Mousa Models Website Updates

billbedford

The Mousa Models websites have been updated.

The main site now has a 7mm section which includes:-

• Wagons
  • Non passenger coaching stock
  • 3D printed coach parts
  • Coach etches

The 4mm section has been expanded to include:-

• Non passenger carriage stock
  • 3D printed carriage parts
  • 3D printed loco parts
  • P4 loco wheels
  • Small Gearboxes

Mousa Models also has a shop at Shapeways where smaller 3D printed items can be purchased.

Bill:

Have put deposit on the Q1 wheels.

For 3-cylinder engines such as the LMS Jubilee, will your keyed-axle system allow the wheelsets to have the correct 120-degree setting as opposed to 90 degrees?

I believe you should still quarter wheels, even if they should be at some other angle according to the prototype. Otherwise the wheels won't revolve smoothly.

Edit

In fact I am sure this is the case - unless you connect all the driving axles with gears.

Have put deposit on the Q1 wheels.

For 3-cylinder engines such as the LMS Jubilee, will your keyed-axle system allow the wheelsets to have the correct 120-degree setting as opposed to 90 degrees?

Thanks for the order

The Jubilee wheels have their cranks set at 120deg

I believe you should still quarter wheels, even if they should be at some other angle according to the prototype. Otherwise the wheels won't revolve smoothly.

Edit

In fact I am sure this is the case - unless you connect all the driving axles with gears.

Please explain

Sorry if I was not clear. I believe that model steam locos should always have the wheels quartered at 90 degrees, so that there is an even push and pull effect through the full rotation of the wheels. This makes for much smoother running.

In practice you can't see both sides of the loco at the same time, so make the model loco as efficient as possible.

Edit

ScratchHead.gif

Surely the smoothness of revolution will be the same even at 120 degrees? After all, it's the consistency of the setting, not the particular angle they are all set at?

ScratchHead.gif

Surely the smoothness of revolution will be the same even at 120 degrees? After all, it's the consistency of the setting, not the particular angle they are all set at?

It is all to do with the effieciency of the forces on the non-powered axles. The power transmission through the coupling rods is most efficient when the coupling rods are right at the top or bottom of the wheel. A push from the powered axle will give the other wheels a firm push forwards or backwards. It is least efficient when the coupling rods are at mid point. Having the quartering set at 90 degrees means that the force on one side is at its most efficient when the other side is at its least efficient. As the wheels revolve, the least efficient side becomes the most efficient and vice versa at the same rate.

Make the quartering significantly different and the rate of change of efficiency becomes more lumpy. It is probably most noticeable in smaller locos - in 2mm scale, for example - but it does exist in larger locos too.

I have probably explained that very badly, but I hope you get the gist of what I am trying to say.

The Mousa Models websites have been updated.

The main site now has a 7mm section which includes:-

• Wagons
  • Non passenger coaching stock
  • 3D printed coach parts
  • Coach etches

The 4mm section has been expanded to include:-

• Non passenger carriage stock
  • 3D printed carriage parts
  • 3D printed loco parts
  • P4 loco wheels
  • Small Gearboxes

Mousa Models also has a shop at Shapeways where smaller 3D printed items can be purchased.

deposit placed for two 7mm conflat 'L's

Nigel

Interested in the three link and instanta couplings. Are these really 4mm scale, if so a great service to the hobby.

They certainly are...I saw samples at Scale4 this year, very, very tempting and beautifully crafted.

Mike

Bill, I am very impressed with your work and have two questions:

1) Can objects like the couplings be made in appropriate self coloured material e.g. black, or how well does it take paint?

2) The 04 body looks wonderful. Are the handrails and pipes part of the main "moulding" (sorry - don't know of the real term for a 3D printed object) or are they separate?

Ian

Bill, I am very impressed with your work and have two questions:

1) Can objects like the couplings be made in appropriate self coloured material e.g. black, or how well does it take paint?

It will take acrylic paint very well, but for fine stuff like the couplings a permanent marker type felt tip pen work very well. I've been told that the plastic con be colour with spirit base dye as used for leather etc, but I have not yet tried this.

2) The 04 body looks wonderful. Are the handrails and pipes part of the main "moulding" (sorry - don't know of the real term for a 3D printed object) or are they separate?

It comes all in one peice. As did this brake van

It is all to do with the effieciency of the forces on the non-powered axles. The power transmission through the coupling rods is most efficient when the coupling rods are right at the top or bottom of the wheel. A push from the powered axle will give the other wheels a firm push forwards or backwards. It is least efficient when the coupling rods are at mid point. Having the quartering set at 90 degrees means that the force on one side is at its most efficient when the other side is at its least efficient. As the wheels revolve, the least efficient side becomes the most efficient and vice versa at the same rate.

Make the quartering significantly different and the rate of change of efficiency becomes more lumpy. It is probably most noticeable in smaller locos - in 2mm scale, for example - but it does exist in larger locos too.

I have probably explained that very badly, but I hope you get the gist of what I am trying to say.

I am informed by a friend who models in 2mm scale that Jim Watt wrote an article in the 2mm Magazine and on the 2mm Forum about this 3 or 4 years ago. It confirms what I said, but explains it in a much better way, apparently. I don't have access to the article as I don't model in 2mm scale these days.

Re Brake van does the roof come off? Otherwise how do you glaze and add weight to the body ?

The roof is fixed but the bottom is open and an etched plate, with the w-iron attached, locates on spigots under platforms. The solebars, axleboxes, springs and footboards are in single pieces. The problem with it is that it would retail at £50+ so it is not really viable as it is.

The roof is fixed but the bottom is open and an etched plate, with the w-iron attached, locates on spigots under platforms. The solebars, axleboxes, springs and footboards are in single pieces. The problem with it is that it would retail at £50+ so it is not really viable as it is.

Oh, that's a bit of a shame. Do you see the costs for this kind of stuff coming down over time?

It will take acrylic paint very well, but for fine stuff like the couplings a permanent marker type felt tip pen work very well. I've been told that the plastic con be colour with spirit base dye as used for leather etc, but I have not yet tried this.

It comes all in one peice. As did this brake van

Thank you Bill.

It's a wonderful technique but at what point does it become viable as a means of producing railway models? I presume that for our purposes the development costs will remain relatively high and that production costs of any one item will not reduce in proportion to the numbers made? So will it remain a niche technique for the next few years? I hope not - I might then not live long enough to afford it!

Ian

Not without having some HO axles made. Are you in the market for 200+ wheelsets?

*picks himself up off the floor*

What would the unit cost of an axle be, according to your calculations? If you have to produce a minimum of 200, then they don't all have to be for the Br.01 or Br.03. Perhaps the same axles could be made available for use on wheels for the Br.41 2-8-2 and Br.50 2-10-0, which are also 2-cylindered and could do with some decent P87 profile wheels.

Archived