LNER A6

mikemeg

Great progress Mike,

Just as an aside myself and Mick Nich went to Doncaster show yesterday, not a great show for finescale, certainly no S7, P4 or even EM that I could see, which was a shame. I did however pick up a fantastic book;

North Eastern Scrapyards 2 - David Dunn

I tend to steer clear of these books as they seem to have a depressing theme generally. However this book is Great, it's packed full of NER engines, lots of excellent A8, J21, J25, J71/2/3 and my favourate D49 pictures. Right up your street mate, must pick up the first volume at some point.

ATB Mick

• RMweb Premium

Great progress Mike,

Just as an aside myself and Mick Nich went to Doncaster show yesterday, not a great show for finescale, certainly no S7, P4 or even EM that I could see, which was a shame. I did however pick up a fantastic book;

North Eastern Scrapyards 2 - David Dunn

I tend to steer clear of these books as they seem to have a depressing theme generally. However this book is Great, it's packed full of NER engines, lots of excellent A8, J21, J25, J71/2/3 and my favourate D49 pictures. Right up your street mate, must pick up the first volume at some point.

ATB Mick

That book is certainly worth buying It shows all the bits that you never see in normal photos incuding the backheads with fittings and ubderframe detail all eposed rather that in dense shadow. I find these kine of shots invaluable when I am designing a model. Accident photos are also useful if the unfortunate loco os on its back or side. All the brake detail is fully exposed.

ArthurK

Hi Mike.

Just found this thread. Unfortunately, I have no memories to regail of "Dugglebys corner" apart from driving past last night, (and virtually every other night over the last 10 years), and I've no use for a "Whitby Tank" in my modelling period.

None the less, as you quite rightly say earlier in the thread, the black and white photo's continue to inspire and as per usual, your skills in plastic construction inspire too. I'll be watching with interest as work progresses.

Cheers.

Sean.

I've been away in Cumbria, for a week, hence the lack of any progress over the last week. Magical place, especially with snow on the fells and some of the lakes frozen over. Bought the first of the Wainwright guides to the fells and what a beautiful thing that is; printed in his own handwriting and with the original pen and ink illustrations, maps and views.

The internal motion assembly is now almost complete, requiring just the connecting rods and some more work on the crossheads. This has been assmbled as a removable assembly, so that everything can be checked prior to final fixing. According to the drawing, this assembly was inclined at 1 : 7.875 to the horizontal.

This lot is, of course, purely cosmetic; nothing here actually works.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-97846400-1329746598.jpg

While I complete this A6, time to start thinking about the next one; the one which will be built entirely from Arthur's etches. In 1950 Hull Botanic Gardens had two of this class - 69796 (the subject of this model) and 69798. Later, in 1951, other A6's came to Botanic to see out the last of their days prior to withdrawal.

So here's another of those black and white photos, though this one has a little foxing on it. This is an A6 virtually as it was at rebuilding in 1915; still with its original saturated boiler and original boiler fittings. The bogie, sandboxes and a few other details altered from that time. This photo must be no earlier than 1948 and no later than February 1951, when the loco was withdrawn. Though the number on this loco is not discernable, I am assuming that it is 69798; this because the picture is clearly Hull Paragon and the loco is one of only three which remained in this condition, the other being at Starbeck.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-39925100-1329900602.jpg

With regards to the number, might the last digit be a 5?

It could well be a 5 (69795) as this loco also remained in this same condition throughout its life as a 4-6-2. I don't know when or if this loco was allocated to Hull Botanic in that period (I only have the stock list as at August 1950) but I'm sure anyone who has the appropriate Yeadon's Register can supply the loco's history 1948 - 1950 (withdrawn in 7/1950).

Cheers

Mike

That is a really evocative photograph of a great looking engine. Thank you. I've enjoyed your build and can't wait to see the next one.

Alastair

Alastair,

Many thanks for the kind comments. Yes, you might have discerned by now that I love these old black and white photos and have been fortunate to have collected some thousands of them, largely through the medium of electronic transmission and storage (the PC and the Internet), without which my collection simply couldn't have been assembled.

Other folk, notably my old mate Mick Nicholson, have much larger and extensive collections of photos and many of the ones I've shown in my various threads are from Mick's collection; a collection which continues to accumulate more and more of these irreplacable black and white photos. For they can never be taken again.

As to the A6's yes, they were great looking locos but then wasn't everything that the NER (and most other pre grouping railway companies) did just great looking. Even the humblest piece of railway equipment (i.e. station fencing, cast spandrels, etc.) was an exercise in 'classic' design; something we seem to have now sacrificed to the twin Gods of 'least cost' and 'efficiency of manufacture and maintenance'. Though there are still exceptions - look at what has been done in St Pancras; simply stunning.

Cheers

Mike

• RMweb Premium

This will probably be my last posting for a while as I am going for an eye operation today. I would like to add my comments on that number. Mike sent me a copy and blowing that up the buffer beam definitly shows a rounded top to the last digit -- certainly not a 5. Although not very clear the last digit on the bunker appears to be 8. Perhaps I should photoshop it to clarify it a bit more.

Mike: the A6 is packed and ready to post. My daughter will pop it in the post for me.

ArthurK

This will probably be my last posting for a while as I am going for an eye operation today. I would like to add my comments on that number. Mike sent me a copy and blowing that up the buffer beam definitly shows a rounded top to the last digit -- certainly not a 5. Although not very clear the last digit on the bunker appears to be 8. Perhaps I should photoshop it to clarify it a bit more.

Mike: the A6 is packed and ready to post. My daughter will pop it in the post for me.

ArthurK

I'm sure that everyone reading this thread, or Arthur's own threads, will join with me in wishing Arthur a successful operation and a very speedy recovery.

Best wishes, Arthur

Mike

I'm sure that everyone reading this thread, or Arthur's own threads, will join with me in wishing Arthur a successful operation and a very speedy recovery. Best wishes, Arthur Mike

+1 from me Mike, all the best Arthur. A great photo as mentioned already, it perfectly sums up why I model this period also. Mainly as these classes were still around but also the subtle livery diferences. The buffer beam number still painted on along with a ' Botanic ' ( probably under the grime ), keeping up with NE traditions. Looking forward to seeing them side by side at Hessle Haven,

ATB Mick

Off the back of my last post I bought the latest Steam Railway yesterday and in an ironic twist it's full of articles that certainly you will enjoy Mike. I know I have and Mick Nich is picking up a copy. There's an excellent article on K3's with a two page colour picture of a Dairycoates K3 and even better there's four pages on Selby in the 1950's. On reading I found it was a recolection of a train spotter sometime in 1950 where he records the movements during the day. Some to mention are a blue A1, a green B1, a Selby Q5 and a WD '77' number, fantastic article, very relevant for the period you model and well worth buying,

ATB Mick

• 2 years later...

I wonder where Mikemeg went; didn't he used to post the builds of Arthur Kimber's kits on here? Well, without boring the readers I moved house and locale - to Scarborough - and then went through a bout of ill health, which prevented me from doing much modelling and any posting on here.

But now all is well and I'm back building the locos and posting on here.

So this is the scratchbuilt body on Arthur's chassis kit for the LNER A6, passing under the shipyard bridge at Hessle Haven. Painted in weathered black and now awaiting its BR mixed traffic lining and its markings.

I'm using a new PC now so it may take a little while to find the optimum size and pixilation for photos. And that apparent stripe, on the sidetank, is actually light; not the paint job!!

Next up is the finishing of Arthur's kit of the A6, which will also be as it was mid 1950.  And I guess I'm now going to need a couple of rakes of ex-NER and ex-LNER suburban coaches, to give authenticity to these locos.

Regards

Mike

post-3150-0-63999000-1407331880_thumb.jpg

Sean and Paul,

Many thanks for the good wishes and, yes, fully restored now. Sean, did you ever see Hessle Haven looking like this, with the shipyard bridge in place and four tracks under it?

Regards

Mike

Sean and Paul,

Many thanks for the good wishes and, yes, fully restored now. Sean, did you ever see Hessle Haven looking like this, with the shipyard bridge in place and four tracks under it?

Regards

Mike

I can only dream of it Mike, I really wish I had though.

Well, I lie, I was born in 1972 and travelled to Doncaster with my parents a few times when I was a lad. I remember there being a Freightliner terminal, and remember there being 4 tracks, (not necessarily here, but definately around Brough and Gilberdyke), but sadly, I was just too young to remember the railways during your modelling period.

All the more reason for the good folk such as yourself to keep it fresh in our minds if only in model form.

Cheers.

Sean.

I can only dream of it Mike, I really wish I had though.

Well, I lie, I was born in 1972 and travelled to Doncaster with my parents a few times when I was a lad. I remember there being a Freightliner terminal, and remember there being 4 tracks, (not necessarily here, but definately around Brough and Gilberdyke), but sadly, I was just too young to remember the railways during your modelling period.

All the more reason for the good folk such as yourself to keep it fresh in our minds if only in model form.

Cheers.

Sean.

Sean,

I can only remember this place from about 1958 (I was born 1947). so many of the classes which would have passed through in mid 1950 had disappeared by then. I guess 1957 was probably the last of the great years, just before the DMU's replaced the passenger tanks and the 4-4-0's on the local turns.

Despite that, the layout in the late 1950's/early 1960's was unchanged from that of 1950. It was the mid sixties when the rationalisations started to reshape the railway landscape here.

Cheers

Mike

Talking of DMUs Mike, not wanting to hijack your thread, pop over to page 64 of my detailing thread when you have a chance. You may find something there that would be right at home beneath your excellent model of shipyard bridge.

There will be a full set in Green modelled as and when my hectic schedule allows.

In the mean time, I'll be content to view as many pictures of your steamers as you care to share.

Cheers.

Sean.

Sean,

You know it's strange how some of these first generation diesels actually 'grow on you'. Looking at the modern loco designs, the EE Type 4's, Type 3's and the Peaks now look like classics of design. I guess they should, after all they are all now more than fifty years old.

Anyway, as I'm still playing around with Windows 8 and its features, here's another picture taken near shipyard bridge. This shows some of the large tank locomotives which the North Eastern seemed to excel at producing.

Ah to have seen those days!!!

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-63200400-1407337781_thumb.jpg

Really good to see you back Mike. At the end of the month I'll be acquiring Arthurs B15 kit, something for the future.

Tom from Wensleydale! ;)

Archived