EBay madness

Marcyg

Thought it was a mistake the first time but this is at least the second time these have been relisted at this price - but would anyone really pay that

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-DIFFERENT-Dapol-LTD-ED-GWR-6-WHEEL-TANKER-SOMERSET-DORSET-DEVON-DAIRY-CHARD-/370822916668?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item5656c4aa3c

:O  :O

Thought it was a mistake the first time but this is at least the second time these have been relisted at this price - but would anyone really pay that

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-DIFFERENT-Dapol-LTD-ED-GWR-6-WHEEL-TANKER-SOMERSET-DORSET-DEVON-DAIRY-CHARD-/370822916668?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item5656c4aa3c

I wouldn't for two milk tankers. Maybe a rare or a Limited Edition train set, but never rolling stock, never.  :O

They are limited edition milk tankers, produced for Buffers.

But still vastly overpriced.  Buffers other limited editions seem to be around the £11-£12 mark.  They're now sold out it seems as I can't find them on their site but that's no excuse.

I think it unlikely. I have seen this seller before; on here I imagine. If you look at his other listings they are a motley collection without any particular focus and with at least one other overpriced 'rare' wagon.

There are a lot of sellers like this on E Bay and one can only wonder that they must have had some success in the past to continue in this vein. Indeed the genuine private seller and the auction format is now less commonly used on there. Nevertheless, there are still some bargains to be had on E Bay and I still value the resource and avoid these types of anachronistic sellers.

Yep, this particular listing often appears in this thread. He has not a chance in hell in realising that price, but as long as there are free listing weekends, he will keep trying.  

Is it me, or is this collectable gem a bit sort of "sunken" in a key area? Still, apparently it runs ok, so why worry?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/collectable-train-/190826567044?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item2c6e265584

It has probably got a bit warm in the motor department. (It went for £5.00...)

As for Diesels...

Well, the Real loco was originally an oil burner....so it had something in common with a Diesel....

And the GWR Diesel with a Copper capped exhaust was a Fowler (LEEDS) shunter (0-4-0 DM?).

Edited by Sarahagain

I don't care if it is unmade, it's still a second-hand example of a kit that's still available from the manufacturer for less. OK, not that much less, but given the choice between a brand new kit that's covered by merchantability and distance selling laws or a handful of Nectar points, I'll take the former. However there's obviously one person who disagrees with me or simply CBA to do their research...

I don't care if it is unmade, it's still a second-hand example of a kit that's still available from the manufacturer for less.

It might just be me, but there are marks on the brass that looks suspiciously like someone has had a go at tinning or actually soldering some components together. That or they've made a mess of the etch in some other exciting way. I wouldn't personally trust that it is "A brand-new, unused, unopened and undamaged item."

It might just be me, but there are marks on the brass that looks suspiciously like someone has had a go at tinning or actually soldering some components together. That or they've made a mess of the etch in some other exciting way. I wouldn't personally trust that it is "A brand-new, unused, unopened and undamaged item."

Actually I think it is severe tarnishing. The chassis on Craftsman kits were (are?) plated brass, not nickel silver and I think something has gone awry with the plating.

tony

• RMweb Gold

Blimey that's cost a lot for a Class 42. You could probably get one that is DCC fitted for a about half the "Buy It Now" asking price. Whoever buys that must not be thinking straight. 

£59 at Hatton's without a decoder, but as it has a 21-pin socket then fitting one shouldn't be too difficult.  He also has a "Lima train" and a "GWR train" available as well, but his minimal descriptions, plus his emphatic "no refunds, no returns" is not going to encourage any buyers methinks ....  And Hatton's only charge £4 postage instead of his £9.

Edited by RFS

£59 at Hatton's without a decoder, but as it has a 21-pin socket then fitting one shouldn't be too difficult.  He also has a "Lima train" and a "GWR train" available as well, but his minimal descriptions, plus his emphatic "no refunds, no returns" is not going to encourage any buyers methinks ....  And Hatton's only charge £4 postage instead of his £9.

So why do a few sellers on eBay sell locomotives or anything Model railway based at ridiculous prices at that £100 starting bid and £160 to buy it now. as an example. And like you said its better to go to Hattons to get a Class 42 at that price and simply get a decoder at about between £10 to £20 then you save upto about 80 pounds. I say avoid anyone on eBay who sells a simple loco or anything model railway based if the price is OTT, which in this case is. 

Edited by HornbyA3Fan

So why do a few sellers on eBay sell locomotives or anything Model railway based at ridiculous prices at that £100 starting bid and £160 to buy it now. as an example. And like you said its better to go to Hattons to get a Class 42 at that price and simply get a decoder at about between £10 to £20 then you save upto about 80 pounds. I say avoid anyone on eBay who sells a simple loco or anything model railway based if the price is OTT, which in this case is. 

I wonder about this and I can think of three possible scenarios:

a) they have done no research whatsoever and genuinely think that's what it's worth

b) they've done minimal research and only encountered the gostudes and micmcns of this world and believe them to be bargain basement sellers

c) they've done proper research, have realised that the gostudes and micmcns of this world are taking the proverbial but at the same time aren't quite ambitious enough in that respect

I know which theory I lean towards ;)

It's just been a "Free Listing Weekend on eBay. I've taken advantage of this by listing a few items without cost. I've priced them at what I bought them for or what I've seen achieved before on eBay. 

I'd never use a 'micmcwotsit' or 'gostudgo' pricing strategy. Maybe that's why I'll never be rich.

Although, how I wish I'd have had 100 Lima Class 66s when Lima went bust and I got £127 at auction for one. Heady days and a few pints down the pub.  :drinks:

• Like 2