N Gauge - Train Length & Configuration

Hi all,

I'm currenlty loking at the Graham Farish Tornado Class A1 as a late Christmas present to myself but as I'm a newbie I'm also looking for advice on the correct(ish) number of carriages to run and I'm also at loss to what carriage to use (and what they are)

I've always like Chocolate and Cream so looking at the following;

374-014A Graham Farish BR MK1 SO Second Open Coach BR Chocolate & Cream (WR)

374-064A Graham Farish BR MK1 SK Corridor Second Coach BR Chocolate & Cream (WR)

374-189 Graham Farish BR MK1 BSK Coach BR Chocolate & Cream (WR)

374-189A Graham Farish BR MK1 BSK Coach BR Chocolate & Cream (WR)

374-256 Graham Farish BR MK1 CK Composite Corridor Coach BR Chocolate & Cream (WR)

374-256A Graham Farish BR MK1 CK Composite Corridor Coach BR Chocolate & Cream (WR)

I'm planing on a layout in a room 11'sq (loft layout going round the edges) so I'm hoping for a realistic rake of carriages.

But saying that has anybody got an idea how long the above train is and a average length of a carriage so that I can plan a long enough siding and station, as I'm not very mobile at the moment.

Cheers.

Michael

• RMweb Premium

When planning for coach lengths I always work to a rough guide of 6 inches per coach / loco. This gives you plenty of room even when working with MK3's

The most imoprtant thing to remember is that it is your layout and you can run what you like. Having said that a lot of people prefer to run accurate (or at least approximate) formations.

Those Mk1 Chocolate and cream coaches date from the late 50s - early 60s and were painted for the named expresses on the Western region. Tornado is a modern build of a design built for the LNER (later Eastern region). If you want to be accurate to the prototype then these do not go together either geographically or historically.

Railtours frequently use Maroon Mk1 coaches and these are available from farish. As Coldgunner correctly notres, Tornado does have a Maroon Mk1 first class brake coach.

If you like brown and cream coaches then one possibilty is the Farish Pullman coaches. Tornado has pulled rakes of these on more than one occasion.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/21381960

One thing you might want to add is a dummy diesel at the end of the train. Real railtours often have a diesel at the rear in case of brake-downs. Dapol produce a dummy class 67 which would be ideal and add a bit of interest to the train.

Just some ideas.

you're looking at a length of about 2.5 - 3 foot if my layout is anything to go by,

The board this photo is of, is 4ft long, there are 5 farish coaches and a farish Black 5, the board joint is about half a foot this side of the signal box, that and the turntable's space makes the 4th foot of the board.

the blog entry has more photos in and can be found here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/681/entry-7777-long-time-new-legs/

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=blogentry&attach_id=131863

The coach is currently a brake in maroon borrowed from another Loco whilst it is out of traffic, but the A1SLT have got another coach in the workshop at the moment.

Mk 1 Brake Corridor Composite (BCK) E21249

It will be painted in carmine and cream livery, once all of the restoration works have been completed. the A1SLT are hopeing to have it completed this year.

Alistair

Those Mk1 Chocolate and cream coaches date from the late 50s - early 60s and were painted for the named expresses on the Western region. Tornado is a modern build of a design built for the LNER (later Eastern region). If you want to be accurate to the prototype then these do not go together either geographically or historically.

Sorry to contradict you Matt, but chocolate and cream behind Tornado is absoloutely fine. Tours with Tornado are run by DB Schenker, who use the (ex?) Riviera Trains coaching stock, which was a mish mash of chocolate and cream, blue and cream, crimson and cream, green and maroon. However over the last year or so a lot more seems to be receiving repaints into chocolate and cream, giving a consistent look along the train. They also have a crimson and cream set.

IMG2140-XL.jpg

Tornado at Bath in December 2011, with maroon support coach, crimson and cream generator mk1 and a chocolate and cream set. I think the buffet was cromson and cream too. The DBS railtour stock is based at Eastleigh

To provide a train of maroon stock, it'd need to be a tour run by West Coast (WCRC). Tornado has worked this stock on the summer Sunday specials to Devon from Bristol, but this only happened a few times. The normal appearance is with a DB set, as I've said above

jo

Archived