MPD CONCRETE SURFACE

LJC

I used offcuts from an arts and crafts shop for the decorative mounting board they use around pictures in frames. One of the many colours available was a grey concrete colour and the texture was just right for this. The offcuts were very inexpensive too.

I have also used the black stuff for a goods yard road surface, again just right for a bitumen/asphalt texture.

The concrete effect can be seen in the first three pics and the bitumen effect can be seen in the last two photos.

Middlehurst22-01-0928-800.jpg

73atfactory2.jpg

Middlehurst22-01-0937-800.jpg

MiddlehurstGoodsShed2cropped-800.jpg

MiddlehurstGoodsShed1cropped-800.jpg

I understand your reluctance to use filler - I decided to avoid it for fear of making an almighty mess. I have used plasikard and cork. Care is required to get the thicknesses right so that the surface is just a bit lower than the railhead. Mine was one of my early tasks and I intend to redo it at some stage but expect to use the same method (albeit with a little more skill). DAS clay works quite well as an alternative filler; it is easy to work with, makes very little mess and any surplus bits come off easily. It does however, leave a very smooth surface which requires texturing.

Harold.

LJC,

Further to the suggestions of foamboard. I picked up a recent Continental Modeller mag specifically for the article on modelling a concrete hardstanding type surface in foam board by Emmanual Noullier (I've probably spelt that wrong!). Easily the most convincing depiction of a concrete surface I've come across in a mag.

At work just now but I'll post a note of the mag details later tonight.

Kind Regards

Stewart Glendinning

• RMweb Gold

I use layers of plastic styrene. Its not a particularly cheap option but so far it has generally lasted well on one layout that is 15 years old without any lifting and more recently used on my N scale Santa Barbara layout.

I lay the track then infil between the tracks with a first layer of styren which has had the underside scored ot allow the superglue speread over it to adhere it to the baseboard (no god if sticking to a foam baseboard though). Subsequent layers are then fixed with Humbrol liquid pooly 'poured' on and spread ont othe previous layer stick down. The final two layers then oversail the track chairs but are fixed slightly belwo rail level.

The bit of concret in the middel of the track is formed by cutting a first stip the width between the chairs and supergluued down. The final layers then cut to the relevant inside gauge (14.5mm in OO) and fixed with liquid poly. Any concrete consturction lines are then scored into the surface after painting then a wash of dirt is spread over thep ainted surface, settling in the concrete construction lines.

This method is more fiddly on curved sections of track but if templated using paper or thin card first then it still works.

Best ot buy larger sheets of styrene at places such as 4D models i Leman ZStreet, London E1 or traders at exhibitons.

Ian

LJC,

The article I was referring to was in August 2011 Continental Modeller - " a masterclass in simulating concrete" from foamboard by Emmanuel Nouaillier. Step by step guidance including inset trackwork. Well worth tracking down.

Regards,

Stewart

• 1 month later...

I used plaster on an old layout and made a few mistakes,

1 I din't use anything to stop the plaster coming upto the rails, now I use a few strips of balsa like the check rails mentiond above.

2 I added paint once the plaster was down and dry, fine untill you get a chip, now I add paint as I mix the plaster.

other than that it worked well for me.

Archived