EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

For another fifty quid my mate Balwindar says his cousin can get you a proper Bengal tiger, housetrained and everything, innit....

Problem with that is, if it turns out not to be housetrained, who's going to scold it??? 

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

2 hours ago, 40152 said:

Been watching the price of this box of tat creep up. Lots of lovely Lima N gauge locos including the aforementioned mutant Deltic and a handful of their hopeless 31s, a couple of Minitrix 27s that don’t look like anything that ever emerged from BRCW and a 37 shell. All marked as spares or repair:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/354574629040

How high do we reckon this will go then? 

I've put them into my watch list, purely out of morbid curiosity.

They're lovely examples too aren't they?

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Maybe someone tipped him off.

Maybe he tunes in here regularly to see if his name comes up.

There's a shiny foil balloon stuck in the tree outside our house, maybe.....

Nah, it says Britney is 21 today! on it in glitter...

But maybe that's a decoy too....

• Funny 4

33 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Or what we call a "Twit Fest"*

* Other, similar words are available...

"Place your Snow Scatter and some Beige Flock on the metal plate of the Pro Grass Box Applicator, clip the sheep with the crocodile clip, hold it above the metal plate and turn the Applicator on. The Fibres will fly and stick to your sheep, where you applied the glue earlier on. If you want to make some black sheep, we’ve thought about it, use the same process with the Black Flock instead." Someone's going to get raided by the RSPCA!

Edited by Paul H Vigor
to add information
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
On 13/02/2023 at 22:09, Swissrail said:

I wrote to RR to point out that these items were not just double the price, but quadruple the postage of the manufacturer and their response was, "that's nice".

They're clearly schysters and don't give a sh!t

Yet, bucket loads of 'any publicity, is good publicity' from RMweb. How easy for them?

By all means post the odd item which attracts attention, but having your catalogue exposed for FREE must be good for business. If it wasn't, they would be complaining to Andy Y.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Yet, bucket loads of 'any publicity, is good publicity' from RMweb. How easy for them?

I know that's the standard view, but if you owned RR, would you want publicity that showed you up to be an unprincipled chiseller with no regard for decency and fairness? I wouldn't.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Swissrail said:

I know that's the standard view, but if you owned RR, would you want publicity that showed you up to be an unprincipled chiseller with no regard for decency and fairness? I wouldn't.

If they didn't like your feedback, they are welcome to change their business methods. Since they don't appear to care, then the conclusion is that the business methods work well enough for them.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, kevinlms said:

If they didn't like your feedback, they are welcome to change their business methods. Since they don't appear to care, then the conclusion is that the business methods work well enough for them.

And that is a hellish and sad indictment of the ethics of our world. "It pays me to  be an exploitative conman, if my customers are mug enough to fall for my deliberate bullsh!t, that's their problem. Why should I care about doing the right thing by others? My bank balance is rising and that's all that matters".

Edited by Swissrail
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Swissrail said:

And that is a hellish and sad indictment of the ethics of our world. "It pays me to  be an exploitative conman, if my customers are mug enough to fall for my deliberate , that's their problem. Why should I care about doing the right thing by others? My bank balance is rising and that's all that matters".

And do you truly believe that outing them here is going to change their ethics? Dream on.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

And do you truly believe that outing them here is going to change their ethics? Dream on.

So it's not worth pointing out, is that it? Just let them get on with it? That kind of apathy is one of the reasons the world is in such a mess. No one gives a sh!t.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Swissrail said:

So it's not worth pointing out, is that it? Just let them get on with it? That kind of apathy is one of the reasons the world is in such a mess. No one gives a sh!t.

They do give a sh!t, about a lot of things in fact, but the fact is that money rules.

There's a huge amount of money to be made from keeping things exactly as they are and pretending that we are going forwards.

I'll only get put on the naughty step if I go into details!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Swissrail said:

The people that ought to give a sh1t (why hide it?) is eBay and they clearly never have and never will. As long as their fees get paid, they don't care. So what point is being the police?

As I said before, point them out, but don't make the huge issue out of it, because nothing will change.

Edited by kevinlms
typo!
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

5 hours ago, 009 micro modeller said:

Also, if you read the description carefully - how can it be simultaneously black and green?

its probably that fancy paint that changes colour.... maybe not

i'm more concerned with the BR era rebodied 5250 gallon tender it has which wouldn't have existed when the loco did.... its always puzzled me why wrenn chose to use the least numerous and shortest lived tender variant on both the merchant navy and rebuilt light pacifics they made

• Like 2