Which "Re-Creation" Would Be The Biggest Crowd-Puller?

Guest Belgian

No one but me would want to see this, but a replica 60500, Edward Thompson, thus filling the last "missing link" in terms of LNER CME designed Pacifics. Of course, there's three other classes needed to complete the lineup...!

I think your post #5 was nearer the mark Simon! The original Gresley 'Cock o'the North' was surely the most beautiful British steam locomotive and has the greatest 'wow' factor of all.

JE

With two different groups proposing P2 replicas would it not make sense if they pooled their resources and made one engine that could be converted to run with either the Bugatti front or the original front? It would be cheaper than two complete engines would it not?

Not really...there are some things that may be ordered together. Two different locomotives in some respects - one British caprotti, one walschaerts. One Bugatti, one with deflectors.

I think two P2s, done well, could both be sustained in the Railtour market. Such different looking and both powerful machines - the superior adhesion and high speed running factor would make them more comfortable with section to section timings, one would think.

The railtour market can easily sustain 2 P2's. As things stand, the A1SLT trust may decide against a P2 for something else. That being said, all projects should be supported by us, we should avoid the temptation to 'rubbish' any proposals.

A modern day 'Hush Hush' sounds like just the ticket. Gresley wasn't far off getting her right, surely some modern engineering techniques would sort the poor steaming issues. Even the later 60700 would be interesting, with potential for the addition of an auto-stoker. I'm led to believe the rebuilt 10000 was expected to be a test bed for such a modification, until Mr Hitler stuck his nose in of course.

Evening All.

From an Enthusiasts point of view how about the Prototype locos 10000 and 10001 as these NEVER got saved ( Pitty really)

and from a crowd puller point of view as many have said on here the stunning P2 with orginal Teak coaches for the Beast to pull

just think about this has now made shake with excitment :senile:

Oh well back to the real world

Cheers

AndyT

Guest Belgian

What's that Simon? The things only had / will have 6'2" drivers so not that high speed surely?

The Bulleid Pacifics had 6' 2" drivers, the Brits and the DoG had 6' 2" drivers and none of those were sluggards. It's all down to the valve events and cylinder design, not the size of the drivers. (Anyway, a driver who was less than 6' could still drive as quickly as a taller one - I'll get me 'at . . .)

JE

• RMweb Gold

The Bulleid Pacifics had 6' 2" drivers, the Brits and the DoG had 6' 2" drivers and none of those were sluggards. It's all down to the valve events and cylinder design, not the size of the drivers. (Anyway, a driver who was less than 6' could still drive as quickly as a taller one - I'll get me 'at . . .)

JE

Not talking about 'then', talking about now and what they are allowed to do.

Guest Max Stafford

A Reid Atlantic would be nice, but for heritage line use, I'd settle for a J37.

Simon's Thompson idea would be a good yin too!

Had I a blank cheque I would give consideration to doing Great Northern in all her midnight blue, cropped cab 1945 glory.

My only concession would be to give her the 1946 number in plain Gill Sans just to emphasise the no-frills nature of the loco in this form!

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

After doing a bit of track spreading in Scotland, I wonder if one will be rebuilt into a Thompson Pacific.... :D

Wash yer mouth out! :nono:

The A1 trust reckon they know what caused the problems and also what to do to correct them but a comment like that, even in jest, well..................it nearly made me drop my chocolate biccy! ;)

I would love to see a P2 in original form but perhaps even higher on my list would be a GCR Robinson Atlantic. There are enough GCR carriages undergoing restoration to be able to recreate a full GCR train and of course there is a suitable preserved section of GCR main line to run them on. What a thought.

I did see the GNR single running at Loughborough around 30 years ago and it was a beautiful sight to see but somehow the Mark 1 carriages didn't quite finish off the scene.

• RMweb Premium

JE

And Riddles 9Fs only had 5'0" drivers...

Don't forget steam engine technology improved such that early "high speed" (relatively!) locos needed 8 or 9 foot drivers.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Bl*e P*llm*n maybe?

Oops - misread the OP - full-size, not model.......... :D

I can see this thread turning into a full-size wishlist frothfest.........................

Cheers,

Mick

Is it just me - or does anyone else have absolutely no interest in a P2 - an oddball blind alley, and a rather ugly one at that.

If one is looking at crowd pullers how about an L&LSR 4-8-0 or 4-8-4T - these would literally be crowd pullers, given that the Irish 3'-0" preservation scene is somewhat light on locos... as well as the only locos of this wheel arrangement to run on these isles.

If one looks at what would be historically most interesting - how about filling the obvious gaps in what we have: a standard gauge Stephenson Patentee, a DX goods (the most numerous British loco class but no survivors - although I believe that there is one at the bottom of the North Sea somewhere - what a story that would make!), or one of the railways which are unrepresented in preservation, notably the LCDR, where the Bluebell are restoring a set of (mainly) LCDR coaches.

I think for the biggest visual impact a Beyer-Garret would be hard to out-do!

There are large Beyer-Garratt locomotives outside the UK, though I don't know how many are in operating condition right now.

The QGR No. 1009 (3'6" gauge") was running in the late 1990s but is back as a static exhibit today. I don't think it's boiler ticket has expired (maybe it has) but I'm guessing that there isn't the funds or motivation to get it back on the line.

It's an impressive beastie but I don't know that it draws more of a crowd than the other QGR heritage locomotives.

Guest Natalie Graham

Well considering some of the suggestions I'd put to you ---- - Holden's Decapod :sungum: .

Funny, I just looked into this thread to suggest that one.

Archived