LNER A6

mikemeg

I can only ever remember once seeing four trains passing under Hessle Haven shipyard bridge at the same time and I certainly can't remember what they were.

So before I take the A6 back to the workbench to complete it, I couldn't resist setting up a train (or at least light engines) on all four tracks.

There you go; that's how I motivate myself to continue with all of this stuff.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-16678200-1328008719.jpg

The front bogie has now been assembled and here is checked against the mainframe cut outs. Seems ok so now the bogie axleboxes and coil springs can be added. Now we have a 4-6-0; just the trailing radial axle to do to make it into a Pacific tank.

Tell you what, those Edwardian locomotive designers certainly knew a thing or two about designing very elegant locomotives; these things were almost perfectly proportioned.

Where'd that pink colour come from, on the background; the card backdrop is grey?

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-19413700-1328024847.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Tell you what, those Edwardian locomotive designers certainly knew a thing or two about designing very elegant locomotives; these things were almost perfectly proportioned.

Yes, beutifully proportioned, purposeful and powerful. They had it all.

Yes, beutifully proportioned, purposeful and powerful. They had it all.

Well they did when they had been rebuilt to 4-6-2's. I'm not sure that the original 4-6-0's, with their short bunkers, were quite so well proportioned.

Anyway, 'Worsdell forever' you're not exactly unbiased about things NER and about these particular locomotives but you're probably right. No, you're certainly right.

Cheers and regards

Mike

The front bogie has now been completed and its sprung pivot fitted. I still have to cut and adjust the spring so that it holds the bogie on the track but does not reduce the adhesive weight on the driving wheels. The rear radial axle has also now been made and trial fitted, again so that it moves freely and does not affect the adhesive weight.

So now we have a 4-6-2 tank.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-38036800-1328629371.jpg

I'm no NER modeller...

But I mean...

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ! :sungum:

It's only one up from the A5, Ian. You're a GC man aren't you? I once worked out that Hull was probably the only place on the old LNER where all the A's could be seen, though might take ten years to do it. A1's and A2's occasionally worked in; A3's certainly worked in, quite regularly and A4's could be seen on the odd occasion. A5's, A6's, A7's and A8's were all shedded in Hull during the 1950's but, again, not all concurrently.

There you go, today's useless fact.

Cheers

Mike

• RMweb Premium

there is some progress on my Etched brass kit for the A6. I have just recieved the invoice from the film people so the fims are now with the etchers. That should, with luck, take about four weeks. They are pretty busy these days. I will send a set to Mike are soon are they arrive so watch this space. Hopefully the errors of the first tests will have been eliminated.

The other good news is that the etcthes for the Q5//2 arrived today so I had better get the instructions finished and check that I have enough castings.

ArthurK

And of course not forgetting there was one named after the place, A2 2401 'City of Kingston upon Hull'.

One day, around the beginning of 1950, some of the shed staff in Dairycoates ventured into the darkest and innermost recesses of the old straight shed at Dairycoates; a place where few went and even fewer tarried, for no-one really knew what lurked in that dark, damp place!. Summoning up all of their bravery, there, to their enormous surprise and to the subsequent delight of a generation of railway enthusiasts, they found a Raven 4-6-2 languishing in the darkness. Fearful that any premature revelation of their discovery would alert Darlington to the possibility of acquiring another 125 tons of scrap steel and some non ferrous metals, they remained silent.

Gradually word of this find got out though only after a number of 'If only a Raven Pacific had survived' articles had appeared in the railway magazines of the day; this part of a carefully orchestrated campaign. So, perhaps later in 1950, this Raven Pacific - 2401 'City of Kingston upon Hull' will once more stand proudly at the head of a rake of varnished teak, resplendent in its pre-war LNER livery.

So where'd it go then? I guess Darlington must have caught up with it!

This same group of shed staff might even go back in there looking for Raven Atlantics - they might even find one!

Bouyed up by this incredible luck this same group, again in 1950, on a Sunday outing to Scarborough, (privilege tickets so they went free?) and faced with the quandry of what to do on a wet summer Sunday, with the pubs now closed, decided to visit Scarborough shed.

Wandering around the old roundhouse, they did it again, finding an NER Tenant almost completely shrouded in spiders webs and assorted grot. Only when their curiosity got the better of them and they removed some of this shrouding, did they realise what they had found, at which point the local shed foreman, eager to avoid any disclosure of the existence of this 'relic', swore them all to secrecy.

Cheers and regards

Mike

there is some progress on my Etched brass kit for the A6. I have just recieved the invoice from the film people so the fims are now with the etchers. That should, with luck, take about four weeks. They are pretty busy these days. I will send a set to Mike are soon are they arrive so watch this space. Hopefully the errors of the first tests will have been eliminated.

The other good news is that the etcthes for the Q5//2 arrived today so I had better get the instructions finished and check that I have enough castings.

ArthurK

I probably shouldn't do this but I will. These kits are too good to miss. Nuff sed.

Cheers

Mike

Thought you might like this one. This is Arthur's brake linkage for the A6; the Q5/2 (and probably other NER kits) has the same brake linkage arrangement. It is actually built up from separate etched parts, located by using tiny pieces of .4 mm wire threaded through holes in each part of the etch. The wire is then filed down to represent the bolts which held this arrangement together. Viewed side on, this really does give that 3-dimensional representation of the brake linkage. And the etched sheet includes the same arrangement for 'OO' modellers with a reduced distance between the brake hangar journals.

I still have to do the front linkage; bad light stopped this activity! Here, in North Yorkshire, it's grey, dark and it's snowing again.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-02510800-1328805503.jpg

Thought you might like this one. This is Arthur's brake linkage for the A6; the Q5/2 (and probably other NER kits) has the same brake linkage arrangement. It is actually built up from separate etched parts, located by using tiny pieces of .4 mm wire threaded through holes in each part of the etch. The wire is then filed down to represent the bolts which held this arrangement together. Viewed side on, this really does give that 3-dimensional representation of the brake linkage. And the etched sheet includes the same arrangement for 'OO' modellers with a reduced distance between the brake hangar journals.

I still have to do the front linkage; bad light stopped this activity! Here, in North Yorkshire, it's grey, dark and it's snowing again.

Cheers

Mike

It certainly looks very meaty Mike, very nice indeed. Some 7mm kits don't have this level of detail, I wonder how they get away with it sometimes! The A6 doesn't look far off now Mike, will she be in the paint shop the same time as the Q5?

ATB Mick

It certainly looks very meaty Mike, very nice indeed. Some 7mm kits don't have this level of detail, I wonder how they get away with it sometimes! The A6 doesn't look far off now Mike, will she be in the paint shop the same time as the Q5?

ATB Mick

Mick,

The detail on these kits of Arthur's is quite extraordinary and a real testament to a first class kit designer and some very fine etching. The actual brakes and brake hangars are a work of art, as are the coupling and connecting rods (no connecting rods on't A6 mind). All in all, they're a joy to build.

The Q5/2 is nearly ready to emerge from the paint shop. It then needs to go into the 'weathering shop' to be distressed and mucked up. So the A6 will then follow into the paint shop, though she will also visit the lining department within the paint shop. I think the A6 might spend rather less time in the 'weathering shop' than the Q5/2, though it won't escape this visit completely.

Cheers

Mike

I have a few of Arthur's kits also and can concur that the etch details as good as anything I have seen, his lost wax masters are also excellent. I have also just received one of the new kits for the NER class X 4.8.0T (LNER T1) from Peter Stanger. Again a brilliant piece of etch design work, working suspension with integral gearbox and excellent brass castings.

Can't wait to get my hands on Arthur's NER Class W, 2 or 3 for me to be built as one in short smokebox and two in long smokebox variants.

Just waiting now for Paul Gram to release his GCR/LNER Q4 and GNR/LNER R1 0.8.2T loco kits, nice to see good etched models of previously unreleased loco's coming onto the market (Millholme cast Q4 accepted).

All I need now to make a perfect year, is for a kit manufacturer to announce an LNER C9 4.4.4.4 articulated loco, or I might just have to scratch build one.

SteveT

Horsetan,

Already got the etches for the S1 Hump shunter, available form Judith Edge models to order. Picked mine up at recent Warrinton exhibition.

Would like a NER Whitby Bogie as well, OH and a Sturrock Steam Tender. Must calm down now starting to get carried away.

SteveT

• RMweb Premium

All I need now to make a perfect year, is for a kit manufacturer to announce an LNER C9 4.4.4.4 articulated loco, or I might just have to scratch build one.

SteveT

I think that you are being a bit optimistic om that one Steve although I do like the C7/2. I saw both of those.

We will get the A6 sorted then the W sould be a short step beyond.

Horsetan wrote

The Stumpf "Uniflow" B15, maybe?

Well I do have the B15 in the offing. That has given me four years of headaches. I am nearly there but I don't relish another four years sorting out the Stumpf! It was the B15 footplate that gave me all the trouble in the first place. Oh that we could use the frames to tie everything to like the real thing. It would be so much easier.

Arthue K

I have a few of Arthur's kits also and can concur that the etch details as good as anything I have seen, his lost wax masters are also excellent. I have also just received one of the new kits for the NER class X 4.8.0T (LNER T1) from Peter Stanger. Again a brilliant piece of etch design work, working suspension with integral gearbox and excellent brass castings.

SteveT

Steve,

I guess it was only a matter of time before someone produced a new, etched kit for the NER Class X 4-8-0 (LNER T1). There might only have been fifteen built and only thirteen which survived into BR days but these were iconic locos.

Here's one ambling along at Hessle Haven, casting long shadows on a crisp, clear winter's day. And I have another body built and awaiting its chassis.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-99684200-1328878843.jpg

The brake gear is now all on and the linkage fitted, though I still have to fit the brake hangar brackets. The chassis kit includes a front cylinder plate, designed to accommodate the slide bars, and a rear motion plate which held the slide bars parallel. As I am fitting this to a scratch built chassis, I needed to part off the cylinder plate and then start the assembly with the bottom four slide bars. I intend to make representations of the crossheads and internal connecting rods, though not the valve motion which was situated very low down between the frames.

All good practice for the assembly of the next, all metal A6.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-53330500-1328886114.jpg

post-3150-0-51507400-1328886129.jpg

They look big beggars. There is a book out there, whose title escapes me, written by a fireman who worked on these engines to Whitby just before Nationalisation. Very absorbing read it was too. This is a very nice model and I'm sure John 'Fozzy' at North Eastern Design must'nt have seen this thread otherwise he would have been drooling over it. ^_^

Archived