Weathered 16T minerals

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon. Has anyone got/seen these and if so what's the opinion? Are they a pretty good representation of the real thing and OK weathering wise ?

Could I do a similar job on plain examples (having some experience with this sort of thing)?

many thanks,

P @ 36E.

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon. Has anyone got/seen these and if so what's the opinion? Are they a pretty good representation of the real thing and OK weathering wise ?

Could I do a similar job on plain examples (having some experience with this sort of thing)?

many thanks,

P @ 36E.

Not here yet...

If you look at the Bachmann website they say March/April. The pre-production image looks quite good, and similar but perhaps "more weathered" than the current 37-377G pressed end singleton. The only issue, I think mentioned by Pennine on another thread, is that weathered minerals really should have distorted bodysides, which of course these wagons don't have.

• RMweb Premium

Ah 'not here yet' explains everything. I got all excited having seen them in the latest Hornby Mag supplement on weathering.

There have been some good articles on 'distressing' wagons in the last year or so; like the soldering iron idea but might start with it warm rather than hot (just in case).

Thanks anyway, P @ 36E

Not sure if the solo ones are due a new run but the 'triple pack' ones on the website are those that have been seen in the cabinet at shows - not bad, generally in the style of the solo ones. They'll benefit from some tweaking and variation in shade IMO, particularly the one with the more orangey rusting.

... what's the opinion? Are they a pretty good representation of the real thing and OK weathering wise ?

I dont see why not, given the right touch. The first post on my blog shows a 37 377F that's been breathed on quite heavily with enamels, gouaches and powders:

http://windcutter.wordpress.com/2011/05/31/hello-world/

and many of the others I've done also replicate the commonplace generally 'flaky' appearance.

The only issue, I think mentioned by Pennine on another thread, is that weathered minerals really should have distorted bodysides, which of course these wagons don't have.

IIRC t'was m'learned friend Brian (Fat Controller). It's something I experimented with years ago but didnt pursue, I couldnt find a sufficiently controllable method (and cheap as they are, I still wouldnt take an iron to one) ^_^

Cripes- I appear to have joined the legal profession...

For small bulges, I used warmed shot from the shot-blast machine at work (it was when I was with British Steel in the early 1970s)- for larger ones, I used the back of a round spoon. If you were doing them from a kit, as I was, it was also possible to use the rounded end of a ball-pein hammer, warmed.

Big dents and bulges weren't that common, mainly appearing on wagons used for scrap traffic.

The pre-production images look very good, especially for a RTR product. When you think that certain other manufacturers are squirting a single colour over the bottom half of their products and selling them as 'weathered'...

Having said that, my most therapeutic modelling project was building a rake of mineral wagons (from Parkside kits as Bachmann's new model wasn't available at the time) and painting and weathering them all by hand. I was surprised by how good the looked, and how quick I could turn one round, by the time I had finished the rake.

Cheers,

Will

• RMweb Premium

Ah the sweet smell of Cyno and Parksides - luvverly.

Thank you chaps I appeciate your responses and Pennine I had forgotten your 'collection' of 16Ts - great stuff.

There's definately been an article recently; I'm just going to have to search through my heaps of recent MR mags, EDIT One in the latest Hornby mag supplemwnt on weathering but I'm sure I've seen another that involved all sorts of chemical warfare on the body (wagon's, not mine).

Suppose I could give myself a trip to the GC at Loughboro' and see their collection for inspiration? I believe they have several tea rooms!! Yum.

P @ 36E

Archived