RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

On 08/12/2022 at 22:58, Paul H Vigor said:

The seller appears to displaying a functioning loco on a section of moulded, plastic track? Really doesn't give the best impression to a potential buyer!

Funny place to put the flangeless drivers!

• Like 2

On 09/12/2022 at 11:15, John M Upton said:

They are having a go at the worthless Lledo Days Gone vans now:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204179672217?hash=item2f8a0e8c99:g:aPEAAOSw84hjjv32

Taking worthless scrap and converting it into even more worthless scrap.

Whoever's doing this "scrapyard weathering" is crap at it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I'll come clean. I've bought stuff from Gostude...

Not all Gostude items are overpriced, I've bought from him in the past, and I didn't pay over the odds for what I bought.  We can laugh at the ludicrous items, but there's no need to be abusive about it.

If course we all have our standards, I don't think it's abusive, far worse happens in the workplace, or at least it did in my day!

Taking the p!ss and ego deflating are all part of life's rich tapestry.

ps. I've bought stuff from him too!

Mike.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

37 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I don't think it's abusive, far worse happens in the workplace, or at least it did in my day!

Workplace abuse, even of the mildest kind doesn't hang about as similar behaviour does on the internet.  The thing to bear in mind when posting is "what would this post sound like if brought up at an industrial tribunal, or in court".

I'm not suggesting that anyone is in danger of that, but it's a slippery slope.

Lets just stick to insulting the stuff and the prices asked, not the person.

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 3
  • Agree 3

I've also bought the odd thing from him that I thought to be worth having, unopened, obsolete wagon kits about 20-30% cheaper than elsewhere. 

But when he, or anyone else is trying to flog overpriced junk whilst vaguely alluding to rarity or grand provenance, we shall point and laugh.

close-up-photo-beautiful-her-lady-index-finger-point-you-hand-show-loser-symbol-forehead-laughing-out-loud-close-up-photo-144265820.jpg.382256fb341900d88dd25c3fa858de0f.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

7 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I've also bought the odd thing from him that I thought to be worth having, unopened, obsolete wagon kits about 20-30% cheaper than elsewhere. 

But when he, or anyone else is trying to flog overpriced junk whilst vaguely alluding to rarity or grand provenance, we shall point and laugh.

close-up-photo-beautiful-her-lady-index-finger-point-you-hand-show-loser-symbol-forehead-laughing-out-loud-close-up-photo-144265820.jpg.382256fb341900d88dd25c3fa858de0f.jpg

And always remember to make the "L" shape with your right hand....

🤪

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

Some more misrepresented tat from 3.seas on Ebay (and there are eight pages of this stuff):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204224446008?hash=item2f8cb9be38:g:H1IAAOSwGKxjRWm-

The word salad description says:

"3 x Large Vintage 1940's Original World War II LNER BR Railways Transport Train Wagon Blank Card Paper Railwayana Label Job Lot

circa 1940's originals"

despite the fact that the cards themselves display an issue date of March 1950 and are headed "British Railways"

Something else:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204187265429?hash=item2f8a826995:g:9vsAAOSwyLFjmu6m

Now I don't know about you but I never in all my days saw an HST power car in anything like that state...and what is that water crane for?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Swissrail said:

Something else:

Now I don't know about you but I never in all my days saw an HST power car in anything like that state...and what is that water crane for?

Even if the HST ware in that state, the windows wouldn't be requiring washing, as they would have been smashed long ago!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Swissrail said:

I think we have been here before with this. I think I passed comment on what the guy with the milk churn is doing!

Still funny non the less. The guy has clearly never been to a modern scrap yard. All the HST's that have been scrapped were in relatively good condition body shell wise. The ones that weren't were due to unfortunate collisions that are well documented, and, were scrapped behind closed doors.

Is this the same vendor that did a "scrap yard condition" Deltic in 2 tone green livery? All the scrapped Deltics were in BR blue, and, didn't have Barry condition levels of rust.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Swissrail said:

Something else:

That looks more like "THE WORST TOILET IN SCOTLAND" from the movie "Trainspotting" than anything in a scrapyard.

• Funny 5

On 17/12/2022 at 10:10, Paul H Vigor said:

'thehouseofantiqueslondon' is proving to be a very rich seam of 'madness'! 😎

I've been right through this man's listings on Ebay and there is a theme throughout...."early 20th Century folk art" and "completely solid in structure and form". All of it is stupidly priced and a lot of it looks like the kind of reproductions you find in tourist tat places, suitable aged of course to give it that "authentic" look.

When I was  kid, places like this were called junk shops. Now they're "antique shops" and charge accordingly.

We live in an age of euphemisms.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 18/12/2022 at 10:39, John Besley said:

The reply ...

This item is currently in our main sales office sat comfortably on the coffee table, its sure does create a discussion when client come to see us. FYI, the item weighs over 25 to 40kg so this item would need a courier if you need it delivered. in answering your question, please take into consideration that we are antiques dealers (please review our feedback) for peace of mind. We have been doing this job for a long time, the same as a carpenter would look at a piece of furniture and know what the items made from and roughly when it was made. The date 1930 is based upon our professional assessment however indeed I would not go further than the mid-20th century as the wear of the material, flaking of the paint which has happened naturally, and this item has not been kept outside to form its natural rusting also.  I can also tell you that the collector was based in Minety UK and used to work as a caretaker for steam museum nearby, in his early years of moving from Scotland to Swindon. We have also visited this gentleman and his family many times over the years and have obtained a few other pieces of train memorabilia from him.  Lastly, we had to pay up for this item as my buying manager Sam fell in love with it instantly, just to clarify this is a scratch built static object not movable item, it was specifically made to be displayed, that’s why it’s so unique and special. To give you some idea, our sales manager Max has refused an offer from a collector in Canada which was over £2.5k earlier this year so your offer would need to be based upon this ratio. I can empathise know when spending money of this nature (as we do it all the time) its can be reassuring to know as much as possible, however in our trade as much as the background and history is important, most of the time our items are sold on the fact of their unique decorative natural. And this is most certainly one of those objects. Either way, if you have further questions, I’m happy to help. Harry

This looks like the sort of florid, verbose and incompetent English I see every day in letters from West African scammers who pretend to be baggage handlers at American Airports who say they've "stumbled" onto huge metal "trunk" boxes that have my email address on them, which are stuffed with millions of dollars and which can be sent on to me for "only" $50...using an iTunes card of course.

In other words...bull****

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Hroth said:

I'll come clean. I've bought stuff from Gostude...

Not all Gostude items are overpriced, I've bought from him in the past, and I didn't pay over the odds for what I bought.  We can laugh at the ludicrous items, but there's no need to be abusive about it.

I suspect he applies a standard %age markup to whatever he paid for his stuff, and prices according to that.  His markup is a bit steep, clearly, but if he gets something cheap he sells it on relatively cheap, hence the occasional reasonable purchase one can find in his 'sellers other items'.  He's constant fun though, especially his descriptions, which are masterpieces of mendacious chiselling descriptive fiction.  He's not the only one, just the best known, and his business model keeps him in classic supercars apparently!

He is a loser, all the way to the bank.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Hroth said:

Workplace abuse, even of the mildest kind doesn't hang about as similar behaviour does on the internet.  The thing to bear in mind when posting is "what would this post sound like if brought up at an industrial tribunal, or in court".

I'm not suggesting that anyone is in danger of that, but it's a slippery slope.

Lets just stick to insulting the stuff and the prices asked, not the person.

I'm with The Hrothster on this; I'm not comfortable with the scatology, which I think is needless.  We don't have to like Ollie, but let's be gentlemen about it, gentlemen!

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Swissrail said:

No, it isn't.  The pans are for collecting 1500 vdc electricity from overhead cables on the Manchester-Sheffield-Wath system, the Woodhead route, which was electrified between 1954 and 1970, when the route was closed in favour of the Midland's Hope Valley route.  The EM2 was a DC electric locomotive not a diesel, used for the express passenger services, while the companion EM1 Bo-Bo was used for mixed traffic and freight work.

The model was introduced by Triang in 1958 IIRC, and one could buy OLE that delivered 12vdc to the pans, although the model could pick up conventionally from the track.  By this means one could control two locomotives separately on the same section of track.  Trix made the EM1, but I don't know if it could pick up from OLE.  Both were very good RTR models for their day, scale to size and well detailed.  The original Triang model was E27000 Electra (the class were named for classical Greek deities) in simple lined green livery, with an syp version appearing later.  Some of the class were painted in 'electric blue' to match the AL series 25kv electrics at Manchester, IIRC both in this plain white lined version and a plain blue IIRC, but TTBOMK none ever recieved fye or Rail Blue.  The EM1s did recieve rail blue livery however.

Pandora (interesting name for a rather boxy loco) is probably fairly rare, and the price seems a bit steep but not unduly so.  I would excuse this listing from duty on this thread...

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

The joke is that it's being advertised as a diesel...

If you look at the other listings he’s done one then copied and pasted it and inadvertently left the word diesel in it. I’ve made similar mistakes. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Hroth said:

The cab, boiler and smokebox look so un-hall-like that you get the feeling that kits have been mix and matched!

Here's a wonky O gauge Hall, also on eBay, which does look more or less like a Hall should..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225361508729

A Franken-Hall, perchance?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The Johnster said:

No, it isn't.  The pans are for collecting 1500 vdc electricity

Hmmm. I bought my first Ian Allan ABC of British Railways Locomotives with my own pocket money in 1966. I had a Triang EM2...R.351 in unprototypical BR Rail Blue so yes...I know it was a 1500VDC electric locomotive and what its pantographs are for.

Edited by Swissrail
  • Like 4