Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Ebay buyer protection policy can favour dishonest buyers.

As a buyer I put a claim (I wanted to keep and repair the item) into the Royal Mail for a damaged item, no problems the seller sent me a copy of the proof of postage, and I think I could have made a claim if it had been lost.

Pity Amazon do not work as quickly as Ebay / Paypal with their "Market place" I was given the impression they were more worried about making commission from sales than protecting their customers, but I may be wrong.

My story is that I sold a Bachmann Class 66 some years back now, it was in full working order as I tested it prior to sending.

The item was sent via RM Special Delivery as I always do, Item recieved positive feedback left a day or two later.

However about two weeks later the buyer emailed me via ebay and stated that the model was damaged and wasnt working, dispite stating in feedback something along the lines of excellent model as decribed.

Knowing full well this was incorrect, I refused to refund the buyer his money or take the model back as a return. The buyer opened a Paypal claim, and the final bid value was deducted from my paypal account.

Paypal asked me via their appeals process what my side of the story was, and to provide evidence that I was telling the truth. Which I did without delay.

Paypal of course sided with the buyer, and told them to send the model back with a tracking number to me. Once he provided the tracking number they would refund his money into his account and deduct the funds from mine.

A few days later at about 7am there is a knock at the door, as Ive just come in from work at 4am Im a tad knackered so sign for the model sized/weight parcel Im expecting and go back to bed.

Later on that afternoon I decided to have a look at this damage to my now returned model. I open the brown parcel box and to my horror Im confronted with a coca cola bottle filled with garden stones!

Of course, Im straight onto the phone via the premium rate number to Paypal. Who of course make you wait for 20 minutes before speaking to someone in India who 'understands your problem, and will resolve any issues right away' !

They didnt give a monkeys, nor did they understand the issue at hand. The only thing they said was report the matter to the police then fax Paypal the police report.

So I pop along to my not so local police station and report my loss. They were good to be fair, and recorded the incident as a theift and deception case. I had all the address details and a contact number of the buyer to.

A crime report number was issued and faxed to Paypal later that day. After at least five phone calls and over a week later paypal finally refunded my balance to the stolen amount. However the police decided that there wasnt enough evidence to continue with any kind of action againest this person.

Seller beware!

Great Western.

Guest baldrick25

Surely , from a 'police' point of view , check the coke bottle for a single fingerprint of the buyer , or DNA around the cap. Either would prove undeniable evidence of crimes worth persuing.

From a Paypal point of view, a County Court action might bring a result quickly.

As this weekend was a free listing weekend on ebay I thought of listing some surplus railway but thinking of the hassle and fees decided against it.

It can stay in the loft or be given to a charity shop. My grandsons are still at the toy Thomas stage. Before I joined ebay I put a load of mint boxed Dublo coaches in the wheely bin after taking them to a few toy sales without getting any interest. Now that Dublo 3-rail is worth about 3 quid a coach, even near mint boxed, I may do that again.

Most likely about to come across this myself now.

Sold an IC 225 with 91, DVT, 3 x Mark 4 TSOs, 1 x Mark 4 Fo.

Description fully stated items damage and that it was untested.

Buyer recieved item, first saying it wasnt working (never said it was) then another saying things about wires being disconnected, and believes the item was mis-sold, in which it wasnt.

Now this morning he has opened a disbute claim for a full refund, which i am refusing to do, as it was sold as describe, and apart from a non payment (that i have launched a non payment claim for)

Those are the only two problems i've had on ebay. For the item, most likely buyer will get their money back reading the other comments here, and if manage to get the item back will only be relisted again at a lose to mw.

Chris

Most likely about to come across this myself now.

Sold an IC 225 with 91, DVT, 3 x Mark 4 TSOs, 1 x Mark 4 Fo.

Description fully stated items damage and that it was untested.

Buyer recieved item, first saying it wasnt working (never said it was) then another saying things about wires being disconnected, and believes the item was mis-sold, in which it wasnt.

Now this morning he has opened a disbute claim for a full refund, which i am refusing to do, as it was sold as describe, and apart from a non payment (that i have launched a non payment claim for)

Those are the only two problems i've had on ebay. For the item, most likely buyer will get their money back reading the other comments here, and if manage to get the item back will only be relisted again at a lose to mw.

Chris

Ask him to send it back BEFORE you issue a refund. I did this and surprise suprise no more problems

Ask him to send it back BEFORE you issue a refund. I did this and surprise suprise no more problems

If i do issue i refund i will do that as don't want to be stun. But at the present moment i am refusing to do so as it was sold as is condition. Now the person has sent another message saying others have gone for similar price working, and Untested 'apparnty' means working to him :/

In other news got the fees back from the person who Didn't pay for the Blue Pullman, and he is no longer a registered user.

Chris

If i do issue i refund i will do that as don't want to be stun. But at the present moment i am refusing to do so as it was sold as is condition. Now the person has sent another message saying others have gone for similar price working, and Untested 'apparnty' means working to him :/

In other news got the fees back from the person who Didn't pay for the Blue Pullman, and he is no longer a registered user.

Chris

You have to state that the item be returned BEFORE you give a refund. I would do it as a matter of principle. You won`t get stun

You have to state that the item be returned BEFORE you give a refund. I would do it as a matter of principle. You won`t get stun

Present moment i am waiting for the exact problems that is currently being had with the model, before i continue honestly.

Will see what the reply is tomorrow and then decide really.

Chris

Later on that afternoon I decided to have a look at this damage to my now returned model. I open the brown parcel box and to my horror Im confronted with a coca cola bottle filled with garden stones!

Of course, you now know his address. If I were you, I'd work on the principle that he might like his bottle full of stones back, preferably posted through a closed window in the early hours...

I'm not advocating criminal activity, of course, not really, but that kind of tale does make my blood boil. I may be hopelessly naive, but I can't comprehend how some people have the sheer nerve to rip off others in such a scummy way.

Guest 40-something

I (not so) recently took delivery of an model sold by a very well known seller/shop on eBay, listed as in very good condition, dcc fitted, detail parts in bag, fully working. Turned up with no detail parts and a fried chip. I emailed the seller to explain this to be told that the parts where in the box, and the loco was working under DCC. Back and forth emails eventually had the sellers saying the parts where fitted to the model (clearly not as per the listing photos) and that the model wasnt DCC fitted, despite the address being given in the description and a chip hardwired in place! Also was told I should be grateful for getting the loco at the price I paid! I complained to ebay about it, who after doing whatever they do, painted me as a fraudster and sided with the seller, threatening to suspend my account.

Im currently trying to get a response and refund from paypal so I can return the item to the seller.

• 3 weeks later...

Re: Previous Issue.

Ebay found it in the Buyers favour and he returned it 'just' within the 10 day window you are given.

Checked it this morning when it arrived. The Wire to the rear pick up bogie was unplugged and the main issue was the resistor that had a snapped wire. So resolded that and the pick up wire to the connector it has and it works fine (A bit fussy but works)

Chris

the bottle of stones episode is beyond belief. as Steve K said I would have been knocking on his door to return his pebbles.

sometimes you can bend over backwards for some people on ebay and they still twist the knife with leaving unnecessary feedback. i do think people can be a bit too quick off the mark and sometimes vindictive knowing that youve gone out of your way to appease them and put right a situation.

i remember sending out 2 coaches once to 2 buyers but got the packages mixed up so each buyer got a coach just the wrong one.

both coaches were returned and then sent out correctly - to one buyer it was not sweat, water off a ducks back and he left me good feedback (id corrected my error quickly and at no extra cost to the buyer just a slight delay in getting them the correct coach - is that such a big deal?)

my other buyer felt the need to have his 15 seconds of fame and leave me unflattering neutral feedback and it left me feeling a bit sore. you do your best and thats not enough all for a simple mistake that any of us can make. I blame this growing sort of behaviour on the anonymity afforded by the internet.

Had that been a shop situation we would have had a laugh about it and just shook hands. The one buyer with the wrong coach wouldnt have handed it back and then said sorry I dont want to buy a coach off you now because of your ineptitude in mixing up the coaches - it just wouldnt happen.

About once every 12 months i get a joker on ebay who wants to play me. Its just a fact of life that at some point we all get driven up the wall by somebody on ebay. people who treat your listing as subjective ie; they interpret it how they want to not how it actually reads and that does infuriate me because 9 times out of 10 ebay side with buyers.

I had one guy who bought some brake discs off me last year. in the advert I stated that i could also supply matching brake pads for an extra £20.

anyway he sent me a message under the heading "item not as described" saying thanks for the discs but the pads are missing. he didnt request them or pay the extra but he had read the listing as them being part of the "item". there are a few buyers out there that either genuinely cannot read and/or understand what they have read or choose the selective reading option or add in things that are a figment of their imagination.

after I replied to the guy explaining the situation he left me hanging for over 2 weeks with no reply but then left me positive feedback. its one of those situations where you just dont know where you stand. he didnt reply saying OK my fault for misreading your listing.

its all very faceless but thats perhaps the price you pay for its convenience and wide captive audience.

there is an increasining number of late payers on ebay.

" " " " people on ebay who never leave you feedback.

Guest 40-something

I (not so) recently took delivery of an model sold by a very well known seller/shop on eBay, listed as in very good condition, dcc fitted, detail parts in bag, fully working. Turned up with no detail parts and a fried chip. I emailed the seller to explain this to be told that the parts where in the box, and the loco was working under DCC. Back and forth emails eventually had the sellers saying the parts where fitted to the model (clearly not as per the listing photos) and that the model wasnt DCC fitted, despite the address being given in the description and a chip hardwired in place! Also was told I should be grateful for getting the loco at the price I paid! I complained to ebay about it, who after doing whatever they do, painted me as a fraudster and sided with the seller, threatening to suspend my account.

Im currently trying to get a response and refund from paypal so I can return the item to the seller.

Finally got a response from Paypal, and a full refund! I've emailed the seller for a return address so i can return the item.

Archived