The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Police intelligence

PhilJ W

Posted · Hidden by pitbull1845, February 9, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by pitbull1845, February 9, 2012 - No reason given

Shouldn't that be two "L's" in intelligence??

Not always the police that make mistakes then.. Can't open the link so can't comment on the story itself...

Just managed to open it now, as Dave says, can't see its really a national news story, although I do agree it is funny... The magazine mentioned often has 5-6 stories where funny moments have been reported throughout the country. You need a sense of humour in the job otherwise you'd go mad...

• RMweb Gold

I think the officer concerned should be congratulated on his ability to look suspicious while looking for burglars!

Unlike the story last year of the stolen snowman at least this year the police were not required to solve the mystery of the decapitated snowmen in London parks.

Reminds me of the time (long ago) I went to a friend's stag do at one of those laser gun establishments. In the darked corridors, I couldn't understand why I kept getting shot by someone who kept ambushing me - until, two or three "hits" later I realised it was my reflection...

I heard a very similar story from a police officer that I knew about 15 years ago, the only difference being that they were chasing themselves in an umarked police car. I have a suspicion that it's a "friend of friend" story that goes round mainly to wind up the civilians....

The same chap told me the "Speed trap snooker" story

My sympathy is with the probationer.

I recall being stitched up by the press way back when Victoria was on the throne circa summer 1970 fresh out of training school.

Somebody ran into Cowplain (Waterlooville outside Pompey) nick "Quick there's a pig loose on the A3".This was Pre A3M motorway when all London traffic passed through Cowplain and we'd only recently cleaned up the mess after a horse ran amock amongst the A3 traffic, not a pretty sight, fatal for the horse and serious injuries for a few car occupants. I arrived just in time as the little piglet ran out of a garden / yard towards the road, I ushered it back into the yard but the subsequent Portsmouth Evening News report was not flattering to a young probationary copper and it was obvious the story had already been written and just needed somebody to release the pig in front of a convenient photographer.

A lesson learnt and I was later to serve in Lincolnshire Police press Office where I learnt the first rule of journalism. "Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story".

Very Retired Plod.

'Police intelligence' ?

As a kid a friend applied for a course at the local Agricultural & Technical College in agricultural management (ie to be a Farmer). He was refused as he didn't have the required academic qualifications

Guess what? The local Police force took him on!...

As Jim Davidson would say 'Nick, nick!'

'Police intelligence' ?

As a kid a friend applied for a course at the local Agricultural & Technical College in agricultural management (ie to be a Farmer). He was refused as he didn't have the required academic qualifications

Guess what? The local Police force took him on!...

As Jim Davidson would say 'Nick, nick!'

Police Officers come from all walks of life, from ex-retail/office workers to university graduates. Just because the person in question failed to qualify for agricultural college, doesn't mean they are unintelligent. You would be surprised how much knowledge you need to become a farmer. Botany and husbandry are just a couple of the skills for starters.

I thought Oxymorons were particularly unintelligent cattle.

Some of you may remember Pauline Hanson, a right-wing "One Nation" Aussie MP for the constituency of Oxley in Brisbane.

Her various pronouncements led to her being dubbed the "Oxley Moron". I think she also once recorded a video on which she said words to the effect that "If you are watching this, it is because I am dead...."

Archived