Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Do Model Railway magazines have a long-term future?

• RMweb Premium

Quite truthfully I'm unlikely to buy any sort of electronic reader, I have a company Blackberry which gives me access to much stuff but I wouldn't have one for myself.

It might not be as portable as a "reader" but in your computer you have all the technology you need to read the electronic versions without addition cost (beyond that of the publication).

With e-mags, I can just imagine what will happen after a few months. The advertising department will inform companies of future articles and invite them to submit sympathetic pop-ups. At first they might be for Sundeala, flexible track or controllers, but the jingle of money will turn things the internet way and we'll be looking at someone East Coast layout surrounded with pop ups for Bupa, wringle erasers, stair lifts, commodes, garden sheds and drain insurance. :whistle:

The other thing that has to come is a more convenient screen. I envisageone that folds from A4 to the size of a mobile, a roll-up kind of device or even something that can project an image on to a flat surface. I posted recently about a friend's Blackberry Playbook which comes a lot closer to my required format (i-pad too big, i-phone too small), but even so we aren't there yet.

Ed

For me the magazine that gets nearest to that is MRJ. Because most modellers see it as too esoteric they don't read it. Yes, it contains "how to articles", but these often cover stuff you don't see elsewhere and which sometimes has really new ideas.

I have always viewed the available magazines as something I look at first and then buy if I find something that is relevant or appeals to me. In the vast majority of cases they stay on the shelf because my interest and those of the mainstream magazines do not usually align.. Like Jol, MRJ is the magazine that "ticks the boxes" for me as does Narrow Gauge and Industrial Review. I subscribe to both of them from the UK (and GWR Journal)

To be totally honest, I view RM Web in the same way. There are some sections that appeal a lot to me - the kit and scratchbuilding areas as an example. But I rarely look at the sections from the large manufacturers because I have found that the "I got one as well" threads when a new product is released have zero appeal.

Craig W

I'm a bit surprised no one seems to have mentioned this http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/

Lots of ads for sure, but no more so than most of the paper mags. and plenty of editorial as well. Because its an on-line start up not a spin off from a paper mag it doesn't charge the users, the revenue comes from the ads. IMHO a much better model than the BRM concept which saves me little or nothing over buying the mag. Because of MRH I cancelled my sub to Model Railroader and for now at least there is more and fresher content in it.

Keith

With e-mags, I can just imagine what will happen after a few months. The advertising department will inform companies of future articles and invite them to submit sympathetic pop-ups. At first they might be for Sundeala, flexible track or controllers, but the jingle of money will turn things the internet way and we'll be looking at someone East Coast layout surrounded with pop ups for Bupa, wringle erasers, stair lifts, commodes, garden sheds and drain insurance. :whistle:

What is a "wringle"?

Bill

• RMweb Premium

This will instantly turn some people off but I guess I’m not a million miles away from Top Gear for modelling. That’s a program about cars, but isn’t just about driving them. It’s about the enjoyment of cars, the fascination, the different aspects of the culture and industry that surrounds them. That’s what I want to see more of. I want to see 3 modellers attempting to see who can build the best cliché layout – one does a GWR branchline, the other a diesel MPD, and the third an engineer’s yard. And leave out the ‘and then we built the baseboard using plywood’ paragraph – instead tell us what went wrong, what you should have done differently, what it was like to build it, that sort of thing. And yes, declare a winner at the end if you want!

I think I’ve already mentioned what I’m after really – a magazine about the modelling hobby as much as it is about modelling itself. I don’t really care if it’s paper or electronically available, to be honest. I just want something that breaks the fairly generic mould of modelling magazines and takes the subject in a whole new direction.

Sounds a very interesting concept - Top Gear but model trains....Perhaps something like "Full Cut Off"?

I have always viewed the available magazines as something I look at first and then buy if I find something that is relevant or appeals to me. In the vast majority of cases they stay on the shelf because my interest and those of the mainstream magazines do not usually align.. Like Jol, MRJ is the magazine that "ticks the boxes" for me as does Narrow Gauge and Industrial Review. I subscribe to both of them from the UK (and GWR Journal)

To be totally honest, I view RM Web in the same way. There are some sections that appeal a lot to me - the kit and scratchbuilding areas as an example. But I rarely look at the sections from the large manufacturers because I have found that the "I got one as well" threads when a new product is released have zero appeal.

Craig W

Craig/all,

Not singling Craig out by quoting his post, as others have said the same thing, BUT I am at a loss trying to understand how RM Web can be compared to any mag!

The board is interactive...magazines are not.........well not in the same way a board is.

As for MRJ, I commented to a past member of this board a couple of years ago that I wasn't that impressed with it.

I was referred to earlier copies and found it a great mag and have since collected most back issues to read. I think in recent times it has picked up again.

That is just my opinion, FWIW, but when you look at the reality of mags, they do have their ups and downs and there are a lot of factors that come into play there as well.

This is certainly an interesting thread and the ideas put forward, make one think of what the future holds for us.

Khris

Craig/all,

Not singling Craig out by quoting his post, as others have said the same thing, BUT I am at a loss trying to understand how RM Web can be compared to any mag!

The board is interactive...magazines are not.........well not in the same way a board is.

As for MRJ, I commented to a past member of this board a couple of years ago that I wasn't that impressed with it.

I was referred to earlier copies and found it a great mag and have since collected most back issues to read. I think in recent times it has picked up again.

That is just my opinion, FWIW, but when you look at the reality of mags, they do have their ups and downs and there are a lot of factors that come into play there as well.

This is certainly an interesting thread and the ideas put forward, make one think of what the future holds for us.

Khris

Khris,

The "interactive' nature of online forums is one of the reasons given for the demise or decline of magazines. personally I am not convinced of this for several reasons. A magazine is a snapshot in time as far as "current affairs" goes but it is self contained as far as articles go. By this I mean that the articles tell the whole story of something, even if done as a multi part saga. The forums by and large are a number of discussion groups but the "physical" content is in many ways far more limited than a magazine because it is done in real time. Would you buy a magazine if it had twenty articles showing someone had glued or soldered 6 parts together? Most forum posts are a magazine article written in real time - so they may take six months. The other difference is that on a forum the thread may never actually be completed - something unlikely with a magazine.

Suffice to say that while I think forums have a future, in my opinion the decline of magazines is overstated. Forums are a variable lot. I think RM Web has some good content and I also like the S4 society forums. But I have to say that with one exception the forums and groups available for australian modelllers are extraordinarily lack lustre.

regards,

Craig W

Craig/all,

I appreciate Craig has already responded so I dont want to wrongly second-guess him, but I took his post not as comparing a forum with a single mag, but with the whole gamut thereof. But even within a single mag, there will be parts you read avidly, possibly even go back to, and others that leave you cold; either way the comparison is valid on that level.

... A magazine is a snapshot in time as far as "current affairs" goes but it is self contained as far as articles go. By this I mean that the articles tell the whole story of something, even if done as a multi part saga. The forums by and large are a number of discussion groups but the "physical" content is in many ways far more limited than a magazine because it is done in real time. Would you buy a magazine if it had twenty articles showing someone had glued or soldered 6 parts together? Most forum posts are a magazine article written in real time - so they may take six months. The other difference is that on a forum the thread may never actually be completed - something unlikely with a magazine.

A graphic illustration of the point I made earlier about 'quality' (and before anybody starts jumping up and down, that's a very broad word in this context and no slight is intended). We accept all sorts of things - the drawn out nature of projects, the pondering over what to do next, false starts, less than perfect photography or grammar, lots of things - because we know the poster is doing it for love rather than money. But wherever payment is involved, we naturally expect higher standards.

A graphic illustration of the point I made earlier about 'quality' (and before anybody starts jumping up and down, that's a very broad word in this context and no slight is intended). We accept all sorts of things - the drawn out nature of projects, the pondering over what to do next, false starts, less than perfect photography or grammar, lots of things - because we know the poster is doing it for love rather than money. But wherever payment is involved, we naturally expect higher standards.

Exactly. What people post on a forum/blog, etc is freely given. In some cases English might not be their primary langauge, or as in my case, they're just not great when it comes to grammar or photography.

If I am paying for a magazine/site/book/video, then I expect the highest production qualities for my money. That of course can become subjective, but reasonable quality paper, good proof reading/editing are a must for a magazine/book. I can accept small errors getting in, nobody is perfect after all.

It is good to see someone from BRM saying they're reading the comments and intending to listen. I hope all of the magazines do. The proof as they say will be in the product.

I'm a bit surprised no one seems to have mentioned this http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/

I'm also surprised that it hasn't been mentioned.

MRH magazine's business model is free content, funded by advertising and it appears to be working.

All those small ads that we see in printed mags, like Model Rail and RM, can be included, but with the benefit of embedded links to the advertisers website, to promo videos, or whatever.

In such a short time since coming onto the scene, MRH appears to be one of the most popular ways that small manufacturers and retailers can quickly get new and innovative products into the public limelight (think Frog Juicers, Aux Box, RailPro, BullFrog).

Apart from web links and Videos, MRH includes a 360 degree viewing option on some of its photographs, so readers can rotate a picture of a new model and view it from various angles.

e-Magazines like this are best read on devices like the iPad and I go with the view that says that's where the future for electronic versions of printed media lies.

The numbers of people using e-Readers and tablet devices is growing at an incredible rate, but by all accounts we are just at the beginning of this revolution.

I'm inclined to believe that the publishing landscape will be radically changed over the next 10 years or so.

p.s. The latest edition of MRH is ready to read, right here. (No need to download anything).

.......Of course, the Kindles are monochrome, but there is a colour Kindle on the way supposedly.

The Amazon Kindle uses screens made by Eink. That's right E ink is a manufacturer and e-ink is their product.

Eink already have a first generation colour version of their E-ink screen in production, the Triton display, but Amazon have so far declined to use it in their range of Kindle eReaders.

Here it is.... Triton display

The colour screen Kindle you may have heard of is the Kindle Fire, which went on sale in the USA a few months ago, but that is not an eReader.

The Kindle Fire is an Android tablet device, specifically designed to be a portal to Amazon content. It doesn't use an Eink screen.

The other thing that has to come is a more convenient screen. I envisageone that folds from A4 to the size of a mobile, a roll-up kind of device or even something that can project an image on to a flat surface.

Research into folding and flexible electronic paper, has been going on for a number of years, with several interesting prototypes being shown at various major technology fairs.

Here is just one example..... folding electronic newspaper

Another is this Taiwanese device, which reminds me of Morecambe and Wise... "...have you got the scrolls?"..... "No. I always walk this way".

Is it overly cynical of me to think that the manufacturers deliberately release already-obsolete technology to ensure that the "Joneses" buy the old one, and then six months later have to replace it? I know my son changes his phone more often than I change my socks, and is already on his second Kindle.

BTW I still use CD's and VHS, and have no idea how to download i-tunes or whatever.(as if you didn't know already).

Ed

I appreciate Craig has already responded so I dont want to wrongly second-guess him, but I took his post not as comparing a forum with a single mag, but with the whole gamut thereof. But even within a single mag, there will be parts you read avidly, possibly even go back to, and others that leave you cold; either way the comparison is valid on that level.

After reading Craig's response, and yours, I do agree.

Khris

The Amazon Kindle uses screens made by Eink. That's right E ink is a manufacturer and e-ink is their product.

Eink already have a first generation colour version of their E-ink screen in production, the Triton display, but Amazon have so far declined to use it in their range of Kindle eReaders.

Here it is.... Triton display

The colour screen Kindle you may have heard of is the Kindle Fire, which went on sale in the USA a few months ago, but that is not an eReader.

The Kindle Fire is an Android tablet device, specifically designed to be a portal to Amazon content. It doesn't use an Eink screen.

Thanks for clearing that up. I only mentioned the Kindle as it is a well known one. I was going to purchase one, but in the end decided not to, due to not liking being locked to some extent to Amazon's content restrictions. Instead I looked at the Kobo Touch. For a book such as a classic novel, mono is fine. For a magazine, such as MR/HM/BRM/RM etc, not so much. Part of the reason of my favouring the Touch over the Kindle was its expandable memory support, and better ebook format support.

There is the Kobo Vox too, but I don't like the look of the screen tech used.

A colour eInk display is going to be the better option I think. Maybe Amazon will use the technology in a future product? I believe there are efforts being made to merge the LCD/OLED/EInk type display technologies to create a bright vibrant screen suitable for video and use as a tablet (ala iPad) and suitable in sunlight conditions for reading a book (ala Kindle). When the two get combined like that, that really would appeal to me.

Archived