Railway related Films and TV dramas.

Ceptic

Its The Train, which was mentioned in the OP. It is a very good film with some good attention to detail, eapecially the scene in the workshops where Burt Lancaster is remettaling a connecting rod bearing!

cheers

Shane

Yep, Darn good film. Based on actual events, so I'm told. The engine shed was totally destroyed for that one scene, shown in the link in the OP.

Cheers.

A related question. On my last night shift, I was having a brew with my former boss, who's now one of the Duty Managers. He's 'old railway', having started as a cleaner at Tonbridge Wells West, leaving the railway at the end of steam, then coming back as Guard's Inspector, Controller and ASM at Tonbridge, then Folkestone, before joining TML.

He has a basic knowledge of signalling procedures, but doesn't know the minuatae of things like Bell Codes, and so was wondering if there was a bell code that covered eventualities like calling the police. He'd seen some film where a signalman was taken hostage in his box by someone who wanted to stop a particular train. As the captor didn't want to alert anyone, he allowed his captive to continue his shift, accepting and forwarding trains as normal. At some point, the signalman sent some sort of special bell code which alerted the neighbouring box, and thence the police. Has anyone any idea what this code might have been?

Morse?

....He'd seen some film where a signalman was taken hostage in his box by someone who wanted to stop a particular train. As the captor didn't want to alert anyone, he allowed his captive to continue his shift, accepting and forwarding trains as normal. At some point, the signalman sent some sort of special bell code which alerted the neighbouring box, and thence the police. Has anyone any idea what this code might have been?

Looking at the Bell Codes at http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/gansg/3-sigs/bellhead.htm I can't see an obvious candidate, perhaps in reply to a Bell Code he gave something very different, which alerted the other Signalman to a 'situation'.

However, it was in a film.......

Penlan

Yep, Darn good film. Based on actual events, so I'm told. The engine shed was totally destroyed for that one scene, shown in the link in the OP.

Cheers.

I hesitate to be a pedant, but that German half-track looks a lot like one of the White scout-car derivatives... The tank in the rear of the the same shot looks a bit like an AMX13 as well....

I did like the Dodge one-tonner used to carry the cameras. A lot of these ended up with rural fire brigades in Southern France- they were so slow that the local pompiers used to be able to run to catch up with them.

These shots were taken at Vaires, which is on the old CF d'Est mainline, east of Paris- a lot of the rest was filmed on the former Rouen- Orleans line, just east of Rouen, which had recently been 'declassified' when the film was made.

• RMweb Gold

That's pretty much what we agreed.....

I don't know where it's gone (oh yes I do, I have just found it :D - took me all of 4 minutes to run it to earth in the current book having first got it in the 1990 version ). It was introduced - if my memory is correct - sometime in the 1970s in the days of 'the boyos' getting up to their tricks with things that go BANG. Running that date to earth will take a good deal longer so I won't be bothering I think :) .

I don't know where it's gone (oh yes I do, I have just found it :D - took me all of 4 minutes to run it to earth in the current book having first got it in the 1990 version ). It was introduced - if my memory is correct - sometime in the 1970s in the days of 'the boyos' getting up to their tricks with things that go BANG. Running that date to earth will take a good deal longer so I won't be bothering I think :) .

Thanks, Mike- I shall tell Mr Clevett when I see him on Saturday.

Archived