early loco lubricators

mswjr

Hi all,Ive asked this on a model engineer forum, but i know you guys know more about locos ect,im building a mswjr loco in five inch gauge, scaled from pic , photos ect, on early locos there is a (looks like a brass ball) thingy going into the bottom of the smokebox, i presume to oil the cylinders Ive seen this on lots of early pics but only very small, I need a good photo, drg , pic, size any thing on this item, ive looked for ages online,i do not even know what it is called, there is one on a DUBBS loco in the nrm but i dont plan going there for a while, so if anyone can help i would be very gratefull. thank you garry mswjr

I have definite answer, but did have a look at photographs in the MSWJR volume 2 book by Wild Swan. I assume you mean the two balls on stalks each side of the smokebox saddle.

My suggestion is they may be some sort of snifting valve (but unlike anything I have seen before).

Sorry, cannot be more helpful.

Tom

I have definite answer, but did have a look at photographs in the MSWJR volume 2 book by Wild Swan. I assume you mean the two balls on stalks each side of the smokebox saddle.

My suggestion is they may be some sort of snifting valve (but unlike anything I have seen before).

Sorry, cannot be more helpful.

Tom

Thats the things Ive seen them on all early brit locos but i was under the impression they were oilers but i could be wrong,and cannot get a good photo any where,

Many Thanks , I know what im looking for,and what they are called now (its interesting to see that we invented the steam loco and things like this from 1800s are slowly getting lost in time) anyway Thanks Piperson and bilbedford Garry mswjr

Archived