LNER A6

mikemeg

A busy scene looking over the fence at shipyard bridge by Hessle Haven. Three of the four locos here are 69xxx. 69796, 69915 and 69003 and there is another A6, another T1 and an N10 to join the ranks of the 69xxx's. Focus on the farthest locos could be better.

Just a train spotter's delight, all those locos coming and going!

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-43107400-1407849879_thumb.jpg

Lovely Mike. Very nice seeing a J39 working in reverse. Was this something often done on the Hull line?

I posted some prewar NE locomotive photographs in Tony's thread yesterday. You have possibly seen them before, but they are rather nice.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/64295-wright-writes/?p=1547149

Thanks Tom. Yes, J39's often worked tender first, especially on the quarry trains, from Hessle chalk quarry to Hull Wilmington. I can well remember these workings with the J39 rattling through Hessle at quite a speed on a train of 21 ton hoppers, full of quarried limestone.

I've said, a few times, that this layout is by way of trying to re-create scenes now long gone; but isn't that what many of us seek to do. Big they were; dirty and noisy they certainly were and, oft times, unkempt they were. But they were lovely things!

Cheers

Mike

So just to prove that both sides of the loco are lined, this is the other side. All of the pictures which I have seen of A6's, in BR mixed traffic lined black, seem to lack any lining on the boiler bands, so this has been omitted. Of course, having said that, then a photo will turn up to disprove that assertion.

Anyway, now onto finishing the painting of the kit built A6 and the J73 and the N10, etc., etc.

And what is on the teak coaches, on the up main? Why something blue with a 600xx number and a wedge shaped front end!!

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-92631000-1408004344_thumb.jpg

Archived