EBay madness

Marcyg

1 hour ago, rab said:

This seller obviously believes the item is worth the asking price:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-gauge-tunnel-portal-type-B1-vintage-/114729557870?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

They've been relisting it for weeks.

If they had offered it as a buy now, even with their postal rates it would be no more expensive than a "new" time tunnel portal. However, its not worth bidding on...

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

34 minutes ago, Jack Benson said:

This may been mentioned but it seems slightly over priced

Hornby Simplon Express £2,999.99

StaySafe

Don't forget the £499.99 to have it sent first class post (not even special delivery??) from Peterborough.

Doesn't give the option of collection in person.

But he won't send it to Bolivia, Haiti, Liberia, Nicaragua, Turkmenistan, Paraguay, Mauritius, Sierra Leone, Venezuela.

I don't know why but ebay have added that restriction to my listings too.

• Funny 6

1 hour ago, Jack Benson said:

StaySafe

That seems to be about 10 times the going price.

Virtually everything he sells is either Rare!!! or Very Rare.

For those collectors of disinfectant bottles he is the seller of choice.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zoflora-Midnight-Blooms-Limited-Edition-120ml-Bottle-/333521465486?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Don't forget the £499.99 to have it sent first class post (not even special delivery??) from Peterborough.

Doesn't give the option of collection in person.

But he won't send it to Bolivia, Haiti, Liberia, Nicaragua, Turkmenistan, Paraguay, Mauritius, Sierra Leone, Venezuela.

I don't know why but ebay have added that restriction to my listings too.

Something to do with trafficking in class A drugs, armaments, money laundering perhaps?

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Jack Benson said:

StaySafe

Complete with the Hornby digital controller that no one would want to touch with a bargepole!

(Even worse, if its unsealed since 2007, it'll be the un-updated Mk1 version...)

Edited by Hroth
digtal?
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, coastalview said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zoflora-Midnight-Blooms-Limited-Edition-120ml-Bottle-/333521465486?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

Got to guild the lily....cant say smells like you toilet on a Sunday morning after 10 pints of bitter and a lamb madras .

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, coastalview said:

I read this eBay listing several times over, but no matter how I tried to reason it out, I was left with the same question:

Did I drop too much acid at art college? 

Or not enough?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

11 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I read this eBay listing several times over, but no matter how I tried to reason it out, I was left with the same question:

Did I drop too much acid at art college? 

Or not enough?

I really do not understand it at all everything is listed at such absurd prices and it must have taken ages to set up.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, coastalview said:

Well that's my secret hobby out in the open... blast. Back to the stock cube foil packaging for me it is then... 

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, coastalview said:

I really do not understand it at all everything is listed at such absurd prices and it must have taken ages to set up.

I wonder if this is a case of the theory that "If you repeat a lie often enough, it becomes accepted as the truth".  

The seller(s) put out a lot of listings with absurd prices and claims of rarity.  Eventually, someone will see that everything is listed at that price, will accept that is the norm and pays up.  Now EBay lists that as the highest price Sold Item in a search, every other seller now believes that this is an achievable price and lists theirs accordingly.  So inflation of some model railway items in the last year could easily be £500%.

Unfortunately many, if not most people simply don't understand that the value of an item is not what the seller thinks it is worth. It is what two people, the seller and the buyer, AGREE what it is worth.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

There are still those who go by the rule that if it is old it must be valuable, and rare of course.

The truth is of course that they need not an Ebay listing but a binbag....

The Prosecution offers the following into evidence...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1963-Mini-Pickup/203303874460?hash=item2f55daef9c:g:VU0AAOSwXZtgS5p-

Edited by John M Upton
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

There are still those who go by the rule that if it is old it must be valuable, and rare of course.

The Prosecution offers the following into evidence...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1963-Mini-Pickup/203303874460?hash=item2f55daef9c:g:VU0AAOSwXZtgS5p-

Hand over the cash and drive it away?

Edited by Compound2632
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

37 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Hand over the cash and drive it away?

I have sold several such sheds over the years as spares or repair if it's not a vehicle that I am interested in. 

All a "restorer" needs is a log book, VIN tag and engine block and they can build a concours original from parts if they have enough money.

Or steal someone else's.

But getting back to the quoted post - You would not believe the number of people who asked me such gems as "Does it run?" "Would it drive X distance?" or: "What did I think that it needed to get an MOT?"

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

43 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

"ABSOLUTELY HIGHLY COLLECTIBLE, AND AMAZING." - Get 'em while they're HOT! :mocking_mini:

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

42 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

When I think back on all of the must have things of the last 40 years ( first memories being Argentina '78 football stickers and Star Wars toys I realise that I must be a bit weird because I never bought into any of that collectibles krap.

Probably why the media likes to ridicule anyone who doesn't toe the line and spend time and money on what they're told to by having unfashionable hobbies! :D

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

"ABSOLUTELY HIGHLY COLLECTIBLE, AND AMAZING." - Get 'em while they're HOT! :mocking_mini:

WHY are they "highly collectible"? 

Because the guy trying to shift a furniture truck full of useless tat says they are?

• Like 2
  • Agree 3