Which "Re-Creation" Would Be The Biggest Crowd-Puller?

So arguably, if we don't take "recreation" to mean "new build" there must be plenty of scenes that could be recreated which could draw a crowd. You could also argue the GCR's travelling post office is a candidate for that, perhaps.

In that case, T9, Caledonian Single, Compound and Jones goods all out double heading again! Colours, vintage and always 2 engines for the price of one!

Stepney (and Birch Grove) back on the mainline would also cause a stir! Brighton to Horsted Keynes via Haywards Heath anyone?

• RMweb Premium

And from a boy's toys perspective there's only ONE contender: KESTREL

I would love to see a replica Kestrel as well - just remember to use aluminium where possible to keep the weight down!

If blue is the best colour to catch the attention of the public, what about a Caledonian Railway 956 class 4-6-0. Beautiful pale blue with maroon/brown footplate & the royal crest on the tender. :sungum: The 3 cylinder valve gear would not be a problem to get right nowadays.

Lovely big model in Glasgow Transport Museum too :)

Duncan

Guest Max Stafford

Speaking of which, a Dunalistair (choice of four main variants) would be a bit of a heritage line show-stopper. You can't beat a bit of blue.

Dave.

Speaking of which, a Dunalistair (choice of four main variants) would be a bit of a heritage line show-stopper. You can't beat a bit of blue.

Dave.

It may not be running, or easy of access, but there of course is a very close approximation preserved in Belgium. Fancy bringing it over?

Guest Max Stafford

It may not be running, or easy of access, but there of course is a very close approximation preserved in Belgium. Fancy bringing it over?

Didn't the horrible gets chop it up in 1998?

Dave.

In that case, T9, Caledonian Single, Compound and Jones goods all out double heading again! Colours, vintage and always 2 engines for the price of one!

I would love to see the Caley single steam on the mainline. Never saw it first time around - what a sight it would be!

Same for the compound and Jones goods. The T9 in its LSWR pseudo form would be rather compelling too.

But there's one engine for me I would give anything to see steam. GNR no.1 - the Stirling Single. With suitable carriages behind it, and its "new" (original) tender in tow, it would look truly magnificent.

Stepney (and Birch Grove) back on the mainline would also cause a stir! Brighton to Horsted Keynes via Haywards Heath anyone?

I rather like that idea - extremely unlikely in this day and age, but I like it...!

The T9 in its LSWR pseudo form would be rather compelling too.

Funny - that's what we wanted to do at Swanage 20 years ago, but the NRM were dead set against it, as it wouldn't be prototypical - it was rebuilt after grouping, but now I hear they've changed their minds, no pleasing some people.

Funny - that's what we wanted to do at Swanage 20 years ago, but the NRM were dead set against it, as it wouldn't be prototypical - it was rebuilt after grouping, but now I hear they've changed their minds, no pleasing some people.

Different people in charge, I suspect Paul - Steve Davies has been quoted as saying he'd like to put Scotsman in single chimney form and in express passenger blue in its first decade of operation.

Now THAT I would pay to see. First time in preservation 60103 will have appeared in blue!

Didn't the horrible gets chop it up in 1998?

Dave.

No, ITYF that was a MacIntosh 0-6-0, similar to those designed for the Caley. Thankfully there are other "preserved" examples that have escaped the torch.

I was referring to the 4-4-0 that is now in the "museum store" at Leuven (I think), formerly on display at Treignes.

Experience with recent rebuilds and new construction (narrow and standard gauge) suggests that many shortcomings in the original are due to poor workmanship or simply not following the drawings. With modern technology and a few minor tweaks, I suspect many relative failures could be made to work much more reliably and efficiently.

And a dose of wishful thinking from preservationists helps as well. Fortunately Gresley et al. didn't have to source the boilers from Germany. :mosking:

Different people in charge, I suspect Paul - Steve Davies has been quoted as saying he'd like to put Scotsman in single chimney form and in express passenger blue in its first decade of operation.

Now THAT I would pay to see. First time in preservation 60103 will have appeared in blue!

Will they stick a face on the front and call it Gordon?

class 22/41 warship or falcon as nether got to see these and a mosquito fighter bomber in the air again.Twin maybachs and twin merlins. Music.

richard.

Of that lot I'd go for the Mossy, it begs the question- I wonder how many Stug 3's got busted by Mossy's - sorry going OT.

For a big crowd puller I would go for a Webb double single too, in Diamond Jubilee livery. My favourite little Armstrong Goods would not pull the crowds, but perhaps it could give the Compound a shove to ensure that that sets of drivers were going in the right direction!

Both these engines would be quite cheap to build too, without all the expensive extras such as superheating, mechanical lubrication and bogies

Guest Natalie Graham

How about George Bennie's Railplane? I could see that drawing a crowd. Build it a double track over the WCML and you could do away with the need for HS2 as well. ;)

Archived