RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

1 hour ago, Tony Davis said:

Maybe by that soggy dog?

He preferred bits of wood, or strangely, old car radiator hoses, but I like your train of thought....

Stick a silly price on that train and put it on eBay.

Back  on topic! :D

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

He preferred bits of wood, or strangely, old car radiator hoses, but I like your train of thought....

Stick a silly price on that train and put it on eBay.

Back  on topic! :D

I would be very careful about letting a dog play with old car radiator hoses. Car antifreeze is up there with chocolate, raisins and onions in being dangerous to dogs. I know of a dog that started lapping up some spilt antifreeze, within minutes it had keeled over and died. Although it is lethal dogs are drawn to it like some humans are drawn to alcohol and tobacco.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

I suspected that there was something about the remnants of anti freeze that attracted him. 

He also ate the control knobs off a washing machine, which was the only damage ever done in the house, no chewing or unpleasant messes. 

He did eat anything rubber, fan belts, bump stops etc, also several light bulbs, cigarettes, a plastic non tip food bowl and attempted to eat someone who broke into my workshop. 

Preferred food items that weren't actual dog food were raw onions, curry and jam donuts. He wasn't over fed and was very active. He was almost seventeen when he succumbed to arterial failure.

I don't think that he actually realised that he was a dog to be honest.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

"Please do NOT place stacking bids, as this appears to be an effort to discourage competition.  Any such bids will be removed without notice."

The same might be said with regard to colossal bids placed on items apparently to discourage competition. Presumably sellers won't be removing this type of bid without notice?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

Now then...What’s a ”stacking bid” anyway ? :scratchhead:

Presumably it's where the same person places several bids on the same item, in one go, as an attempt to tell other bidders that they are "serious" about winning a certain item.

Edited by Tim Hall
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Tim Hall said:

Presumably it's where the same person places several bids on the same item, in one go, as an attempt to tell other bidders that they are "serious" about winning a certain item.

I'm not convinced it's always a deliberate thing, some people just do not understand how eBay bidding works.  It's not like a live auction where if the auctioneer is taking bids of £10, 20, 30 and suddenly someone bids £100, that is the current price.  Doing this on eBay, the "auctioneer" corrects your bid to £40, but someone would now have to bid £110 to outbid you. 

Stacking bidders do this on eBay because they think unless they bid very close to the current maximum bid they'll overpay, but they can't over pay by more than the bidding increment for the price range that the auction is in.  On eBay, if the item is up to £20 and the increment is 20p, you can't pay more than the second highest bidder's maximum bid plus 20p, even if you've bid £100.

To summarise, some people are numpties.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

If I'm bidding I set a maximum figure on what I would pay for an item (and stick to it). But if say I decided that my maximum was £15 and bidding stood at £5 I would bid £10 and only increase it if outbid and then only in £1 increments until I reach the maximum I set for myself.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tim Hall said:

Suppose the current bid is shown as £8.50 and I bid £12, perhaps immediately become high bidder at £10.

Do you mean I now go straight back  in and put further bids of say £15, £20, £25 on the same item?  If so, I'll still be high bidder at that £10 until somebody else comes along and puts in a bid  above £10.  And I'll still be high bidder unless they bid more than my highest.  Why would I take the trouble to do this?  Outcome is no different than if I had bid my upper limit of £25 in the first place.  So what's the problem?

And why would it bother the seller - surely the higher I bid the better his chances of making more money.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Suppose the current bid is shown as £8.50 and I bid £12, perhaps immediately become high bidder at £10.

Do you mean I now go straight back  in and put further bids of say £15, £20, £25 on the same item?  If so, I'll still be high bidder at that £10 until somebody else comes along and puts in a bid  above £10.  And I'll still be high bidder unless they bid more than my highest.  Why would I take the trouble to do this?  Outcome is no different than if I had bid my upper limit of £25 in the first place.  So what's the problem?

And why would it bother the seller - surely the higher I bid the better his chances of making more money.

Your upper bid is for someone to beat every time someone bids under your bid is automatically increased to be higher till your out bid!

It is up to you if you want to put the maximum you want to pay and leave it at that!

It entirely up to you how you bid as if it is something you really want you have to take your chances on bidding really high early!

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, Northmoor said:

I'm not convinced it's always a deliberate thing, some people just do not understand how eBay bidding works.  It's not like a live auction where if the auctioneer is taking bids of £10, 20, 30 and suddenly someone bids £100, that is the current price.  Doing this on eBay, the "auctioneer" corrects your bid to £40, but someone would now have to bid £110 to outbid you. 

Stacking bidders do this on eBay because they think unless they bid very close to the current maximum bid they'll overpay, but they can't over pay by more than the bidding increment for the price range that the auction is in.  On eBay, if the item is up to £20 and the increment is 20p, you can't pay more than the second highest bidder's maximum bid plus 20p, even if you've bid £100.

To summarise, some people are numpties.

Ebay likes to encourage bidders to 'Bid again - don't lose it!', whilst sellers are saying if you bid more than once they'll remove your new bid? Different agendas at play?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

8 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

If he doesn't want people to bid more than once he shouldn't put his goods in an auction.  T*sser.

"You're the high bidder. | Increase maximum bid | Saved in your Watch list | Remove" - What eBay thinks is happening? You could "Increase maximum bid" once or twice and then have it declared "stacking" and have bids removed by the seller?

• Like 2