RMweb

Upbech St Mary, Upbech Drove and Pott Row a journey through 00 and then into EM and 009.

mullie

1 hour ago, 1466 said:

I’m interested in your experience of regauging Oxford products to EM  .

Particularly the axle length .

Previously I’ve substituted Gibson wheels on Oxford axles because Oxford had used  shorter axles . 

Did you ease out the original Oxford wheels on their axles , please?
I hope that Oxford has now fallen into line with the industry standard of 26 mm  in recent production so I can slide in unaltered Gibson wheels .

I’ve got a couple of  Oxford GE and NE vans in the stash to do .

Thanks 

Ken 

At the moment, I have simply moved the wheels out on the axle, didn't even require any modification of brake gear if I remember rightly. I think you might be right, and there may be a need to put wheels on the existing axle. This is the only Oxford product I own so haven't tried rewheeling yet. I don't like the wheels as the treads are too wide. I do intend to buy more and would really like one in post war LNER livery though doubt that will become available any time soon.

If I remember I will stick a spare wheel set in the wagon as a test, I don't have any split spoke wheels at the moment.

Martyn

26 minutes ago, mullie said:

At the moment, I have simply moved the wheels out on the axle, didn't even require any modification of brake gear if I remember rightly. I think you might be right, and there may be a need to put wheels on the existing axle. This is the only Oxford product I own so haven't tried rewheeling yet. I don't like the wheels as the treads are too wide. I do intend to buy more and would really like one in post war LNER livery though doubt that will become available any time soon.

If I remember I will stick a spare wheel set in the wagon as a test, I don't have any split spoke wheels at the moment.

Martyn

Thanks for your reply . 
If it helps , Gibson’s wheels fit ( loosely) on to Oxford axles ; just need Loctite or similar. It’s easier than shortening Gibsons axles … although I have done that on some other conversions.

All the best .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

A very faded LNER on the tender of the J39, would look good.

manna

One day the J39 will be detailed,  although running on Comet frames, the tender on etched frames, the body is still basic Bachmann. 

There was a  brilliant photo on Dave Fs thread this week of an E4 with BR number,  LNER on the tender and no smoke box plate. I need to find a similar photo of a J39.

The photo the model is based on doesn't seem to show any emblem on the tender which did happen in early nationalisation days  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 05/03/2023 at 20:53, Alex TM said:

Although not yet sixty years of age I remember horse drawn vehicles in use with deliveries for coal merchants, rag-men, and a few breweries.  This was at a time when petrol wasn't being rationed; mind you, neither was the fresh fertiliser that was often left in the middle of the road ...

Early 1960s - I remember milk deliveries and "rag & bone" men with horse drawn wagons - in fact not so long ago on a visit home I walked past the old dairy (in a built up area of Liverpool) where the stable building is still clearly visible if re-purposed..

• Like 3

Misty grey mount board added and trimmed. J39 is testing clearances.

20230416_133221.jpg.0d55137bd4748bc10aba9320ea5bf458.jpg

20230416_1332102.jpg.bbcd55ce7d32ab4dade13b2006a9d007.jpg

I think the fiddle yard cassettes could do with a coat of paint to make them less obtrusive. 

Ballast has been reinstated, platform  needs glueing back in place, the factory building needs trimming to fit and that should do for now. 

• Like 19

If anyone is watching the Magpie Murders on BBC1, much of it was filmed in Kersey,  Suffolk.  The pub is the Bell on which the pub on Upbech Quay is based.  

We had a couple of nice meals there before we moved to Dorset though that is nearly 20 years ago. It is a beautiful village with a ford running through the main street. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Well that's a lot of atmosphere and detail in something that is a foot shorter than I thought it was. 

I think that I have now decided what the next project for me will be, not a quay, but definitely small.

I also have a hankering for a pastie...

• Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

I would have to add myself to the "didn't realise how small it was" category. I think it must be a product of photography as I was getting the same reaction. Sorry I didn't ' t get the chance to speak to you more as I had wanted to have a closer look at your weathering tecniques

Alex

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I was utterly bowled over when I saw this, Martyn. I, amongst many others expected a larger scene. 

But what I saw was a truly lovely little scene which was perfectly formed with your signature colour palette which is so very attractive and like no other I have seen.

20230423_092440.jpg.92587ee0c36712137ea97637004dbc5e-01.jpeg.6473bbf206a9cb12e91bba136a33e5ad.jpeg

I must admit to being  inspired to produce something similar.......I do after all have a spare 60cm x 40cm "baseboard"

Mmmmmmm...............

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, mullie said:

"I didn't realise how small it is."

I certainly recall uttering those exact words!

Good to meet you yesterday - not sure I actually introduced myself, I was the one in the Watercress Line hoodie.

• Thanks 1

All parts of the Upbech saga have now appeared at SWAG, though Upbech St Mary only appeared virtually in 2020. The quay is now reinstalled in an Upbech sandwich and everything back on the layout.

Really enjoyed yesterday, thank you for the kind comments, a good day all round. East Anglia  was very well represented yesterday.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, mullie said:

All parts of the Upbech saga have now appeared at SWAG, though Upbech St Mary only appeared virtually in 2020. The quay is now reinstalled in an Upbech sandwich and everything back on the layout.

Really enjoyed yesterday, thank you for the kind comments, a good day all round. East Anglia  was very well represented yesterday.

East Anglia was indeed very well represented.......and is it not the right time to embark on another segment of the Upbech Saga...? 

Just saying......

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 4

52 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

East Anglia was indeed very well represented.......and is it not the right time to embark on another segment of the Upbech Saga...? 

Just saying......

There were some clues as to the next instalment on my table yesterday!

Watch this space as they say. 

• Like 2