Totnes Station fire in 1962

Re6/6

• RMweb Gold

This shows the aftermath of the fire in the downside buildings in 1962. It was replaced by a 'temporary' wooden hut which was supposed to be for a short period until replacement. This actually was built and opened in 1983! The 'hut' came from Laira and was reputedly made from a wartime period timber supplied by the Americans.

The unburned structure in the right foreground survives to this day.

Note the Collett 57ft engineers coach stabled in the down bay. It used to be known as the 'Kingsbridge bay' as there was a 'goods forwards' shed on the platform as after the branch closure parcels for delivery to Kingsbridge by the then road motor service were stored. I still have the key for it somewhere!

post-6728-0-11109900-1327658006_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Such a great shame! Shame, too, the lattice footbridge (which was in need of repair) was 'accidently' hit by a crane (I think) and promptly declared dangerous and 'beyond repair' making it's demolition essential!

It was sufficiently 'accidental' to damage the crane and get the crane driver into very hot water plus cause major upheaval to the train service at, probably, almost as much cost as providing a new footbridge.

• RMweb Gold

It was sufficiently 'accidental' to damage the crane and get the crane driver into very hot water plus cause major upheaval to the train service at, probably, almost as much cost as providing a new footbridge.

Indeed, it was definitely an accident, having talked about it to one of the engineers who was on duty there at the time...

The sore point, really guys, was the fact it was declared 'beyond repair' and done away with. (Another piece of history and character consigned to the scrap heap!) It possibly/probably was beyond repair, but that phrase more often meant 'too much of a nuisance to contemplate repair'. It was 'only' an old footbridge or whatever-it-was after all!

During my 30 odd years as conservation officer there were examples galore.... from ginormous mansion houses to panelled doors and sliding sash windows.... oh, and warehouses on the Plains! Once the desirability for saving them was established... the repairs were miraculously carried out! I must have been a thorn in many peoples' sides... but I made just as many friends along the way!

• RMweb Gold

The sore point, really guys, was the fact it was declared 'beyond repair' and done away with. (Another piece of history and character consigned to the scrap heap!) It possibly/probably was beyond repair, but that phrase more often meant 'too much of a nuisance to contemplate repair'. It was 'only' an old footbridge or whatever-it-was after all!

From my own discussions with people involved at the time, I really do think it was beyond repair and would have needed replacement. I suspect that cost was even more of a factor then for BR, so what replaced it was pretty much the standard modern design, would have been nice if a 'replica' could have been installed, as is happening in one other locality to South Devon shortly.

• RMweb Gold

To put things in a bit of perspective here.

IIRC the P-way were removing the short downside trailing headshunt and lead at the London end of the downside platform (the rump of the old Quay Line). I was on duty that morning after it all happened on early turn at 0525 hrs and there was quite some immediate problem with getting early regular passengers (about twenty) over onto the upside in time for the first up London at 0535. In those days you could phone control (Plymouth) for permission to hold the train while everybody drove/ran/walked up the station approach across the road bridge and all the way down the other side. Many relied on getting their ticket at the last minute with the train signalled or even running in!

Those were the days when local 'control' meant just that, such things could be done. No such flexibility when Plymouth closed and it all moved to DM Swindon. Always a huge inquest when Swindon wouldn't play ball with holding trains or the signalman pulling a runner into the platform road. This could happen when two hundred or so midshipmen and officers arrive from Britannia Royal Naval College with all their kit and coaches reserved with connections to Pompey and scheduled HM ship departures and their train was 30 mins late etc.. I was threatened with BR 'Form 1s' ( a punisment that went on your record) on a few occasions. Once I had to ask the College Commander for a letter of commendation to the Area Manager for sorting out one of these potential fiascos! Sorry I digress...............!

The bridge was indeed badly damaged having been nearly knocked off the downside supporting pillars and with heavy damage to the main supporting girder and much smashed cast iron. I have to admit that it was sadly past redemption. I suppose today it might have been different, but I doubt it.

For a few weeks the station had two footbridges with a temporary scaffolding structure during the changeover of the old with the new.

• RMweb Gold

Another Totnes downside snap in steam days, before the fire, with a good view of the old footbridge. This is a copy of the picture that used to hang in the shunters room for years.

The concrete 'Kingsbridge Store' (mentioned above to which I still have the key!) can just be seen at the extreme right hand edge of the picture.

post-6728-0-15076100-1327931093_thumb.jpg

Super photo from the signalbox, John. Was worth mentioning the footbrdge saga just to get it posted!

Needless to say, I'm well convinced by your explanations of the circs surrounding it's loss! Sad, all the same. I take it you were both much involved with 'the railway' then?

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

These have been posted by me before on RMweb 2. Thought that they might be of interest to those who haven't seen them before.

A couple of shots of the station, one showing the Newton Abbot engineers coach present when one of the milk tanks shunts came to grief. The second shows the milk siding and headshunt that was swept away when the milk traffic was lost and the up platform was extended during the station improvements in the early 80s. The short headshunt was used for seasonal holly traffic to London, brought to the station for some years and sent in a 12T vent van.

post-6728-0-00219500-1329042532.jpg

post-6728-0-85613600-1329042565.jpg

• RMweb Gold

That would be interesting if you can John - although I'm not too impressed by the state of Newton's breakdown vans :O

I think that it may be now at the WSR via the Dart Valley as part of their vintage coach set reconstruction, as in the eighties not much got past the preservation movement.

I promise to look hard!

Archived