3D Printed Warwell... R&R 45t Crane, ICI Hopper, Biomass & others

Thanks David,

I am now happy to inform everyone that I have ordered these three items for prototyping and they are due for arrival in early June, finally I will have a sensible rake of one of my wagons (PXA x5). Hopefully after that I might be able to finish the FFA and FGA flats (I think I have come up with a solution to the coupling issues and bogies, that just leaves the container mounts and final detailing). Though progress on these is likely to be after mid June due to other commitments.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Looking forward to seeing the first test shots of the binliner container. I saw a green liveried GMWA container the other day when I passed Northenden terminal so I guess that might be a new bio waste traffic maybe?

Cheers Paul

Hello Paul,

Thanks for that June 4th they are suppose to arrive so I shall try and upload some photos of them asap, hopefully I may be able to go straight into production with them.

I haven't seen any photos of the green ones or have seen anything about them so you could be correct, did they look to be the same design of container as the standard ones I have done?

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Paul,

Thanks for that June 4th they are suppose to arrive so I shall try and upload some photos of them asap, hopefully I may be able to go straight into production with them.

I haven't seen any photos of the green ones or have seen anything about them so you could be correct, did they look to be the same design of container as the standard ones I have done?

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Hi, yes there may only be a couple of containers painted green I am not certain why. If you look in the current June issue of Rail Express on page 46 there is a photo of a diverted Roxby to Pendleton and you can just make out a single green container on the fifth wagon behind the loco just below the stone bridge. They appear to be the same design of containers as the others in the train. Perhaps green is some sort of bio waste? I look forward to seeing the sample once you have received them.

Cheers Paul

Hello Paul,

I picked up Rail Express the other day and see the container that you mentioned (Its obviously not a widespread livery). Maybe it is a trial scheme of biomass waste as you suggested. On the sample front the containers should be here on Monday all being well.

While the Sheerness PXA's bodies should also arrive, the bogies will not be ready yet as my order was rejected so I shall order these ASAP,

Apologies for the delay.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Hello Everyone,

This evening I have managed to progress my latest design which will hopefully follow some of the other ones I have already mentioned.

The wagon is a YEA 'Perch' Long Welded Rail wagon, I am designing the frames of these first so that I can modify it into the clamping, stabling and power wagons (which I already have the GPS bogies drawn for). All of these bar the power wagon will be designed to take the Bachmann Y25 bogies. This will prove an interesting project for me as it includes a flat wagon chassis which I am use to printing with the more complex and detailed shapes of the cabins (Stabling and chute wagons) and the sliding crane.

What I am stuck for however is a clear top down shot of the chassis (or drawing) as they have a mesh floor meaning the frames are visible, the best shot I have found only shows the end hence why I have only draw that much of the framing.  

post-13109-0-62445500-1370121080_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-95101600-1370121076_thumb.jpg

Also this week I was fortunate to have a Heavy Haul service stop infront of me, and spotted these bogies on most of the HXA's in the rake, they appear to me to be Gloucester GPS's (25's) or are they something else of a similar design, the build plate would suggest the latter.

post-13109-0-48271900-1370121740_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-58891200-1370121756_thumb.jpg

Also spotted on the same day was the Track Renewal Train or part of it, hence why I have been inspired to do this. (I will load the photos of them onto my flickr soon)

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 1

Hello Everyone,

Cheers Mike, they look remarkably similar to the GPS's to me but I think the suspension is slightly different to them.

Just a quick message to say that the 20ft Side loader, Binliners and the PXA's have arrived and the quality of print is even higher than normal.

Photos to follow.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Hello Everyone,

As promised here are some photos of today's arrivals.

MOD 20ft Side loader

post-13109-0-37690300-1370274428_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-08395500-1370274433_thumb.jpg

As can be seen the Bachmann locking bars just fit, though the holes may be best opened up slightly.

20ft Binliner container

post-13109-0-21538600-1370274510_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-79812000-1370274512.jpg

post-13109-0-91906900-1370274528_thumb.jpg

These I am really happy with especially the door detail as I was not convinced that much would print.

And finally the PXA Scrap steel boxes.

post-13109-0-83890300-1370274627_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-15228900-1370274643_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-83434100-1370274658_thumb.jpg

I am now just waiting on the bogies for these (which have just been approved), but you can see the coupler 'platform' that I have added, the coupling pockets need to be glued to the underside these.

The two container styles are now available via my site/ i.materialise as I cannot find any issues with them.

• Like 6

Looking forward to seeing the first test shots of the binliner container. I saw a green liveried GMWA container the other day when I passed Northenden terminal so I guess that might be a new bio waste traffic maybe?

Cheers Paul

Hello,

Just spotted these photos whilst looking for something else,

http://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/TheHumbleBox-Operator/Non-BIC-coded-bulk-containers/Waste-Containers-Binliner-GMC/18553106_HRLLf5#!i=1432587949&k=C6nBrMg&lb=1&s=A

Thats now 4 liveries for these boxes,

Viridor Blue,

Viridor Green,

GMC White with yellow end,

GMC yellow with hand painted numbers (or so it appears).

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Wild Boar, those containers have come out very well indeed.

I will order some once I have been paid and hopefully in time I can build a rake up using your containers and the modified Hornby KFA. I saw one of the green containers numbered in the 6xxx series the other day but I have also seen blue containers in the same 6xxx so I am not sure what the difference is. They appear to be either repainted and renumbered original GMWA containers or they could even be new build. Maybe there is some changes starting to happen with the forthcoming move to send the waste to the new plant at Runcorn.

Super smashing great as a famous comedian presenter said several times ;-)

Cheers Paul

• Like 2

Thanks Paul,

Yes I am pleased with how they have turned out, it has been an unusual and interesting project to design. Also many thanks for your research work in this project. I suspect you could be correct that they may be alternative use containers as I cannot see the logic behind the repainting (as I dont think they have been blue for long?) unless it was to denote something important about individual containers. Maybe they have had minor or internal modifications for use at the new facility. That is but a guess though.

What container to do next in the series...  Gypsum ones maybe? Plenty of projects to finish first.

Anyway, on the Perch I have been back to the drawing boar for some major mods as the loading diagrams didn't tie up with photos, as can be seen below the as drawn wagon (bottom) has a much shorter central frame section, nearly 4 foot shorter. Also it shows the handbrake wheel the wrong side of the stanchion. I have also now added  what appears to be a limit switch and another switch to the frame sides, and repositioned the lamps.

post-13109-0-84590100-1370551565_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-76680400-1370551567_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 2

Hello Everyone,

The Mk2 (literally) bogies arrived for the PXA today and after giving them a clean I have fitted them to two of the wagons, I have also now fitted floors to all 4 remaining wagons as well. Flooring is optional but I plan to load mine so wont bother as you cannot see it is missing due to the sides. The new bogies are a better fit and seem more stable too. As a result I have now made both parts to available for sale, I shall hopefully have time to create some instructions later next week. Transfers for these (and the Side loaders) shall hopefully be available soon from a well known supplier of transfers.

Here are some photos, apologies over the poor photo quality, but I ran out of light.

post-13109-0-11669100-1370640365_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-19271500-1370640401_thumb.jpg

EDIT: Blue wagon is the 1st prototype.

post-13109-0-43600900-1370640427_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-18698100-1370640451_thumb.jpg

Due to an ordering error I only have half the bogies I need for the rake, so will order the rest soon (please note the bogies come with a 2 spare sets of buffers).

To the paint shop....

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell 

Edited by Wild Boar Fell
  • Like 2

I came away from my weekend helping Peter trains 12 with his Glen Gillie & Loch Inch layout with a reduced price Hornby KFA that was complete apart from a damaged box so that got the thoughts going on Saturday night with a good look at the cast metal wagon frame and what items need removing to make it more like the binliner Standard Wagon built PFA/KFAs. The containers will get flogged off shortly as they are not required at all. So come payday I will order three of the containers to get the project moving.

Cheers Paul

• Like 1

Hi Matthew,

Absolutely stunning work sir well done, loving all the projects and can't wait to get some.

The PXA POWELL DUFFRYN hooded wagon is mega and will look forward to those also the YEA Perch is a wagon we've all been after for ages so excellent choice there again.

Keep up the good work and look forward to more updates.

Best Regards.

Hello Everyone,

Firstly Paul, best of look with your conversion I shall be interested to see how you go about it, and I am pretty sure others will be too, sounds like you had a stroke of luck finding that wagon reduced.

Thanks also Richard, yes I will probably try and get some scale plans for them first before I go any further to get it spot on, also I need to work out whether fit the hood supports directly to the chassis allowing it to be covered with paper or something similar to make the hood, or to provide them separately to be fitted as desired, the latter being slightly more expensive, but could allow me to do both end variants? 

I also managed to get a few minutes to paint spray the bins white and then painted ends, typically I had masked them and then discovered the yellow spray can was empty, I have opted for the humbrol rail colour warning panel yellow, which is more orange than the photo suggest, but looks a reasonable shade in comparison to photos.

post-13109-0-46625600-1370982130_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-67440200-1370982146_thumb.jpg

The Sheerness PXA's have also been primed ready for spraying two tone blue.

Please note the body is placed on the bogies in this photo (I think?) rather than fixed in place.

post-13109-0-55465500-1370982438_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-94407400-1370982448_thumb.jpg

I also hope to have some news on the Ramp wagon/ Ramp wagon diorama some times soon as well as get some more rapid progress on designs soon.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 3

Wow the white and yellow certainly bring those containers to life WBF my wallet is bursting to get a trio ordered. Would there be a future option on the website to order three containers as standard and would this make the unit costs come down slightly? Not that I really know much about the 3D printing costing structure but I do appreciate that there are certain costs that cannot be altered.

Cheers Paul

Thanks Paul,

It would be great If that were possible to do, unfortunately there are a few reasons why I cannot, firstly the items are priced in a very competitive deal that allows models that fit a 125CM^3 box (ie, 5cm x 5cm x 5cm) with no side longer than 20cm so 3 together would be outside the box, incurring a far higher price as they have a high volume of over 30cm^3 of plastic putting them at over 30 euros each, so in effect that pricing structure allows two to be ordered for the same price as one at least. Also I.materialise only allow one model per file and are not keen on spruing items together. 

On the positive side though you still only have to pay the postage for the order once.

Hope this helps, 

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell