Upbech St Mary, Upbech Drove and Pott Row a journey through 00 and then into EM and 009.

mullie

5 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning Martyn, 

Nice job on the handrails. They're not the most robust. Fortunately, mine are intact......for now at least. 

Regarding the Kadees, I'm coming to that conclusion myself and may well revert to T/L. Not sure yet but I will hang on to them to use on my Czech layout as and when I get around to it. 

Now, question. 

Regarding the class 10 diesels. Do you have details of the East Anglian examples ? 

Or could you point me in the right direction to do a spot of research ? 

Cheers, 

Rob. 

Rob

In the USA I don't think they have the same problems as I think they tend to use stock with axles that aren't magnetic. They are an excellent product and I would use them again in a different setting. I know it is me but I don't like losing the buffer beam detailing either.

I find the BR database site a mine of information. For instance you could look up March shed and it would give you a list of class 10 shunters allocated in your time frame, finding a photo of said loco is more of a challenge. The site is here.

https://www.brdatabase.info/sites.php?page=depots&action=list

Edited by mullie
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, stewartingram said:

A bit long winded, and I've expanded the range a bit:

Anglia class 10.docx 20.02 kB · 2 downloads

Brilliant. 

Thanks Stewart. Just what was needed. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The shape of things to come?

20220320_141610.jpg.df6d1547d1d61efa94bc1528f76816a0.jpg

The 08 is now running, some tweaks still to do including gluing crankpins and trimming so they don't foul the point rodding, which needs lowering anyway, and weathering. Numbered as a March class 10 from a photo taken in 1963 at Norwich. The photo is taken from quite a distance but the loco still has green ends and as far as I can see no electrification flashes so quite different to my other class 10. It still has ladders, I believe they were removed due to concerns about staff climbing them and getting close to the overhead wires.

The loco also has S&W coupling loops.

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

I'm afraid I'm not as thorough as some people and over the last year haven't  always kept photos I've posted but with Upbech Drove due to appear at SWAG in Taunton I thought I should post a few photos to get the thread going again.

629709527_Coalyard1.jpg.5cd493c84d7787f217096082c96f6fde.jpg

J72.jpg.423d875d05a75698604342c47f175fc4.jpg

This part of the layout was a lockdown project started from what I had at home whilst most shops including Marcways were closed in 2020. My layouts are portable so I won't have to restart in the event of a house move as it takes me so long to build anything. I never assumed an invite to an exhibition as I have never belonged to a club.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Evening Martyn. 

I think we all face the same challenge regarding photos. I'm waiting to see how many emerge before embarking on potential replacements for Sheep World. 

The layout is looking splendid by the way. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

First modification made, an NCE panel inserted into the front of the layout. Up to now, I have used my separate box with a lead that plugs in into the front, hopefully this is simpler and less exposed to knocks. The previous set up remains and could still be used, a belt and braces approach.

20220403_154338.jpg.f923494ebd8ec643116121ccc777b291.jpg

LED lights were ordered yesterday so a simple light rig can be made, a caddy to hold the DCC controller ordered and a list of jobs to do created, for instance when moving the layout today three of the gas lamps fell out and one of the trees has worked loose.

An end panel has been created where the track normally goes through to the town quay board, we don't want any stock falling to the floor.

I'm glad I have allowed plenty of time to get jobs done, the first week of the Easter holiday will be difficult so I have given myself a fighting chance. Years of gigging and organising music events for young people has been good training!

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, mullie said:

Years of gigging and organising music events for young people has been good training!

Top stuff Martyn 

From the various threads it's good to see everyone's layouts being worked on ahead of  SWAG. 

Oddly, I read the above as "years of giggling....."

Rob. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

As we chatted about today, Martyn, the colour pallette on Upbech is lovely. Beautifully understated. You have a lovely style. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, mullie said:

Glad to say the layout behaved itself at SWAG today, only managed to take one photo, just before doors opened.

20220424_094826.jpg.aeed5bc1e2c3e30dd83a4382d2c8d6c7.jpg

Great to meet you Martyn @mullielovely layout and locos and stock all beautifully done.

I have a little video shaky hand held and all those lovers of cake will appreciate it to 🤣 😉

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, AdeMoore said:

Great to meet you Martyn @mullielovely layout and locos and stock all beautifully done.

I have a little video shaky hand held and all those lovers of cake will appreciate it to 🤣 😉

Thanks for the video,  I do have a soft for the trams, they were the catalyst for  the Upbech saga as they proved so easy to convert to EM.

Martyn 

• Like 4

Really enjoyed seeing this layout, and chatting with you on Sunday Martyn.
The SWAG day was great - as it always seems to be. The layouts and dioramas on display were of the highest standard.
I've said of previous SWAG days - I enjoyed it more than many exhibitions I've paid to attend.

Better get on with building at least something or that @NHY 581chap will be after me! ;) 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2