Wrong way running - Great Railway Journeys

gordon s

• RMweb Gold

interesting. At 2:38 there is a good shot of a two-car unit running 'wrong road'. Te signals i think give it away - the arms point the wrong way! Ive never seen a modern BR(W) signal with the arm pointing to the right - so Id assume the film has been reversed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01b3903/Great_British_Railway_Journeys_Series_3_Hartlebury_to_Great_Malvern/

• RMweb Gold

Apart from the obvious give-away that the signals are the wrong way round, I can assure you that wrong-line running in that area would mean that there was some kind of a failure, incident or engineering work affecting the 'right' line and that Single Line Working had been introduced. With the intensity of service on that line, SLW is a pretty rare event up there these days.

• RMweb Gold

I am actually enjoying this series, apart from the eye-watering shirt/jacket colours & constant repetition of the phrase "My Bradshaw's says...."

I can't understand the logic/need for mirroring images - just seems completely bizarre & unnecessary, unless it's a deliberate ploy to wind us all up :lol:

The reversed images, lack of continuity- ie MP is speaking to camera on a class 150 then an HST is shown for example is all to common. I can put up just about with this lack of attention/ sloppy editing, it is the continual intrusive and totally un-necessary 'music' that accompanies every shot that is my main bug bear- to the extent that I have to turn the sound off and watch with subtitles. I really do not understand why there is a need to ruin perfectly good factual programmes with music at all- let the generally excellent camera work tell the story. I would not be too impressed if I was the cameraman(or the sound recordist either) that the editor/director had seemingly such little confidence in my shots that random musical tinkling is felt necessary.

On the whole this is an excellent series as per usual- it is nice to see railways getting a positive spin on the tele without the subject being totally derided. It has even achieved the unlikely scenario of making Mr Portillo seem like a nice bloke.

I've decided that (as 99% of TV output is frankly $hit) I'm prepared to overlook the negatives of this particular series, allow the railway element to settle into a contextual/ supporting role almost as a thread by which the series is strung together, sit back and relax with a bottle of something nice, a Siamese cat on my lap, and just enjoy...

On this occasion, I've decided to close the lid on my employment and my leisure involvement with trains to smile wryly at the slight quirkiness and quintessential Englishness that pervades so much of the programme. To watch it with my rail-dar switched on would be impossible.

So where this series is concerned I'm just a happy armchair punter, pleased that airtime is not occupied by slavish bowing and scraping to vacuous non-celebrities, or meaningless soap histrionics, opiate of the licence-paying masses.

I wonder how the reversed images occur? In the days of shooting on film stock, then the film might have been put into the tele-ciné machine the wrong way up; these days, I would have thought the 'filming' would be done using professional-quality video, and I can't see how that can be presented 'wrong-way-up' unless someone has decided to do some sort of curious editing.

I can't see how that can be presented 'wrong-way-up' unless someone has decided to do some sort of curious editing.

See Andy's post above. Presumably deliberate by some producer who thinks a track is better going top left to bottom right on the screen for some psychological reason rather than bottom left to top right. Cf how we read lines on a page, how we perceive shadows on drawings, that sort of thing.

It has even achieved the unlikely scenario of making Mr Portillo seem like a nice bloke.

He is actually a very nice bloke indeed, dont forget he pretty much save the Settle- Carlisle line single handedly by refusing to sign off on the closure notice despite getting grief from his paymasters.

To watch it with my rail-dar switched on would be impossible.

Excellent turn of phrase. Utterly excellent,

One thing that does impress in the show is the single-take introductions he does on the platform, starting talking with the train just visible in the distance and ending just as the doors open. I'm sure they didn't run the train back for take two, take three etc if he fluffed his lines.

Guest Belgian

The reversed images, lack of continuity- ie MP is speaking to camera on a class 150 then an HST is shown for example is all to common. I can put up just about with this lack of attention/ sloppy editing, it is the continual intrusive and totally un-necessary 'music' that accompanies every shot that is my main bug bear- to the extent that I have to turn the sound off and watch with subtitles. I really do not understand why there is a need to ruin perfectly good factual programmes with music at all- let the generally excellent camera work tell the story. I would not be too impressed if I was the cameraman(or the sound recordist either) that the editor/director had seemingly such little confidence in my shots that random musical tinkling is felt necessary.

On the whole this is an excellent series as per usual- it is nice to see railways getting a positive spin on the tele without the subject being totally derided. It has even achieved the unlikely scenario of making Mr Portillo seem like a nice bloke.

Sadly television is all about 'fashion' and editors slavishly follow the current trends else the commissioners throw it out. And 'music' everywhere is the current 'fashion'. It makes me grind my teeth . . .

JE

See Andy's post above. Presumably deliberate by some producer who thinks a track is better going top left to bottom right on the screen for some psychological reason rather than bottom left to top right. Cf how we read lines on a page, how we perceive shadows on drawings, that sort of thing.

If I understand you correctly Rod, the actual programme was the reverse of Andy's pic, so in the programme it did run from bottom left to top right.

I have no axe to grind with the programme at all, in fact I do enjoy it. My posting came from a curiousity perspective, not a complaint about the programme. With this one I tend just to sit back and relax.....or perhaps sub consciously I don't.... :O

If I understand you correctly Rod, the actual programme was the reverse of Andy's pic, so in the programme it did run from bottom left to top right.

You're right Gordon of course - doh! I do enjoy the programme by the way!

Another enjoyable 30 minutes, but wasn't that an LNER 2-8-0 on the coal train when they were talking about Chepstow?

S'pose it makes it easier for all those GWR fans who were desperate to order a Hornby 01. I knew you guys would see the light sooner or later.... B)

yes its a laugh watching the series, the last quote last night about continuing his journey in Wales was while he was traversing Oxfordshire....flipped film, arriving on a different train than one he departed on, single track going to 4 track mainline then back again, train going westbound then showing one going east, all adds to the fun, its an interesting program though...TC

There seemed to be quite a lot of 'recycling' of aerial shots- the one for the Brecon Mountain Railway was used at least three times.

I was interested to see the archive shot of a saddle tank with wooden-bodied coal wagons; the first one being an Evans Bevan, still with most of its livery discernable, but carrying a 'P' number.

I wonder what'll be in tonight's programme?

"Would the BBC put out an item on Top Gear with the images "flipped" so that all the road signs are wrong and the cars drive on the wrong side of the road?"

Would anyone care....

Enjoying this series and quite impressed by some of the archive footage. To me the continuity, or lack of, just adds to the fun. You can't imagine any other country making something similar.

Stu

Would the BBC put out an item on Top Gear with the images "flipped" so that all the road signs are wrong and the cars drive on the wrong side of the road?

Probably as they have done similar tricks in the past to tell a story.

Several series ago they took a road trip with a Ferrari, Zonda and GT40 "from London to the Millau Viaduct" in the South of France, if they were heading south how many people noticed that the sunrise was in the West and the sunset in the East? Whereas what actually happened was they started at Millau and filmed the trip going North, they then bust the Zonda at Paris so didn't have any footage of the Zonda in London, hence some c**k and b**l story about it being delayed and joining them at Paris.

• RMweb Gold

Another enjoyable 30 minutes, but wasn't that an LNER 2-8-0 on the coal train when they were talking about Chepstow?

S'pose it makes it easier for all those GWR fans who were desperate to order a Hornby 01. I knew you guys would see the light sooner or later.... B)

:lol: :lol: :lol: ((O1, what a lark - when there are supposed to be plenty of proper engines with proper safety valve covers appearing later this year I'm definitely not heading for one of those, and I can have a decent looking O4 conversion as well). But back to the OT and I did enjoy the bit on the Brecon Mountain Railway - where we were left with a distinct impression that the original line had also been narrow gauge (but I was delighted to here that they are still talking about extending beyond Pontsticill.

:lol: :lol: :lol: ((O1, what a lark - when there are supposed to be plenty of proper engines with proper safety valve covers appearing later this year I'm definitely not heading for one of those, and I can have a decent looking O4 conversion as well). But back to the OT and I did enjoy the bit on the Brecon Mountain Railway - where we were left with a distinct impression that the original line had also been narrow gauge (but I was delighted to here that they are still talking about extending beyond Pontsticill.

I think the line has been extended with the new trackwork laid and new platform built, the reason they don't use it is because apparently the current motive power isn't powerful enough. Once they have a second Baldwin working they'll doublehead trains on the new section.

Cheers,

Jack

Sadly television is all about 'fashion' and editors slavishly follow the current trends else the commissioners throw it out. And 'music' everywhere is the current 'fashion'. It makes me grind my teeth . . .

JE

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure, from being a "Points of View" viewer since Barry Took days, that there have been complaints about music since at least the early 80s. It's not a current fashion, it just "is the way people make documentaries". That isn't to defend its use, and particularly misuse, mind you.

I've also got a hunch that if you took the music off, many people would complain that it wasn't there, making, e.g., the show sound like it wasn't completed. Kind of, does anyone remember the BBC broadcasting "MASH", but using the US version (with laughter track) instead of the UK version (no laughter), and how utterly strange (and awful, to me) it felt - often causing complaints in the Radio Times. But, on the flip side to that, how many people really notice (or at least notice all the time) the studio laughter on British sit-coms? Wouldn't they be strange without the audience - even appear soulless? I think I recall canned/studio laughter causing PoV complaints as well, but it still happens, almost without exception, for most comedies

Archived