Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Bachmann Class 40 32-475DC and 32-480DS

GaryHN

Reading through the various admirable workarounds described here to make the class 40 usable, I take a different view; with most locos closing in on 100 GBP I have raised my expectations about the fact that it should at least run, once out of the box.

Its widely reported here and elsewhere that the class 40 is a lemon, with many lemons being replaced by more lemons by various suppliers, albeit acting in good faith.  The problems with many of these run deeper than pick ups or lubricant contamination. Mine certainly had DCC/PCB/motor issues rather than current pick problems and several others on this thread have reported the same in one form or another.

Hattons have been their usual exemplary selves when I insisted on a refund, and they have covered return postage costs. As I live in Brisbane, these are considerable and Hattons and others have surely taken a bath on these return costs from overseas punters on this curious class 40 debacle. I wonder if they raise this with Bachmann?

Edited by Johnfromoz

whats done with the 40 is done now so long as any new models do not follow the same disappointing path.

This cocophony of problems with the 40 is not what we have come to expect from Bachmann.

I feel sorry for the guys who have waited 5 years or so for this.  I suspect its been a right anti-climax for many who now have to resort to getting the soldering iron out before it even turns a wheel.

This isn't a peeing contest and I'm the first to respect that there's far more to model railways than how big is my loco fleet.  However....

...when part of an overall strategy is to cultivate a decent size allocation to achieve intended purposes, to still face a missing plank in the motive power department after this badly fumbled opportunity, is galling to say the least. 

I use a certain twisted algebra to determine my fleet composition, and modelling the Waverley in summer '68, the 64B allocation of EE Type 4s plus regional interlopers produces a substantial target.  Given that half of my 1Co-Co1 stud should be EE, and there are roughly 20 Peaks at hand, indicates the magnitude of this missed opportunity.  All I wanted was a proportionate loco that resembles the real prototype, which they have achieved; and which shares the electro-mechanical characteristics of my 45s and 46s.  And that's where we part company. 

I still have my fearsome squad of Lima/ Hornby/ homebrew hybrids, but only because i was too lazy to list them all on eBay, when I expected nothing more than 20 quid a pop for them.  How glad am I of that now.  Instead of outlay to box shifters, I'm looking at a much reduced spend on etches, fettling parts and some time spent generally modelling to get to a result I can be happy with.  Who says Barwell will ever release one of the 260-266 batch anyway, so that block was always going to need me to convert from disc examples.  The scream of the Railroad mech will resound far longer now....

I have taken the liberty of moving your comma; I think your sentence is more accurate now.  :mosking:    

"I have raised my expectations about the fact that it should at least run once, out of the box."

Which is more than my 40 has managed. Even at full 12v on the rollers, it just crawled for a few minutes before stalling. During this time, the LEDs were fully lit. I wonder what it's like with sage & onion stuffing? Gobble gobble!

Hattons have been their usual exemplary selves when I insisted on a refund, and they have covered return postage costs. As I live in Brisbane, these are considerable and Hattons and others have surely taken a bath on these return costs from overseas punters on this curious class 40 debacle. I wonder if they raise this with Bachmann?

Not Hattons but a reply from Bachmann (below) after I emailed them about the problems I've had with the loco.

What is worrying is their reply to future models, as a bit of a lube is not going to make a DCC sound Loco work correctly unless the pick up arrangement is changed.

"I was sorry to read that the problem has remained - when sent, the loco had been cleaned as advised it would be and it was running fine before dispatch back to you. So far the cleaning of all models has resolved the problem and I was surprised to hear that in your case you found the situation to remain. Obviously the replacement loco supplied to you by Hattons was one that had not received our attention. If you send this second model to us we will clean this one for you.

As has been advised, steps are being taken to resolve the matter on other variants of the model before shipment to retailers".

Not Hattons but a reply from Bachmann (below) after I emailed them about the problems I've had with the loco.

What is worrying is their reply to future models, as a bit of a lube is not going to make a DCC sound Loco work correctly unless the pick up arrangement is changed.

"I was sorry to read that the problem has remained - when sent, the loco had been cleaned as advised it would be and it was running fine before dispatch back to you. So far the cleaning of all models has resolved the problem and I was surprised to hear that in your case you found the situation to remain. Obviously the replacement loco supplied to you by Hattons was one that had not received our attention. If you send this second model to us we will clean this one for you.

As has been advised, steps are being taken to resolve the matter on other variants of the model before shipment to retailers".

As I understand it Bachmann are going through the whole order from China, some 2,000 units of each type due at the rate of 10 an hour. What is not known is how many people are involved in this work. If its 1 man  it means he has 6 mins per loco more if it's more than one man. Not a lot of time. Can you imagine how he must feel towards the end of a day with a 40 !!!!

Lets see what gives when the next batch arrives as we have only heared of those with problems and don't know how may if any are OK.

Time will tell but it does look as though Bachmann seem to be doing something to protect there reputation.

As Lee's (blueeighties) above sound clip confirms, once the pick up problem is sorted, even fitted with sound it runs perfectly, although it's possible being a Zimo it may ? have the optional capacitor added.    I'm sure Lee has now fixed many 40's with lots more to do.

I have two examples, one is fitted with Howes sound, the other is on the WB to be worked on, both have added pick ups (12) and both now run perfectly.

It would be very interesting to hear if anyone has added extra pick-ups and still not got the model to run correctly ?  as many are now happy with theirs once the pick-ups have been added. It's worth bearing in mind, that the new pick ups will bypass the grease issue, regardless of how much there is or not, conductive or otherwise !!

Some have also advised, even after getting their model back from Bachmann with the "excess grease removed" etc, they are still finding running problems.

So gentlemen it's not all doom and gloom, there is light at the end of this 40 tunnel ! 

Morning Mr T.I actually forgot to fit the capacitor, but as it happens, she runs perfectly. The Zimos run suoerbly, but it is the same old story, the loco must run correctly by itself prior to chip fitting.I have had this issue previously...I fitted a chip to a poor running loco in the vain hope it would sort the poor running....not a chance.

Fixing them up so that they work is laudible and clearly works for a few (maybe some deciding they will put up and shut up with modifiying their models for fear of losing out on getting a replacement?)however i dont wish to see anymore models from Bachmann that require adjustments to those components that are fundamental to good running out of box.

Im sure most people will willingly fit sound or even weather their 40s but baulk at having to do anymore than that to get it to do its basic function of moving.

Nor do i wish to put any ideas into bachmanns mind that all is well just because a few people have chosen to make their own modifications.

i for one will air my concerns in an email to model rail.whether they choose to raise this issue in a future magazine is up yo the editor.

Edited by ThaneofFife
  • Like 1

Were the models tested by the press reviewers? I ask because Express Modeller says ' the models performance is up to the usual high standard for Bachmann'. Maybe next month they will show thier bogie mods!

Edited by GRUNFOS
  • Like 1

Werw the models tested by the press reviewers? I ask because Express Modeller says ' the models performance is up to the usual high standard for Bachmann'. Maybe next month they will show thier bogie mods!

It is interesting that. It proves to me that the mags simply Don't give the models a thorough test run....I simply cannot believe every sample supplied for review ran properly. But then again, it's not something we would expect to come from Bachmann, and wouldn't really look for it anyway. I think this model will prove to be a real confidence changer for Bachmann's customers.

Not having paid much attention in recent months I never realised these things were available in blue form until this morning...a decent blue split box 40 having been on the shopping list for a good few years!

Then I read the last 10 pages of this thread...., thats given me a dilemma :scratchhead:

I think I'll get one anyway though as it at least looks right to me and the price is reasonable?

A few potential  purchases have fallen way to financial reality in the last year or so as the thought of yet another disappointment on the wrong side of £100 has made me less impulsive.

(No problems with Bachmann to be fair, just the other pair in recent times)

I am always wary of magazine reviews. If a magazine gave a company repeated bad reviews, then the company could stop giving them free samples.

I am also sure that samples sent to the magazines are tested before being sent, it wouldn't be bright of any company to send a dud out, especially if whoever was in charge of sending it hadn't given it a run first.

It is the same with hi-fi as with model trains.

I do think the standard of the current models is very good, and in the same way I am wary of magazines, I am a little wary of forums, after all if you buy a loco and it runs well, then you very well may not post on the forum about it, but if it fails then you feel like warning others, so I suspect that there is a slightly disproportionate response to the bad class 40's here and a bit of papering over from the magazines.

Jamie

I am always wary of magazine reviews. If a magazine gave a company repeated bad reviews, then the company could stop giving them free samples.

I am also sure that samples sent to the magazines are tested before being sent, it wouldn't be bright of any company to send a dud out, especially if whoever was in charge of sending it hadn't given it a run first.

I do think the standard of the current models is very good, and in the same way I am wary of magazines, I am a little wary of forums, after all if you buy a loco and it runs well, then you very well may not post on the forum about it, but if it fails then you feel like warning others, so I suspect that there is a slightly disproportionate response to the bad class 40's here and a bit of papering over from the magazines.

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

Fair comment but how many new 40's do you have and how many have worked straight out of the box? I would suggest if there were only a few rogues about then everyone else would be saying how unlucky the owner was, also there is a wide number of people saying the same thing not  just a few. Have a look at the Bachmann index and there is a section on quality. They have been talking about steamers and had no idea about the 40 until I mentioned it!

Paul

Hi

I myself have bought a forty and cleaned all the gunk out as the alternative to sending it back. I've fitted an esu 3.5 sound chip in it, and guess what? It still stalls on live points. So if Bachmann think that their own sound forty is going to work without a complete reworking of the bogie pick ups, they're in for a nasty shock. So thanks to Tractor, Grunfos and blue eighties etc I am now going to alter the pick ups itself. I'd be far happier if Bachmann had taken the leed and offered new corrected bogies in exchange for the faulty ones. I would be quite happy to do the re-install work myself. This would be good PR for Bachmann and save them a fortune for all these ineffective repairs.

I also have to admit to being quite surprised at how lightly Bachmann are getting taken to task over this faulty£100 model. I think their initial fault fix helped temporarily, but it isn't a long term fix and the faults are still there. Can you imagine the uproar If Hornby had made it, we'd be calling for heads to roll. Saying that with Hornby's track record for new releases, Imaging a class forty is what we'd still be doing.

Stephen

Edited by ayrmrg

Even better if this could be put on a sound chip 

I doubt it will sound as good as this ? , but the SWD 40 has cold start options - (their multi start 37 is pretty good), apart from the idling transition from cold to normal.  Biff's 40 will also have cold start options available.

Edited by tractor_37260

Jamie

Hi Jamie

I can agree with most of of your posting, but with the proviso that within this topic people have been as quick to offer help as they have been to critisise. Look at the amount of fixes that Tractor, Grunfos etc have offered up to permanently solve this problem. I think these acts alone, gives credit to the forum.

Best regards

Stephen

Edited by ayrmrg

Perhaps a poll to give some indication of how many good ones versus how many with problems have been bought by RMWebbers? 

I realise hat it would only be a straw sample, much like many of the statistics being touted in the referendum debate....oh no, think I'l lie down...

Paul

Perhaps a poll to give some indication of how many good ones versus how many with problems have been bought by RMWebbers? 

I realise hat it would only be a straw sample, much like many of the statistics being touted in the referendum debate....oh no, think I'l lie down...

Paul

Two of my pals have bought them...........one is a real problem runner, and has been returned to the Model Shop for remedial work to be carried out.

The other has shown examples of the problem , but not as severe....and seems to be improving with use.

So bottom line, that is 2 out of 2 with problems.

Bob