EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium

Is there any evidence that BR Carflats were used to convey 1950's style containers?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234771492746

A limited edition N Gauge Society carflat ruined by supergluing some containers on it, and it looks like the glue has warped the whole thing too!

• Like 2

On 16/11/2022 at 01:29, PieGuyRob said:

Though if you look hard enough on Ebay some genuine bargains can be had. I got my current Bachmann release of 97201 second hand in an Ebay auction for half of Bachmann's rrp. I got my Bachmann MPV for less than retail in an Ebay auction, and, certainly a lot less than Hattons have examples for sale for.

I guess it is like everything else in life. You just have to be savvy, wise, and, above all else patient, eventually what you want will come along at the right price.

Of course, since getting back into the hobby I already have learned quite a bit and indeed become a lot more wise for the wear! But probably what is still the best place to "smart shopping" is at any Train & Toy fairs where you are almost guaranteed a good bargain and having the item physically there in front of you, you exactly what you're getting!

9 minutes ago, R. Knowles said:

Of course, since getting back into the hobby I already have learned quite a bit and indeed become a lot more wise for the wear! But probably what is still the best place to "smart shopping" is at any Train & Toy fairs where you are almost guaranteed a good bargain and having the item physically there in front of you, you exactly what you're getting!

Quite and you can often get the chance to see a loco running or test it yourself with a 9v radio battery.

The last show I went to there was a stall full of new Bachmann 4 wheeled wagons, £10 each or 3 for £27.

I did wonder how many of the PO wagons would get snapped up and put on eBay for £19 plus £4.50 post.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Is there any evidence that BR Carflats were used to convey 1950's style containers?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234771492746

A limited edition N Gauge Society carflat ruined by supergluing some containers on it, and it looks like the glue has warped the whole thing too!

Can't beat that white furry haze from the overuse of thin cyanoacrylate. That wagon would probably shatter if you tried removing the containers.

One of a job lot of PO wagons I bought off eBay had had a load made by a little expanding foam and a layer of coal. The solvent had badly affected the plastic and Initial attempts to remove the load caused the body to crumble. More reckless levering saw the body and chassis break into three pieces.

Wheels in spares box, rest in bin.

• Like 2

On 16/11/2022 at 01:29, PieGuyRob said:

I guess it is like everything else in life. You just have to be savvy, wise, and, above all else patient, eventually what you want will come along at the right price.

There is also the other side of the coin. Fools overpaying for common, run-of-the-mill items. The funniest example I saw was when the Slaters OO wagon kits were only available secondhand and some were going for £30+ a kit. When these came back on the market the fools kept paying far more than retail and several people were selling obviously new kits.... they still didn't catch on for a couple of weeks despite multiple chancers selling them!

This still makes me laugh!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Rowsley17D said:

UNKNOWN MAKE 'N' GAUGE BR CLASS 27 DIESEL LOCOMOTIVE

SPARES OR REPAIR BOXED CONDITION

NON RUNNER - NEEDS ATTENTION

SOLD AS SEEN

Boxed: YES - WRONG TIRED BOX

What's "Boxed Condition"?

Having gone ten rounds with Mike Tyson.

• Funny 5

1 hour ago, Madreddog said:

There is also the other side of the coin. Fools overpaying for common, run-of-the-mill items. The funniest example I saw was when the Slaters OO wagon kits were only available secondhand and some were going for £30+ a kit. When these came back on the market the fools kept paying far more than retail and several people were selling obviously new kits.... they still didn't catch on for a couple of weeks despite multiple chancers selling them!

This still makes me laugh!

It is said that 'fools and their money are easily parted'. A lot of dosh disappears via ebay!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Can't beat that white furry haze from the overuse of thin cyanoacrylate. That wagon would probably shatter if you tried removing the containers.

One of a job lot of PO wagons I bought off eBay had had a load made by a little expanding foam and a layer of coal. The solvent had badly affected the plastic and Initial attempts to remove the load caused the body to crumble. More reckless levering saw the body and chassis break into three pieces.

Wheels in spares box, rest in bin.

Re 'furry haze': “we should remember how repulsive our carnivorous habits would seem to an intelligent rabbit.” - just sayin'! 😎🐰

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

It is said that 'fools and their money are easily parted'. A lot of dosh disappears via ebay!

You wouldn't believe the number of times I sit watching an item and laughing at how much people overpay. I will admit to taking advantage of their desperation and listing items at the underbidder's bid on a small number of occasions on non-model railway items.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 15/11/2022 at 22:41, R. Knowles said:

More from Rails:

I could be wrong but this would appear to be another mazak victim. For £109.99 no less:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195354972745?hash=item2d7c105249:g:-fYAAOSwDINjJd3Q

Same with this Bachmann 37, though not quite as bad as the above:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204105644645?hash=item2f85a4fa65:g:ek0AAOSw5ehjNaHj

And this Class 56 appears to be missing all but one its buffers!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204141120250?hash=item2f87c24afa:g:c-EAAOSwMlpjY-Fy

Box tired... well put out of its misery then by putting down... along with its contents 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Why did he waste time and paint writing the "s" in "scrap"?

What's with the hairy ear weeds growing there... it really needs to be completely covered by the torn off trouser patch so it's hidden from sight

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold