Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

EBay madness

Marcyg

42 minutes ago, TimberValleyRailway said:

I thought that the bubble had burst on those things and the people who have talked up the rarity value got their bank accounts thoroughly spanked? 

If the toy fairs we've been to lately are anything to go by, there's stall after stall filled with thousands of new, mint in box diecasts that aren't selling either. There's still a few worthwhile current / recent  railway items and vintage diecast to be had, but a lot of stuff never seems to shift.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Ye D61xx gads!  I suppose the idea is that you don't see both ends at once, but whoever did that to it would have got a better finish by just dipping the end of the loco into a yellow paint pot...

Not the worst bargain out there for some impoverished schoolkid who's not afraid to do a bit of restoration, assuming it runs, that is...

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Whatever we on RMWeb think of him, is is presumably a very successful eBay trader, from the number of transactions he has made (nearly 47,000) and the Feedback rating.

Looking at his feedback comments he also seems to have a number of regular customers. Proof perhaps that their are a lot of people out there willing to pay a lots of money for what we might consider poor and overpriced items.

He also trades in Studebakers where I think his pseudonym comes from Go Studebaker. True to form, his Studebaker currently for sale is notably dearer than the others on eBay.

No doubt.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I thought that the bubble had burst on those things and the people who have talked up the rarity value got their bank accounts thoroughly spanked? 

If the toy fairs we've been to lately are anything to go by, there's stall after stall filled with thousands of new, mint in box diecasts that aren't selling either. There's still a few worthwhile current / recent  railway items and vintage diecast to be had, but a lot of stuff never seems to shift.

I guess they're not priced to sell?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

I guess they're not priced to sell?

No, but if some kn*bsalad does buy them, the result will be touted by folks stuck with hundreds at a fiver apiece as evidence that the values are creeping up again, jump on the investment collectibles bandwagon quick before you're left behind.

Know when to sell and the last one stuck with a load of toy buses he's paid £700 apiece for is a rotten egg! 

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

It has, well and truly.  Most of the big bang of diecast buses made by the likes of EFE and Corgi OOC were eagerly snapped up and commanded crazy prices, now you are lucky if you can cover the cost of the postage.  Many of these limited editions were in the tens of thousands of units!!

The two Hattons examples are what I term next generation diecast buses, better detailed and produced in far less numbers (500 to a 1000 of each usually) but their high price tag new has put a lot off, especially those who got not so much burnt as incinerated when the great collectors diecast market spectacularly imploded and many remain on stalls at shows up and down the land gathering increasing layers of dust.

There is a reason why the history of the diecast bus market is littered with the corpses of many a company, EFE, Corgi, Lledo and Northcord all were big, all went bust and were mostly bought up.  Since then, EFE has done virtually nothing under Bachmann's care (branding for other manufacturers rail models aside) and Hornby seem to have forgotten they even own Corgi it seems.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Thanks John, I'll just stick with 1950s and 60s Dinkys and Corgis I've bought simply because I like them, (and have neither the room or cash for the full size cars!) rather than thinking they might be stupid money some day. A few of course are, but I don't have any of those! 

• Like 1

Each to their own and I wouldn't say don't do it if it makes you happy, but I have always thought of the limited edition market as lazy collecting. Just sit in front of your computer and type in your card details.

It might be a limited edition of 500 at a never to be repeated price, but is it possible that there's less than 500 people actually want one who also have the cash?

All those die-casts are going to sit in their boxes, in darkened rooms. Unlike the old diecasts from the days before the instant collector's item, none of these will be thrown down the stairs, out of the bedroom window or at your little brother's head.

None will fly down the pavement, off a homemade ramp, be buried in the garden or set on fire.

But it was obvious to some of us that the bubble would burst.

I do find it amusing that some folks on here will buy an expensive LE locomotive or stock, renumber it, weather it, throw the couplings in the bin where they belong an shock! Horror! Actually run it on some shunting layout rather the once round the oval to prove it works.

I had thought that perhaps the manufacturers have been making a lot of locos which look beautiful, but run (or fail to run) like a washing machine full of nails, because ninety percent of the production run will only ever come out of the box to go in a display case, so it's worth standing replacements to a handful of weirdos who actually play with their motorised toy?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

6 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I had thought that perhaps the manufacturers have been making a lot of locos which look beautiful, but run (or fail to run) like a washing machine full of nails, because ninety percent of the production run will only ever come out of the box to go in a display case, so it's worth standing replacements to a handful of weirdos who actually play with their motorised toy?

Del Prado, anyone?

🤣🤣🤣

• Funny 4

18 hours ago, JDW said:

Still can't understand his pricing, especially when stuff sits around for so long (he's had the 153 years and the value is only going to go down!), but other items seem to be about right, as some have pointed out on here a few times.

153 years? If so he's been trading since before ebay,  the birth of the internet,  and indeed since Victorian times. No wonder he's sold 45000 items. 

Edited by Ducking Giraffe
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

17 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Any betting that this gets no bids, despite the amount of work allegedly put in? 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/266083314626?

"Fully fitted with everything you can imagine on a layout." Oh I don't know! I've got a pretty furtile imagination when it comes to layouts!

It probably also has a substantial reserve to get beyond.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

"Fully fitted with everything you can imagine on a layout." Oh I don't know! I've got a pretty furtile imagination when it comes to layouts!

It probably also has a substantial reserve to get beyond.

A   furtile imagination? Did you mean fertile or furtive , or perhaps, subconsciously, both? 😉

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2