Cheshire Lines Committee - Coaching Stock Colour in early 1950s

• RMweb Premium

Can anyone help please?

We are trying to find out what colour ex CLC suburban coaching stock working in and out of Liverpool Central during the 1950-55 period was.

If anyone can help can you let me know please?

CLC passenger stock livery was varnished teak. Some of the newer stock my still have been varnished in 1950, but the older stock would have been plain brown. After 1949 an increasing number of coaches would have been painted BR crimson, though the oldest would have been scrapped without being repainted.

• RMweb Premium

As Bill has said it depends. The Railway Observers from 1950 make reference to CLC ex-MSJ&AR stock and low roofed stock in brown and non-corridor matchboarded stock in red. These would have had M prefixes to the numbers and some still carried the letters C.L.C.. Teak livery seems to have lasted on some of the Gresley articulated stock at least.

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the info. I do know that one of the ex brown brake thirds was repainted an renumbered into the M series in 1952 )courtesy of the LNER Study Group) As I have no colour photos its difficult to say what colour the coaches are/were. All seem to be distinctly filthy which makes it even harder to get the colours (did the CLC lines have a carriage cleaning facility??) I will do a mix of brown and crimson stock - no doubt when I run them someone will turn up with clear evidence showing me to be wrong - but when they do I will let you all know what colour they are

I saw a CLC articulated pair on an excursion train from Bradford or Leeds to Morecambe, it was teak with CLC lettering. This would be c1952. If I remember correctly it had Gresley bogies or am I mistaken about that? {I was only about 10 years old]

Edward

• RMweb Premium

I saw a CLC articulated pair on an excursion train from Bradford or Leeds to Morecambe, it was teak with CLC lettering. This would be c1952. If I remember correctly it had Gresley bogies or am I mistaken about that? {I was only about 10 years old]

Edward

The photo I have of these show Gresley Bogies - difficult to see colour as the pair in questions are not very clean - many thanks for your memories

The non-corridor coaches in photos on the Cheshire lines are of LMS and LNWR origins, CLC, GCR and not a few GNR non-corridors thrown in for good measure. It is impossible to tell which were BR carmine and which were LNER brown, but I'd hazard a guess the quite a few of the LNER constituents were brown until at least 1954. I say this because of what I saw on Glossop branch trains and mainline trains through Newton un until mid 1954, and also the OA&GB trains from Guide Bridge to Oldham. I would have thought E prefix was most likely on the GNR and GCR coaches.

Err No.

Originally all CLC carriages were maintained at Dukinfield, but when that works closed in 1937 and maintenance was transferred to Newton Heath. At nationalisation all the stock was transferred to the LMR and given 'M' prefixed numbers. There were later renumbered with 'M' prefixes and suffixes. The former indication the owning region and the later indication the region responsible for maintenance.

Most of the LNER stock that was maintained at Dukinfield was transferred to Doncaster but some of the ex GC stock went to Stratford and Cowlairs.

Archived