3D Printed Warwell... R&R 45t Crane, ICI Hopper, Biomass & others

Hello Ian,

Not quite yet, but hopefully this weekend.

Everyone,

Further to the previously mentioned N gauge designs for County Rolling Stock, you may be interested to know that he has now launched his Kickstarter funding campaign, more details are in the smaller suppliers section of the forum.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Hi WBF

Any progress with the BEP Buffet body?

Ian

Hello Ian,

Unfortunately I haven't been able to get around to any physical design work as I have had to do some work for a commission which has taken priority.

I have however been given some prices and advice from another supplier which may make it cheaper, but would require it to be split into the 4 sides that then fit together.

I am open to opinion on this, but it would also allow a smoother 'gloss' finish on all 4 sides.

Please could anyone interested let me know what you would prefer as it would be a great help.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell 

Hi matey,

The TML wagons were as stated in all the posts used for channel tunnel, but they got everywhere by the early / mid 90's.

I regularly saw them leaving Dove Holes quarry for Leeds Midland Road aswell as other places, they were regulars at P.F till the late 90's now they only come in via GBRF trains theres usually two in the green JNA formation and thats it.

GBRF uses them in the North East on all kinds of workings thou in solid rakes, they also run off Warrington on the sand trip now too.

Another train they used to be used on was the Cleveland Potash branch mainly behind pairs of "TE" 37/5's.

While S-KITS does a resin kit myself and others don't like it! I have a couple here but there not to clever tbh, they don't come with the correct big style brake wheels and for some reason the bogies don't look to good under them too? I'm going to use Backy TEA bogies or Appleby when i re-do mine.

Another nig that annoys me and my kit bashing friends is the body comes in 5 pieces, now why does George not just do it as a resin one piece body?

So if your up for it we'd be more than happy to buy a load of these jumbo boxs off you sir :no:

I was looking at using s-kits version to make a SHEERNESS STEEL JXA but even extending it wouldn't be right as the bodys are too different.

Cheers

Rich.

• Like 1

While S-KITS does a resin kit myself and others don't like it! I have a couple here but there not to clever tbh, they don't come with the correct big style brake wheels and for some reason the bogies don't look to good under them too? I'm going to use Backy TEA bogies or Appleby when i re-do mine.

Another nig that annoys me and my kit bashing friends is the body comes in 5 pieces, now why does George not just do it as a resin one piece body?

Rich, I agree, it's not a perfect kit and there is definitely room for improvement. Casting the whole box in one piece would be a good idea - I see no reason why this can't be done as the undercuts are not too challenging for nice flexible rubber to cope with. The under frame castings of the air tank and brake distributer are rather crude and could do with work. I've got some photos of the under frame that I took whilst crawling under one of these last year that I'll dig out and post up if that helps? What are your issues with the bogies other than the fact that the side frame castings are a bit crude?

Regarding the hand wheels, I used Colin Craig's etched ones (sorry - not on the photo) which are finer and look miles better than anything you can do with a 3D printer or as a white-metal casting (as per the ones supplied with the S-kits kit).

The prototype wagons ran with disk-braked Gloucester mark IV bogies (as per my model and WBF's photo on the previous page), Gloucester Fast-Freight bogies and Davies and Lloyd ESC1 clasp-braked bogies. Colin makes decent versions of the Gloucester MkIV and the ESC1 (fully compensated for P4!) so it'd be a bit silly to duplicate these. However there is a gap in the marker for a decent version of the Gloucester Fast Freight.

Guy

Wild Boar, those containers have come out very well indeed.

I will order some once I have been paid and hopefully in time I can build a rake up using your containers and the modified Hornby KFA. I saw one of the green containers numbered in the 6xxx series the other day but I have also seen blue containers in the same 6xxx so I am not sure what the difference is. They appear to be either repainted and renumbered original GMWA containers or they could even be new build. Maybe there is some changes starting to happen with the forthcoming move to send the waste to the new plant at Runcorn.

Super smashing great as a famous comedian presenter said several times ;-)

Cheers Paul

The blue and green ones are viridor owned

Runcorn EFW Is run by viridor

HSTFAN13

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for your post, yes  I agree it would be silly to duplicate the S-Kits model as it looks from lyneux's photos that they can be made into a very nice model. I think in time I will probably stick to the Sheerness Steel ones you mentioned Richard. Does anyone have a photo of these Gloucester Fast Freight bogies (mainly for interest) as doing bogies isn't a favourite of mine, but would be interested to see what they look like.

HSTFAN, thanks also for your post, yes they are viridor as you correctly said, what we cannot understand is why a few are green though. Thanks also for the tip off on another thread about the Biomass wagon plans, I now have a copy of Rail Express and can see just how big these wagons are, they almost make the sheerness PXA's look like 16 tonners. I don't think I will produce them though on cost ground and I suspect someone may have them up their sleeves.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 1

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for your post, yes  I agree it would be silly to duplicate the S-Kits model as it looks from lyneux's photos that they can be made into a very nice model. I think in time I will probably stick to the Sheerness Steel ones you mentioned Richard. Does anyone have a photo of these Gloucester Fast Freight bogies (mainly for interest) as doing bogies isn't a favourite of mine, but would be interested to see what they look like.

HSTFAN, thanks also for your post, yes they are viridor as you correctly said, what we cannot understand is why a few are green though. Thanks also for the tip off on another thread about the Biomass wagon plans, I now have a copy of Rail Express and can see just how big these wagons are, they almost make the sheerness PXA's look like 16 tonners. I don't think I will produce them though on cost ground and I suspect someone may have them up their sleeves.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Sorry, I should of explained more ...

The green and blue are the viridor livery , as the binliners are viridor owned that's the livery there being painted in

Also the green doesn't mean biomass waste as binliners(what ever livery)carry RDF - Refuse-derived Fuel

Also yes I have that rail express aswell

It's sad that you can't make it :(

But I'm sure as you said that someone will :)

HSTFAN13

Rich, I agree, it's not a perfect kit and there is definitely room for improvement. Casting the whole box in one piece would be a good idea - I see no reason why this can't be done as the undercuts are not too challenging for nice flexible rubber to cope with. The under frame castings of the air tank and brake distributer are rather crude and could do with work. I've got some photos of the under frame that I took whilst crawling under one of these last year that I'll dig out and post up if that helps? What are your issues with the bogies other than the fact that the side frame castings are a bit crude?

Regarding the hand wheels, I used Colin Craig's etched ones (sorry - not on the photo) which are finer and look miles better than anything you can do with a 3D printer or as a white-metal casting (as per the ones supplied with the S-kits kit).

The prototype wagons ran with disk-braked Gloucester mark IV bogies (as per my model and WBF's photo on the previous page), Gloucester Fast-Freight bogies and Davies and Lloyd ESC1 clasp-braked bogies. Colin makes decent versions of the Gloucester MkIV and the ESC1 (fully compensated for P4!) so it'd be a bit silly to duplicate these. However there is a gap in the marker for a decent version of the Gloucester Fast Freight.

Guy

Hi Guy,

Yes indeed the body would be better if in one piece as thy can be a right pain when glueing together! You get everything straight then it all goes t**s up when you glue them in place:(

On the bogies yeh they look cool its just they don't stick out enough and tend to look to slim when the body pretrudes out over them but still good.

Like yourself i think i'd rather fit C.C ethed brass wheels on everything and i've been through loads now they come in very handy for kit bashing even on RTR stuff they curtainly finish the wagon a lot better than any other type.

Think i'll have to buy more / a lot more of these as my two just don't look good even mixed in with other stone wagons so a rake is needed to fully enjoy them going round.

I do how ever have a small rake of JRA's and they look good finished with Precision decals TIPHOOK RAIL logo's.

Your wagons are top notch btw chief really like checking in on your topics an looking through your pics, think i've turned more and more in to a wagon modeller now as i've sprayed that many loco's up and loco's for friends too that they get boring once you've got a small mixed fleet, the only problem is finding time to do the kit bashing nowadays but i try :no:

Thanks

Rich

Hello Everyone,

Today I got some opportunity to get on with my own backlog of projects as I have got a looming deadline to get them finished, today has seen the 4BEP's buffet reach a prototype ready stage (now on its 101 design file!) so shall hopefully be in production shortly. As mentioned above it will now be made of 4 parts instead of 1 to reduce cost and improve finish.

post-13109-0-24789600-1377298280_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-33745100-1377298283_thumb.jpg

I have also got some work done on the crane, the Jib had the underside bracing added a few days ago, but the bogies, jib runner and carriage have now benefited from the addition of NEM pockets and Buffer mounting holes for the runner and bogies. I have also updated the weight relieving connection to the carriage to make it far more accurate, and to include a coupler pocket (slight modification is needed to use it properly, and it would only be used if a loco was coupled directly to it during some lifting operations) but I thought I may add it just incase someone would want it as it would be difficult to retrofit! Propping girder boxes have now been extended across the width of the vehicle too. The mounting arrangement has also been devised for the cranes crab and should allow it to swivel but the rollers are stationary (36 of them). Still a lot of detail to add, but I want to prototype some parts shortly to test the principles. Some renders of the modified areas.

post-13109-0-34070600-1377298259_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-65085200-1377298263_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-75996800-1377298266_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-05255700-1377298270_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-88426300-1377298273_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-43463300-1377298276_thumb.jpg

Enjoy,

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 1

Hello Everyone,

The printed canopy has now been primed and received its first coat of BR cream, but I have run out for now. The stantions have also received a new coat and require a second before I add the carmine to them. Thankfully the canopy is now back in 3 pieces after a while in 5 (Oops). And full assembly will commence after glazing. It has certainly been far easier to make this canopy so far via 3D design than it would have been to scratch build.

post-13109-0-45879900-1377369855_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-58768500-1377369842_thumb.jpg

(Half of the stantions I have had printed

post-13109-0-37637800-1377369860_thumb.jpg

What it will hopefully look like (all printed) though I may use less stantions.

The remaining support brackets to attach it to the station building and the 'dagger boards' will hopefully be laser cut and added later along with the two brass rods.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 5

Hello Everyone,

Just a quick update to say that a priority test print is due on Friday for 3 of the crane components to test the fit of parts and clearances etc, I don't think the finish will be great as its on 2 day delivery so will probably be fairly rough,

Also stay tuned for another announcement regarding some of my models (some may be iNterested).

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell 

• Like 1

Hello Everyone,

The Crane carriage, crab and jib runner have arrived today and my doubts above were unfounded, most of the print is very good and relatively smooth for polyamide, quite a bit of the detail has worked including some small bolts. Unfortunately the pivot/ locking system has been lost so cannot be tested. However I am going to change the pivot to make it far more substantial to prevent it braking. The axles fit in as do the bearings and give a superbly free running vehicle. The jib runner though light is fine on all the track I have tested it on (propelled, pulled, points fast and slow). However the axles on the carriage do cause problems on the curves and some points, so I shall hopefully attempt the suggestion above to give some float. The carriage sides finish very low to the ground almost obscuring the wheels, so for tight radius curves ie 2nd removing the centre axles and fitting representations could be an option if you do not want to float the axles (not sure about removing them on mine though). I will hopefully attach some photos later.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

As promised, 

Here are some photos of the crane, apologies over the very poor photos (I've just spotted the lens is filthy). I shall try and get some better ones when there is more light. The Crab and carriage is shown on the new test facility which it has been running on this evening along with some new MK1's (Guess which) and a 4F. In the photos shown, the models have not been smoothed and have only had bearings push fitted, axles pushed in and couplers added to the pockets (The match wagons pockets have had a light filing to the back as I have made them about 0.3mm too long for them to click into place, which WILL be corrected). I don't think the finish is too bad for a model ordered on Sunday!

post-13109-0-39176000-1377891261_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-70739200-1377891277_thumb.jpg

For those interested in the BEP, I am now awaiting prices for the prototype which will give me a guide to the production models prices. These BEP will be sold differently to my other models as it will be released as an initial batch from numbers supplied by customers, as the order size will affect the final cost fairly noticeably.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Edited by Wild Boar Fell
  • Like 2

Hello Everyone,

Here are some better photos, this time taken on the Boar (even in daylight!).

I am now considering getting some etches done for the crane to do all the cast plates that the GWR ones carried + build plates and the footsteps, handbrake wheels etc but I have hear that etches aren't a cheap do. Also does anyone know what typeface might be suitable for the plates?

I am now considering having some more prototypes done shortly including the Jib.

An example of some of the many plates

post-13109-0-68536800-1377973077_thumb.jpg

The model (lightly prepped and primed)

post-13109-0-93140200-1377972709_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-85221100-1377972725_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-39456000-1377972743_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-41942200-1377972761_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-47779700-1377972779_thumb.jpg

I hope this and similar recent projects show my commitment to continuously improve my kits and bring improvement, innovation and accuracy with each one.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 3

Hello Again,

Thanks both of you, I have had a look at their website after I was pointed in their direction, hopefully I can draw several kits worth on the same sheet to bring the individual cost down a bit. The objects on their website and yours (Ben A) look superb so I shall look into them further. Also I am clad you have said you can use coral draw to prepare the files as I have some experience in using it.

Once again me being thick here but do you think etching would be capable of reproducing the small text on the panels in OO.

Further to a suggestion on here a while back I have now modified the two centre axles of the crane by putting them on a plastic tube to allow them to float sideways, I am happy to report that this has worked superbly and the crane carriage will now easily handle 2nd radius. And that is even  with some far from perfect (read not quite square) back to backs.

Cheers,

Wild Boar Fell

• RMweb Gold

Hi WBF,

Thanks!   PPD certainly do very good etchwork given the price point - I have had some companies produce far less delicate work and then quote around £70+ for an A4 sheet.

The sheet in my post is about 2/3 A4 size and is 10thou brass.

It's difficult to judge the feasibility of etching the lettering on the maker's plates without trying it - in theory photoetching detail levels are a function of the thickness of the sheet - usually minimum suggested hole apertures are equal to the thickness, so the thinner the  sheet the finer the detail.  Given the panels need to have no structural strength, I'd be inclined to reproduce them in 5thou and see how they go. 

Of course, the other difficulty is painting however I am not a 4mm modeller; certainly in N for such markings I would forfeit the 3D depth for legibility and simply offer them as a decal - possibly with black shading to "suggest" depth.

cheers

Ben A.

Hello Everyone,

The last few evenings have seen some progress made on the crane increasing the level of detail on the parts and modifying areas that I thought needed or could be improved from the test print, please note that it is still not finished and the crab is still at an early stage (the gears are taking forever to draw) and I cannot find photos from above, only 2D drawings. 

I envisage breaking the kit up as follows:

I.materialse 

1x Crane Carriage (Polyamide)

1x Jib (Polyamide)

1x Crab (Polyamide)

1x Match Wagon/ Jib Runner (Polyamide)

Shapeways

2x Weight Relieving Bogies (WSF sprued together)

1x All pulley supports/ larger seperate parts etc (WSF sprued with above)

1x Cylinder pair and other small details (FUD)

Etch

Build plates and logos, door stopping strips (not sure what they are called, Guard irons?), hand brake wheels and similar, possibly cylinder linkages too.

Here is how far I have got with the major components.

post-13109-0-64528800-1378412015_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-79877800-1378412019_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-30348200-1378412023_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-38467000-1378412027_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-11528900-1378412031_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 3

Hello Everyone,

Today I have managed to add alot more of the smaller details to the crane that aren't part of the main structure, such as the hookblock (with rams horns) and the hinged pulleys above the jib, as well as propping girders of two lengths. To me the crane is starting to look right and I am nearly happy enough to order a 2nd test print. However I need to finish all the gears on the crab and the boiler backhead + counter balance area first, then onto the etches.

By the time this is completed it will be my most expensive project so far and probably the most time consuming by a fair margin, especially as I plan to obtain two production models.

post-13109-0-02235200-1378504108_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-57400600-1378504114_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-79460200-1378504121_thumb.jpg

Stay tuned for this weekends news.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 2

NEWS TIME,

To add to the vast number of new models announced today by some of the RTR manufacturers a selection of new N gauge printed kits have been announced by Country Rolling Stock.

Richard (Tricky CRS on here) has given me permission to announce these new kits, one is a design of mine that has been scaled down and the others are new commissions that I have designed. All have been drawn, prototyped, developed and produced over the last few months in secrecy and were available for purchase today at TINGS. These are not part of the on going Kickstarter fund which involves the previously announced 4 wagons (however a further stretch goal has been added).

Kit 1: Parrot wagon, based on my OO kit, this model uses the N gauge society diamond frame bogies and includes parts to allow conversion into either style of the cable laying wagons as 2 wagons featured a different arrangement of stantions to the other 8. (Please note 1 parrot is included per kit, not 3 as shown below)

post-13109-0-10411400-1378586591_thumb.jpg

Kit 2: Midland Railway Motor Car Van, This is a completely new design that I haven't attempted in OO so far, this is the first coach type model I have done and I am very tempted to scale it up, the kit utilises the N gauge societies Stove R chassis. 

post-13109-0-41831400-1378586740_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-26656800-1378586744_thumb.jpg

Kit 3/4/5 Gas bottles, 3 different packs of gas bottles have been designed, these cover small and large domestic bottles as well as industrial bottles. These seem tiny but look the part. (The sprue has changed since this image, but it shows the 3 different kits). 

post-13109-0-99513700-1378586926_thumb.jpg

Kit 6 Cable drums, to compliment the parrots a selection of cable drums have been produced including loaded and unloaded variants in two sizes. I am not sure how many are in each kit?

post-13109-0-19295300-1378587358_thumb.jpg

Added Stretch goal (Kickstarter),

Yes you guessed it, the 45t crane has been added to the list. Even if the target isn't reached the closer to the target the fund is, the sooner it should be produced (hopefully) OO version shown.

post-13109-0-87514700-1378587402_thumb.jpg

I have probably got some details above wrong but feel free to ask me any questions on them or ask Richard directly.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Normal service (OO) will resume shortly

Edited by Wild Boar Fell
  • Like 1