"The Rock Island Line" Huddie Ledbetter - I usually prefer the original but this second version by Lonnie Donegan with Rory Gallagher and Albert Lee is better:

Play Loud!

Best, Pete.

Great one there Pete. Haven't heard that version before. Two late greats and Albert Lee as well!

The LD original and 'Cumberland Gap' were the records that got my interest in playing when I was a kid.

Well found, thanks.

Great thread, I was a grade 5 violinist but gave it up to learn Bass Guitar which I have played for 26 years now. Played in a few pop/rock bands, gigging in the 80's London scene, Dublin Castle, Rock Garden, Half Moon, George Robey and all that stuff. Had a bit or record company interest but not enough - don't think we were hungry enough! Played support to JTQ, Roachford, The Commodores, and a few other mid sized bands over the years.

I now play Jazz and 70's funk with a bunch of great mates mainly for fun but we do a few gigs every so often. We try to stretch ourselves musically and I am currently battling the bass lines of the Motown session bass greats, James Jameson and TM Stevens. I am also influenced by Mark King, Victor Wooten, Jaco (of course), Marcus Miller and Stanley Clarke.

My 13 yr old daughter is grade 5 Piano and Clarinet and my 10 yr old son is grade 2 guitar and grade 4 piano. They both got distinctions at Piano and I am so pleased they have a love for music. Don't care if they take it further just want them to have it in their skill set.

Signore Trisonic, le piace la chitarra SG? Me too, I managed to obtain the Gibson Pete Townshend SG model with the wraparound bridge as a birthday present (but I'll be d*****d if I'm going to put the neck through a HiWatt or Sound City Speaker Cab :smoke: ). although to be honest I find the SG to be neck heavy and uncomfortable to play sitting down.

I had a Gibson Les Paul (in pic below) but sold/part exchanged it as I found it much too heavy (I got the David Gilmour Strat instead [not shown]). The strat next to the Les Paul is my "Fatcaster" - it's a maple neck strat which I built from a kit and added Fender 69 pickups to it. Plays beautifully (but nothing like the Gilmour model strat - lovely, lovely guitar)

post-123-0-33796600-1327531006.jpg

The Epiphone I upgraded with new pots and Seymour Duncan Jazz pickups (but I really need to replace those machine heads)

post-123-0-01821300-1327531213.jpg

I also have a nice 12 String acoustic somewhare. But the best guitar I've ever had was a cheap Fender DG28 acoustic, it was basically plywood. I never took much care of it, just chucking it in a corner when I was finished playing with it, but it never warped or went out of tune. The only thing I had to do whenever I picked up this guitar was wipe off the dust with a slightly damp cloth and start playing. It was sold on when Mrs iD insisted on me downsizing my collection.

As you may have gathered, I went a bit crazy when I picked up the guitar again at a time I was able to indulge in myself without much fininacial or domestic restrictions - I went and bought all the gear I had ever dreamt about since I was about 14.

Alas, my playing now has dwindled almost to nothing... (and I exchanged rock, blues and jazz for locos, layouts and model building)

F

Well, my SG's are not as bad as the Flying V! I love SG's they really "bark" through Marshall stacks.

I always tell beginners (if they ask) to always practice guitar standing up I know of only one pro who plays on stage sitting down.

Anyone care to guess who it is? He is an American and played in at least two A-List rock bands....

Btw the Daphne Blue "Strat" is actually a handcrafted masterpiece by Master Luthier Bill Chapin to true Gibson Scale Length. Lightweight Ash Body (one piece), Korina neck - with profile from a '59 Les Paul Jnr and fifty year old Braz' rosewood 'board. Amazing piece!

Best, Pete.

Does anyone remember the advert from the early 70s were the scene is a teenager in the careers office and when asked what he wants to be he goes into dreamland and replies ' I want to be a rock star ' .

I can remember my mate very vividly telling the carreers officer the same line and she went balistic and threatened to stop his benefit at the time for wasting her time but he was serious, :-)

Peter

• RMweb Gold

I always tell beginners (if they ask) to always practice guitar standing up I know of only one pro who plays on stage sitting down.

Anyone care to guess who it is? He is an American and played in at least two A-List rock bands....

Best, Pete.

I was going to guess Jorma Kaukonen.

Archived