Upbech St Mary, Upbech Drove and Pott Row a journey through 00 and then into EM and 009.

mullie

The 009 potato railway will make a fine addition to the layout. will be interested to see how the Timesaver style layout works as I like a good shunting puzzle. 

One of my friends has an O14 potato railway layout that is called ‘King Edward Street’, think

its quite a popular name for potato railways!

Andrew

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The time-saver is also similar to the track plan of a lot of wayside stations. 

Could always rename it maris piper, desiree or Charlotte,  just doesn't have the same ring to it. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, mullie said:

The time-saver is also similar to the track plan of a lot of wayside stations. 

Could always rename it maris piper, desiree or Charlotte,  just doesn't have the same ring to it. 

A contractor called Ted King might work still using the (King) Edward basis for the pun.

• Funny 4

As well as making terrible jokes about potatoes I have been refreshing the scenery on Upbech St Mary. This is one of my favourite spots on the line and was the first part built as an EM testbed to see if I could work to the standards required. Like the other modules, it can have a fiddle yard attached and be worked independently. Changes are very small and subtle though hopefully making a difference.

Changes as follows:

1. Water tower repainted and bedded in.

2. Tree substantially rebuilt with new branches added from sea foam, new foliage.

3. All greenery refreshed and some small bushes added made from jute string, static grass and flock.

4. Point switches painted to tone them down.

5. Point blades bedded in better on the front point.

The jute string bushes can be seen below, again using an idea borrowed from a youtube video though they use sisal which I din't have:

20230522_191832.jpg.3670436e44ff8d522b307fbe308bf455.jpg

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 22/05/2023 at 17:55, mullie said:

Private owner wagon livery for P O tater could be a possibility

Hat .......coat.......... gone!

Couldn't resist a bit of doodling in Photoshop whilst the footy is on.

WD bogie wagon scan copy.jpg

• Like 5
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

There's no escape.........

Edited by NHY 581
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

30 minutes ago, hayfield said:

Have you bought a Terrier ?

I like Jack Russell's but a dog is no good with our lifestyle. 

(I think one will be acquired once the standard gauge tracks are laid on the new module).

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

Operation King Edward now has trackwork and all the cr%p has been cleared so I can start wiring.  Like all my layouts these days locos will be worked by dcc with wire in tube point control. I have no interest in digital sound. 

20230602_080816.jpg.9cfad29f04a69c297da50620aee18f7f.jpg

20230602_080904.jpg.9d7c65378a80fb47f679ffbf8080edac.jpg

For the standard gauge I may try the ready to lay EM track available from the society,  I only need one point and a few yards of track. 

Edited by mullie
  • Like 11
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning Martyn, 

O.K.E is coming on well.......

King Edward's Basin........? 

Rob

5 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning Martyn, 

O.K.E is coming on well.......

King Edward's Basin........? 

Rob

No water this time,  there will be exchange sidings with the standard gauge, possibly using my M&GN locos once converted to EM. I have a 4f and two 4mts currently in boxes though there could be other regions involved at times.

The plan is to have no railway buildings that could link it to a specific region hence my interest in Colonel Stephens. It is inspired by layouts like Canada Street which runs different regions and eras though admittedly largely post steam. Saw it at Expo EM this year having followed it online for years.

The name is brewing!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, mullie said:

It is inspired by layouts like Canada Street which runs different regions and eras though admittedly largely post steam. Saw it at Expo EM this year having followed it online for years.

Sadly I read elsewhere on the forum that Pete Johnson who build Canada Street passed away last week: 

https://www.emgauge70s.co.uk/model_omwb204.html

• Friendly/supportive 1

29 minutes ago, Nick C said:

Sadly I read elsewhere on the forum that Pete Johnson who build Canada Street passed away last week: 

https://www.emgauge70s.co.uk/model_omwb204.html

That is terrible news. I spoke to a member of his team,  he was standing next to them talking to someone else at the time. A great layout and one of the reasons I went this year though it is always and inspiring day out.

Edited by mullie
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, mullie said:

That is terrible news. I spoke to a member of his team,  he was standing next to them talking to someone else at the time. A great layout and one of the reasons I went this year though it is always and inspiring day out.

I didn't manage to get to ExpoEM this year, though I've been a few times before, and seen Canada Street a couple of times. I don't think I ever spoke to him, but certainly appreciated the quality of his work. 

• Like 1

Been painting with sea foam, static grass and flock.

The intention was to create some unkempt trees and bushes as can be found growing out of hedges in autumn. 

image.jpg.88e6f70da23b23d7bc4a0954abc1affb.jpg

image.jpg.3b13dbced556e28741a8b40fa467ddb9.jpg

And here they are in place disguising the entrance to the fiddle yard.

image.jpg.3e66a50d7656488f60c6e010efd9c996.jpg

• Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1