Which "Re-Creation" Would Be The Biggest Crowd-Puller?

I reckon that a replica Cock o'the North would out-do Tornado. I gather that two groups are thinking along these lines. including the Tornado people. I think it would need the cam valve gear for the enthusiasts, but the earlier front end-the streamlined front would look too much like another A4 in the eyes of the "general public".

Your thoughts?

Ed

Like Jeff I feel that something older might be a real crowd puller. Maybe a single of some kind. http://en.wikipedia..../GWR_3031_Class

Technically, we do have one of those already...! :jester: In 12 inches to the foot scale, no less. I'll accept it's not a working replica, but it is a replica single, nevertheless!

The P2 Study from the A1 Trust comes back soon. The general ideas for proposed Gresley P2 no.2007 can be found here.

Personally speaking, I don't think Tornado's appeal will never go away - it being the first new build for the British national network.

But does a Gresley P2 have that X-factor? You bet it does. The biggest mainline steam locomotive on the national network, combined with the engineering behind Tornado? If they overcome the wheelbase obstacles then there's no doubt it would be successful.

The other group, the DP2LT have their website here - they want to recreate no.2001 Cock O' The North, albeit with the streamlined front end and walschaerts valve gear.

• RMweb Gold

I think a single would be a great idea - and one that doesn't exist in preserved form and sensibly would be a very late 19th/early 20th century version. Thinking how an outside frame 4 coupled loco looks when moving there would definitely be some rather different magic in watching a single - and a bit more 'network friendly' than the two broad gauge examples of course..

• RMweb Gold

Picture not included - seeing it once was bad enough!!!!i

Well everybody keeps asking for 0-6-0s in the model world so i suppose a full size one wouldn't be too much to ask for. But I reckon a 4-4-4-4 would be a bit of a F***ure to be honest, even one that actually looked like a railway engine instead of a mobile iron foundry.

Hush Hush in its original guise, if we're going for 'money no object' crowdpullers.

Reading the William Brown book on the W1 really does reveal an astonishing amount of innovation, forethought and development of design in Gresley's work.

The fact that the W1 was designed, not to be the most powerful - an assumption I had wrongly made for many years - but to be more fuel efficient, and this it succeeded at after careful and logical modifications, including the kylchap blastpipe (but before the cowl was fitted over the front end), making it the equal of an A3 but with lower overall water and coal consumption, has to be a credit to Gresley's design team and the great man himself.

The problem, as perhaps could be seen in a more extreme example of innovation, Bulleid's Leader - changing circumstances dictated the way things were going, and 10,000 was rebuilt as the most powerful conventional express passenger locomotive in this country (and seems to have been severely underrated in railway history as 60700). William Brown's book sheds a lot of light on the hows and whys, and in my opinion, a replica W1 complete with water tube boiler, but with full walschaerts valve gear on each cylinder, could prove Gresley's original vision whilst also echoing Chapelon's success with his compounds thereafter.

That, and in a changing climate and attitude to fuel consumption, a more fuel efficient locomotive which can match the performance of a Gresley A3 in this day and age on the national network would surely be of some great benefit for railtours in the future?

Not to mention as you rightly say, the unique and eye catching shapes and livery of the original 10,000.

Well everybody keeps asking for 0-6-0s in the model world so i suppose a full size one wouldn't be too much to ask for. But I reckon a 4-4-4-4 would be a bit of a F***ure to be honest, even one that actually looked like a railway engine instead of a mobile iron foundry.

Which letters fell off this post? I'm trying and failing to fill in the missing letters with something rude. Perhaps I've led a sheltered life.

Looks like you've already done it (look very carefully at 'Chard's original post - the whole thing, not just the text)

Also looks like I need to brush up on my smiley usage when I'm felling/failing to be funny.

Back vaguely on-topic, would there be the expertise to design a new steam loco from scratch? i.e. not a replica/re-creation, but a state-of-the-art creation. I'd guess it was technically possible, but from a "marketing" viewpoint wouldn't be as attractive.

• RMweb Gold

Also looks like I need to brush up on my smiley usage when I'm felling/failing to be funny.

Back vaguely on-topic, would there be the expertise to design a new steam loco from scratch? i.e. not a replica/re-creation, but a state-of-the-art creation. I'd guess it was technically possible, but from a "marketing" viewpoint wouldn't be as attractive.

Message now understood - must be my age (or not being much of a morning person) :blush: .

As far as 'new' is concerned the 5AT project has been knocking around for some years and while not entirely new is fairly radical, and has never attracted the necessary support needed to start cutting metal. I think in fact we're dangerously close to the nostalgia thread with this one in that we're hankering after something which we never saw and would like to or which created an impression we would like to see renewed/recreated. So in that way I don't think a totally new loco would have the public appeal of a recreation of something that looks like 'history' but has been subtly updated for practical operational purposes.

We have two singles-the Rocket replica and the Stirling no1 which was working a few years ago. I suspect that a Garrett would not be fast enough to work on the main line.

I agree about Hush Hush and the Turbo, but don't thik either would have the impact of the P2.

Ed

800px-Derby_works_fell_diesel_geograph-2390424-by-Ben-Brooksbank.jpg

I think you need a dedicated 'Fell' button so you can put this in as often as necessary with a single click :locomotive:

Don't forget the Bluebell Railway are recreating a LB&SCR H2 class (Brighton Atlantic) Beachy Head using a few salvaged parts from the original prototypes.

Indeed - and after that I believe the plan is to do a Brighton K 2-6-0.

I would go some distance to see ornate pre-Grouping liveries in action - along the lines of the 'Scottish 4' from the 1960s for instance. Stroudley's 'Gladstone' (I presume the one in the NMR is beyond economic restoration to operating condition?). Or a BIG tank engine (4-6-2T or 4-6-4T) - take that Thomas!

• RMweb Gold

Are we talking 'enthusiast' crowd puller or general public crowd puller here?

If you want to pull in the general public then you will have to have a publicity machine backing it a la Tornado. It will be no good simply trumpeting the fact that 'this loco was the first one to run on the Cluggington and Wishwell Light Railway in 1863.'

That might be important to 5 people which, of course, depending on those 5 people could seem like a crowd.....

If it's the general public that you want to attract, the technical details and historical importance are irrelevant. It just needs to be big and brightly coloured.

Does that also apply to "enthusiasts"? If not, then something different to the normal preserved examples would be my choice. Clearly something from the LNWR, such as a George V or a Teutonic, would tick the box for me. However, we are getting into personal preferences, so we know where that'll lead :nono:

Jol

Archived