EBay madness

Marcyg

16 hours ago, The Johnster said:

(see Sutton Coldfield driver fatigue 1955 and arguably Potters Bar cracked rail 2002),

Potters Bar 2002 wasn't a broken rail - the points moved under a train travelling at speed.  I don't know that cause of their doing so was ever established with certainty though, as various suggestions were made at the time of some sort of improper activity nearby.

Sutton Coldfield 1955 was caused by excessive speed on a tight curve, and its official driver was on the cushions because of alleged fatigue due to rough riding.  The actual driver was supposed to be there just conducting for route knowledge, but he and the fireman were both killed and weren't around to suggest rough riding as the cause.  I guess they maybe both fell asleep, or they may have been trying to make up lost time; just as I have heard it suggested by somebody who might know that the 1958 four-train crash here in Hitchin was perhaps caused by crew asleep at the controls whilst the official explanation was fog. 

Sutton Coldfield had a signal (not relevant to the crash) which was as far as I know unique in having a co-acting arm mounted offset on a lower bracket so that it could be seen despite the platfom canopy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Potters Bar 2002 wasn't a broken rail - the points moved under a train travelling at speed.  I don't know that cause of their doing so was ever established with certainty though, as various suggestions were made at the time of some sort of improper activity nearby.

I seem to remember there were suggestions that Jarvis had sent men to work on the wrong turnout because they'd been told to attend to the one on the Up line but since they had virtually no experience of working on the railways they took that to mean "up north" and so were actually working on the Down line. I could be talking bo11ocks though. 🤪

Edited by Swissrail
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Swissrail said:

I seem to remember there were suggestions that Jarvis had sent men to work on the wrong turnout because they'd been told to attend to the one on the Up line but since they had virtually no experience of working on the railways they took that to mean "up north" and so were actually working on the Down line". I could be talking bo11ocks though. 🤪

There was confusion and speculation as to who was actually there.  It was suggested by some that sub-contractors were involved. Probably because a lot of people were interviewed, the official accident report took longer than usual to emerge and says "The panel was not able to establish with certainty how the front and rear adjustable stretcher bars came to be in the condition in which they were found following the derailment"  and also said the possibility of malicious intervention could not be ruled out.  Jarvis Rail had been responsible for maintenance in the area and a few years later went into administration.  Reading between the lines, Network Rail (founded the same year as the accident) seem to have had little confidence in them.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

There was confusion and speculation as to who was actually there.  It was suggested by some that sub-contractors were involved. Probably because a lot of people were interviewed, the official accident report took longer than usual to emerge and says "The panel was not able to establish with certainty how the front and rear adjustable stretcher bars came to be in the condition in which they were found following the derailment"  and also said the possibility of malicious intervention could not be ruled out.  Jarvis Rail had been responsible for maintenance in the area and a few years later went into administration.  Reading between the lines, Network Rail (founded the same year as the accident) seem to have had little confidence in them.

Am I correct in thinking that Network Rail took over from Railtrack?

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

Am I correct in thinking that Network Rail took over from Railtrack?

Yes and still neck and neck with the highways agency for a silver medal in the art of sitting in vans eating McDonald's, but still lagging well behind the police.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 4

29 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

As in: "Don't Stand So Close to Me"??

As in "Do you want a cup of coffee whilst you're sat down blocking the road and annoying the public who you should be getting on side, we're all going to Costa anyway?"

That kind of police.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Another of my favourites. A Sherman tank, depending on the model variant weighs in at between 33 and 42 Tons.

I think that's one bent Lowmac.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/385112072923?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=nT7tTcV-QSq&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=3qkTzGg7QRS&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Indeed - a railway modelling cliche along with bridges and busses and multi-track tunnel portals with two scale feet of “hill” above them, usually with a church on top ( must make grave digging a challenge).

The tank looks like a solid resin wargaming model, judging by the half relief running gear and the large moulding stub under the chassis.  The tarpaulin cover is probably a blessing.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Another of my favourites. A Sherman tank, depending on the model variant weighs in at between 33 and 42 Tons.

I think that's one bent Lowmac.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/385112072923?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=nT7tTcV-QSq&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=3qkTzGg7QRS&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

In photo 4, the Lowmac underframe does look bent!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, MrWolf said:

The "shabby chic" Tri-ang clerestory coaches have floated to the surface again.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363986028859

They even look like The Unflushables...

If Go$tude's defence of his silly prices is that his items are collectible rarities, it falls down here. These coaches may be rare (debateable), but they look as if they've been dipped in sewage so they're not in original condition and therefore not collectible. That makes them jumble sale tat worth a fiver if he's lucky.

Edited by Swissrail
  • Agree 3

12 minutes ago, ianmacc said:

The price for those teak coaches is eye watering but I actually don’t think the paint job is all that bad for what it is. A fiver each at a model shop and plenty of folk would snap them up. 

LNER teak coaches are not my thing, but would they have used teak (or painted teak) on the roof and underframe as well?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, eastglosmog said:

LNER teak coaches are not my thing, but would they have used teak (or painted teak) on the roof and underframe as well?

Solebars yes, and wheel centres. Rest of the underframe black. Roof would have been white lead which very quickly turned grey, heading to near black in time.

Edited by Bucoops
  • Like 2

I think someone used one of those paint kits used to "upcycle" (Aaggh! Hate that word, kill its pretentiousness, kill it with fire..... Etc etc etc.) old bits of furniture.

Hence why I called them Shabby chic clerestories.

If you can get that muck off, there's cut and shut material, but not at that price.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4